Perhaps inevitable...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/7256761.stm

Gazza held after hotel incident

"...Former England footballer Paul Gascoigne has been detained under the Mental Health Act following an incident at a Tyneside hotel.

Northumbria Police said a 40-year-old man was detained at Gateshead's Hilton Hotel on Wednesday evening when concern was raised about his behaviour.

Mr Gascoigne had been asked to leave Newcastle's Malmaison Hotel earlier that day after a disturbance.

Police said he was not in custody and was now receiving medical treatment.

Mr Gascoigne is understood to have moved to the Hilton Hotel after leaving the Malmaison in the early hours of Wednesday.

Northumbria Police confirmed a 40-year-old man had been detained under the Mental Health Act..."

Plenty of future candidates from the present day pro' footballing gang, I'd suggest...

Cheers

Robt P.

The sport needs characters Rob ,unfortunately it's usually the best players that go awry, ie Best, Blanchflower,Greaves,Bowles to name but a few along side Mr Gascoigne , and if he is not carefull, I can see a certain Mr Rooney falling by the wayside also

Yes indeed...Blanchflower being the biggest surprise, one of the most intelligent of people.

In 50 years+ of following the game, I have never seen a better 'reader' of the game than Danny - magnificent interceptor and creator of counter-attack - all done at about 6mph.! Brilliant journalist too...

Once saw him play on a quagmire of a White Hart Lane pitch when he totally ran the proceedings for the first 45 minutes.

21 players trooped off at half-time covered in mud...except for Danny who walked off with his kit in pristine condition! - all so sad, when you recall his eventual demise.

How about Barton as padded-cell mate for Rooney?

Cheers

Robt P.

Whilst I would be inclined to agree with you Rob there is one vital thing lacking, and that is, that he is not a brilliant player (In my opinion) like the rest.

Why? (with the exception of Marradona ) don't we hear of the foreign stars running riot?

A few words on Paul Gascoigne's dizzying descent downwards:

What next for Paul Gascoigne?

I was never a fan particularly but I find his story a pretty sad one. Even more so after I picked his book Being Gazza up for a couple of quid in a discount book store.

Beefy and Rob: How did Danny Blanchflower go off the rails?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Blanchflower

*I know nothing about football. But I do know that name.

thumb_Danny_Blanchflower.jpg

http://www.soccerpulse.com/

* If I was on want to be a millionair, and the million $ question was.

"Name a football team and any one of its players?" I could not answer it!

Beefy and Rob: How did Danny Blanchflower go off the rails?

As I understand it - and some of this might be heresay - his demise began with a series of severe marital and personal problems, having an adverse effect on his general outlook. Reflected in his much read weekly soccer column, which became more and more incoherent and illogical - culminating in his dismissal by the Sunday Express?

He then sank in to some depression, which was later seen to be onsetting Alzheimers disease and - unknown to his many friends, who may have helped him - lived alone in some squalor in a small Barnes apartment. Only when some London red-top reported his downfall, and that his daily food intake was just one beefburger, were folks made aware of his plight. Too late by then; he died shortly afterwards, primarily from Alzheimers.

Such a tragedy for all those who saw him play, or read his wonderful articles - which were always brilliantly written in a haunting third-party style.

Additionally of course, his brother - and fellow NI international Jackie, was left paralysed by the Munich air crash...

Cheers

Robt P.

Thanks for the info Rob. A very interesting if sad story. I had known that Blanchflower was that most subtle of footballers and a very eloquent man too. I must search out some of his writing. His column certainly sounded worth a regular read.

I understood that he famously refused Eamon Andrews with his big red book when surprised for an episode of This is Your Life too?

I understood that he famously refused Eamon Andrews with his big red book when surprised for an episode of This is Your Life too?

Yes, indeed he did...I'd quite forgotten.

IIRC, he was the first 'victim' to do so, on either side of the Atlantic...

He was quoted as saying something like "Why should the viewing public be at the instant beck and call of the smug TV companies?"...brilliant. Still more than valid today when, if anything, the broadcasters arrogance is arguably even worse.

Cheers

Robt P.

IMMSC they 'Caught' him in a petrol station and his responce to the grinning Eamon Andrews was "F*** OFF" which he did with his tail between his legs

• 2 years later...

Former England footballer Paul Gascoigne has been detained under the Mental Health Act following an incident at a Tyneside hotel.

Yeah Gazzas gone he's taking Raoul Moat some chicken a dressing gown a fishing rod some lager a big jacket some bread ?

http://www.onlybees.com/b/2010/07/gazza-on-real-radio-raoul-moat/

Yeah Gazzas gone he's taking Raoul Moat some chicken a dressing gown a fishing rod some lager a big jacket some bread ?

http://www.onlybees.com/b/2010/07/gazza-on-real-radio-raoul-moat/

That interview with Paul Gascoine is extremely sad. It doesn't confer much respect for Real Radio that they allowed and encouraged him to share his drunken and slightly deranged views and offers of 'help' live on-air. One wonders when Paul Gascoine's now-car-crash life will end as another statistic, he really seems to be on a rapid, unstoppable downward spiral. Sad stuff.

• 4 years later...

This is a shame.........mental illness is awful and a terrible stigma, especially if it is a celebtrity........My heart goes out to Paul, there is obviously a reason for it, something in his childhood maybe as a lot of kids of my/his generation were treated badly by their parent's, teachers, bullies, relatives. etc...........

• Upvote 2

Ref,..........Wayne Rooney's boxing farce,.........in todays 'Sun' pictures of him scoring at the weekend then falling backwards as if k.o'd again,if he'd had a 'rollocking' from the Manager it had'nt bothered him,plus i did find it funny,............crack on Wayne,lol.

I think regarding Gazza, it's a combination of drink, exceptionally low intelligence and being easily led.

• Upvote 3

Whatever the reasons, I still think it's really sad how alcohol ruins peoples lives. Like hard drugs, it's almost impossible to get themselves clean and they end up on a downward slope. Family, job and home are lost because of their drinking. I'm lucky that none of my close or extended family have any addictions but it must be hell for those that have.

• Upvote 2

My first wife was an alcoholic although I didn't realise so when I married her.

we had been "friends a number of years before we got together.

Her death(in 2002) was not an easy one but it has had one good point.

It made me look at my own consumption............................................Yes I drink a lot less these days.

• Upvote 3
  • 5 months later...

I would imagine that many families have a 'drink' story in their history, and we are no exception. Our paternal grandfather was a drinker, and nasty with it, by all accounts. He had a sister, Alice, and his daughter (my aunt) told me a story about her. She was very religious, and was going with a young man who was either in the clergy or training for it. She took him home to meet the family. After a while her brother walked in, drunk. The young man walked out and Alice never heard from him again. She remained a spinster to the end of her life in her eighties. As for granddad, he was in the First World War from 1914 until almost the end. Who are we to judge whether or not his drink problem was caused by that experience.

• Upvote 2