What was your first car?

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lets be a bit more patriotic, years ago the british used to fly in wellingtons now anything goes, trainers, flip flops.

When being a kid was much simpler   

Tip for all the Audi gang if you move your seat forward more you could get even closer to my bumper.

Posted Images

st ans chas yes the brakes on a mg y are something to be desired they are crap. but I, will tell you some thing you would not pick one up today for £20 put another 3 naughts on the end (If its had a nut and bolt renovation)

Michael, was it the heartbeat shape they wear a cracking car to drive but Christ they could rot, they suffered terrible from metal worm rot but I have a soft spot for them.

Don,i was going to put photo of MG on but struggling to work out how, got it on to photobucket thats about it.So till then my second car, now that would be worth something now,1963 mini pickup bought in 1968 story goes like this used to go fishing with my workmate Tommy Lyodal (he could tell you about santa fe)his dad was lock keeper down meadow lane where we used to fish.a chap who lived on a boat(service manager at Beardalls vw w/b) had this mini pickup so thought would'nt mind one.some while later answered an ad in the post low and behold it was the same one so bought it for £105 it was immaculate 29000miles willow green 225 TAL had till I got married then there was 3 so it had to go always missed it though.back to the photo thing now to sort it out, if not might be back with car 3.sorry if I've gone on a bit.

I think I did mention my first car in this thread, but my first powered road vehicle was a Raleigh Supermatic Moped. That is why I was so fit. Pushing the flaming thing up hills. Did anyone else have a Raleigh moped?

st.anns chas, good photo of y bet you wish you had it now, don,t worry about cracking on a bit , you should see me some times, well all the time,, sorry can,t help you to put photos on page it,s to complicated for me, does my ed in

bilbraborn I used a supa matic moped ,my Vauxhall cresta broke down and I used my mates to go to work on at ratcliffe on soar power station it was in winter time , god I was bloody cold on that thing used it for about 2 weeks when I got to the power station I had icicles hanging of me snout hey but it did do a lot to the gallon. dead cheap to run

hi st annn,s chas did this mate of yours tom loydal did he have brothers david and micheal they lived on the corner of Kirkby street in a small shop

Hi Don, don't think so, but not sure he did have brothers and a sister as I remember they lived at the meadow lock house we used to keep in touch when we had W J Furse reunions but not heard from him for some time, although some of us still meet up.

Hi bilbraborn did'nt have a Raleigh moped, my uncle did but then he worked for Raleigh,my first machine was a scooter ISO Milano 150cc 287 GTO saved all my wages being Marsdens the grocers (woodborough road) errand boy after school, Hunto was only up the road,delivering orders on the push bike with the basket on the front earned my 15 bob a week used to deliver all over,always up hills it seemed.

I remember the filling station at Wollaton near the dual carriageway bit on Trowell Road, used to have one of those machines where you set the 2 stroke mix, put the hose into your tank and pushed the handle backwards and forwards until you were full. Only if you didn't push it all the way it didn't register but still filled. You know the rest.

My first car was a Mini 850 - bought it for a fiver back in 1968 from my bruvver's friend as he needed the money - I was 22 and my dad called me a big headed B----r and said who did I think I was as women didn't drive cars.........The registration was FLW 810 - It was pale blue with a radio ariel that went all the way to the back of the car........It went like a rocket on wheels, I called her Lucy (after my gran) and she was great to drive, never let me down and there was hardly any traffic on the roads back then......... Hucknall to Nottingham in no time........Bought 4 gallons of petrol for a £1 and got my oil checked for free at a petrol station situated at the top of Queens Drive Nottm......I packed all my friends in and we hit the town till very late, no more running for last buses...............I always had plenty of friends of both sexes in those days, always wondered why..............Have had a few cars over the years, but never one like that, just like that 1st love - still have fond memories of courting on the back seat, not much leg room - ah hum !!!............do not drive anymore now, leave it to him indoors and my daughter to run me around........the traffic scares me today......

• Upvote 3

A-1959-Austin-Seven-Mini-001_zpsffe72e2b

Mine 1959 Mini (Austin Seven).

Reminds me of my 1st mini.........

Our first car was in ........1972 an Austin 1100 H reg 1970

1976 an Austin Maxi M reg 1974

Followed by.........Austin Maxi...Mini Cooper...Mini Clubman...Lada...3x Metros...Fiat Punto, now we have a Fiesta.

The best of the lot so far is the Ford Fiesta 08 Diesel that we have now, done 113.000 miles in five yrs, we do a lot of country side exploring, so our cars clock up a lot of miles quickly.

When I met my hubby in 1969, he had a Morris 1100 - MFU 408F - Good job it could not speak, the carryings on......

• Upvote 2

Do you remember in the old broadsheet Nottingham Evenine Post on a Friday there would be pages and pages of private line ads for cars of all descriptions - often two or three columns of Ford Populars (the pre-100E model) - at prices ranging from about £25 to £100 depending on age and condition.

When I was a temp at GT Cars, they were Renault Dealers - I used to type the advert which was in the Evening Post............

The only hand signals in use today seem to be the 'V' sign and that one with a rthe only people in all the family who had cars,

My uncle Joe had a black vanguard in the 1950's, It had those orange indicators which popped up when you were turning a corner and one day it dropped off, my uncle Jack had a convertable like the ones in the old war films the German Officer's drove, he wore a white scarf and goggles, he looked like Biggles, they were the only 2 family members who had cars and I always thought that they must be very rich because they had cars - I know now why they could afford cars, they did not have kids.....................

Hand signals WHAT????? Ha Ha Ha Ha. Half the population don't even use their indicators, including taxi drivers, bus drivers etc. Bone idle buggers. And some of those that do use them as they are turning or after they've turned. And on the motorway as they are actually changing lanes instead of INDICATING. IE indicating that they INTEND to change lanes. Too late when they are actually doing it. We know what they are doing. Most of new drivers wouldn't know what hand signals are or as Benjamin says, only the V signs and middle finger signs. If they are too stupid or lazy to just flick their indicator switch, there's no chance of them doing hand signals.

• Upvote 2

My first car was a Triumph Herald estate. One of the reasons I liked it was because the rear seats folded down, giving some quite useful space in the back for all sorts of things.

After I'd had it a couple of months, I was hit by a stationary car and pushed the front wheel-arch onto the wheel. Fortunately me and a policeman managed to unwedge it with his wooden truncheon. After another couple of months, a Polish man drove across me on Turney St. I braked hard and stopped, but clipped his back wing. He was going so fast he rolled over a few times up towards St Faiths and landed on his roof. He crawled out, surprised but fortunately unhurt. My other front wing then had a matching dent on it. I took my girlfriend a ride one day and going round the Canal St/London Rd island, the passenger door swung open. She was not amused, I can still see her face. I carried a pick-axe handle, because the starter motor used to stick quite often and I'd have to tip the bonnet and give it a good whack. The gearbox was always dodgy but one day it seperated from the engine and that was that. And I'd only just spent the previous day applying some new 'go-faster' GT body stripes too.

I loved that car and was very sorry to see it go. Funnily enough, my girlfriend was too.

• Upvote 2