What was your first car?

My first car was a Daf,orrible little thing,I had to put bricks under it to stop it escaping down the drive,that was in the 70s.i don't think I have seen any that have survived. When out shopping the other day I saw a woman park a Dormobile,it was lovely,looked like she had just been on holiday in it,not sure when Dormobiles first came out,but haven't seen one for years.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lets be a bit more patriotic, years ago the british used to fly in wellingtons now anything goes, trainers, flip flops.

When being a kid was much simpler   

Tip for all the Audi gang if you move your seat forward more you could get even closer to my bumper.

Posted Images

My first car was this one, A Wolseley 6/80 bought between 6 of us for £30 , we were all 17 at the time and no-one had passed their test.

On a weekend 6 went out and often many more came back. No seat belt or drink driving laws then.

ATO%20309_zpsveoyneso.jpg?1439397080214&

ATO%20309%20interior_zps9mdfusfo.jpg?143

• Upvote 3

Mine was a green Morris 1000 ,1952 (it was as old as me).I bought it from a work mate for £20.I was 18 and just passed my test,2nd attempt.I remember sorting out the insurance, 3rd party fire & theft, with the AA at the Head Office in London.

Mine was a mini 850 - FLW 810 -........great to have wheels back then, could park anywhere and I got 4 gallons of petrol at the top of Queen's Drive for a £1.........

• Upvote 1

My dad had a Reliant, (it was more rounded than the one used in Only Fools and Horses). We all used to pile in it to go to Skeggy for the week, Lord knows how we all fitted in along with the luggage! We were coming through Grantham once when the exhaust pipe fell off and we carried on the journey with it wedged across us in the back seat...................

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

My first car was a 7 cwt Ford Thames van with the old 3 gears. When going up hill it would also slip out of 2nd gear so you had to drive with your left knee up against the gear lever

• 5 months later...

The first car I bought was from a friend in 1961....it was a 1949 London Taxi.....that cost me £25....a lot of money in those days..../then sticking with the 1949 year, I bought a Morris Oxford ....one of the most reliable cars I've ever had

• 1 month later...

My First mode of transport was a triumph tiger cub , cost about 7 pound . and then onto a 500 cc BSA shooting star twin which i had for years . and then onto a Berkley Sports car w2hich from the forom looked like a jaguar , well if you had a few drinks before looking. but it onlyhad one wheel at the back . it had a 350cc villiers engine so obviously its top speed was a little slower than a jag .

and then onto the first of 3 morris minors . most were over 10 years old but i enjoyed them so much. NOw all my cars are newish but they only get me from A to B there is no thrill of sitting behind the wheel anymore. noblue perhaps i am not allowed to have fun anymore

• Upvote 1

First car was a Morris split windscreen traveller, that didn't last long bumped it on Southchurch Drive. That was quickly followed by a Bedford 10cwt van, that took me and my mates all over the country caving and climbing and with a double mattress in the back doubled as sleeping accommodation when we were to idle to put up the tent.

3259419998_051014a82e_o.jpg

• Upvote 1

Above, (because I can't figure out how to make space for my text as well) is a scan of a photo taken around 1970/71 in High Wycombe, Bucks.

Yours truly sitting on top of my first car, a 1957 Opel Olympia Rekord. Left Hand Drive, 3 forward speed column change. It blew up shortly after this pic taken.

I was being super cool. The pic taken by Mrs Col on my Kodak Instamatic just after we met.

45 yrs ago. Seems like yesterday.

Col

• Upvote 1
  • 10 months later...

It's called leasing, and one of my daughters has done it for years. I'll see her today, so I'll make enquiries. 

Ive often considered it. 

My missus has got one, think it's a PCP plan. Put a deposit down and so much a month, after 3 years you can buy the car or hand it back and start again with a new one. I don't think there's much difference between that and buying outright.

I'm told by the dealerships that this is the way most people finance cars these days. Around 80% apparently. When I last bought a car in June 2016 I had two trade ins and was going to pay the balance in cash but was persuaded to take three years interest free credit. They threw in lots of other incentives as well so I thought why not. 

I've done both over the years, lease /buy.  When I had my own business there were tax advantages to leasing.  (This is back in Canada) it may be different in the UK.  You could write off a percentage of the payments where the vehicle was used for the business.

The other advantage of the lease was that after three years if it was a lemon you could just turn it in.  If it was good and still low mileage it was worth buying it out and keeping it.  I think there are a lot of factors to consider before signing on the dotted line.  In my time leasing was certainly a good way to get a nice new vehicle with a low down payment.  That said, you are going to pay at one end of the deal or the other.

• Upvote 1