What was your first car?

L122 RVO (I think) Rover 216 with the Honda engine, very smooth, lovely ride plenty of room,quiet and quick

Rog

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lets be a bit more patriotic, years ago the british used to fly in wellingtons now anything goes, trainers, flip flops.

When being a kid was much simpler   

Tip for all the Audi gang if you move your seat forward more you could get even closer to my bumper.

Posted Images

Mk1 Ford Consul convertible. £40 squire can't sat fairer than that can I? genuine white leather upholstery that is, the door? oh that's an easy fix anyone can do it............

Never did get the door fixed but it was easy to scoop me mam up and lift her over the side with the hood down and how cool was it to step into a car rather than open doors?

• Upvote 1

In a similar vein to trogg I was driving up Ainsworth Road in Radcliffe with a car battery in the boot which I had failed to sell to a local scrapyard. The traffic was sparse and just as I got to a decent rate of knots this vision of loveliness appeared.  It would have been rude not to have given this lady my full attention. As I looked up literally split seconds later I was confronted with a car boot just yards away. I slammed the brakes on and heard the disconcerting sound of the battery roll in the boot.God was kind to me that day and I managed to stop in time.I rushed home, threw the boot lid open and there in front of me was a pool of acid.The wife had been given a large quantity of material some months earlier and having donned some long length rubber gloves I managed to soak up most of the excess. The following day at work I had one of the lads neutralise what left with loads of Sodium Carbonate.I still occasionally have a mental debate has to whether that young lady was worth all the bother but most of the time I think she was.   

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

An NSU Prinz, around 1962, bought from a dealer behind the Ice Stadium for £250 provided by grandma as a wedding present in 1968.  Took it on honeymoon around Devon and Cornwall, and had it in Manchester until 1970, when I sold it to Race's scrapyard in Northenden. I bought a Melanie LP on the proceeds of sale.

Had a good few since, but the most useful, and sadly missed, was a Toyota Previa. The crappiest was a Jaguar XJ6, and the most coveted the Rover 75, of which I had three in succession.

I bet the car didn't have a 'Brand New Key' !

• Like 2

My first car (in the early 60s) was a 1946 Riley RMA. The engine design was that of a 1935 Kestrel and which stayed in production until 1957. 

I polished the paintwork with Brasso. I learned a lot about cars with that vehicle.

I cringe when I think of how I much I paid, it turned out it was in very poor condition. My neighbour at that time was a qualified mechanical engineer and he stood looking at it, shaking his head and tut-tutting. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Willow wilson said:

My first car (in the early 60s) was a 1946 Riley RMA

I always thought they were quite good looking, very stylish.

• Like 1
On 3/10/2019 at 10:37 PM, Cliff Ton said:

The idea of swapping an NSU Prinz for a Melanie LP must be one of the most bizarre exchanges to have ever taken place.

It was no swap. The scrapyard gave me £5.00 for my car, and the LP cost me £4 19s 11d. I've still got the LP.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A Hillman Hunter. I asked my brother to look for a car for me since he allegedly knew about them. The first thing I discovered about it was when I filled up the petrol tank the fuel started leaking out of a hole part way up the tank. The seller had left it with only a little fuel to hide this fault! I had numerous problems with the engine overheating whenever I did a long journey, if the AA had had a blacklist I would have been on it. My brother and I even changed the engine for a replacement one from a scrapyard because the original engine seized up. Eventually I met the love of my life, who happened to own a nearly new Ford Fiesta, so I sold my car to a mate at work who wanted to use it for drag racing. Coincidentally the engagement ring I bought around the same time cost the same as I got for the car. When I tell people I sold my car to buy an engagement ring they think it's really romantic :laughing:

• Like 2