Chippy's Ain't Wot They Used To Be!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

^^^^^^^That Chinese chippy is that the one where the sign above the window read FISH    R. JUST   CHIPS. I always assumed the owner was R. Just

Compo #74 Salt and Pepper Squid is one of my favourites. The trick is not to cook it too long as it can get chewy. Don't overload the oil, just cook a few at a time, and if needed let it come bac

Perhaps a Nottstalgia outing there then !

Posted Images

They'd be cold by the time I got back to Basford!

I thought this was a kick the carpenter thread....LOL

LOL = Laughing Out Loud.

• Upvote 1

Out of all the fish and chip shops that I have frequented down through the years, I still reckon that Chippy on Wollaton Street was the best to date.

Their fritters were big and golden, their chips melted in your mouth.

A lot different to the dried up offerings on sale these days that have been pre-cooked in some factory before delivery to the chippy to heat up in his vats.

Robin Hood fish and chip shop on Arkwright Street remains my firm favourite of all time.

Don't know about our other Aussie friends, but I haven't found what I would call a decent real chippy here in oz.

When I say real I mean none of your frozen chips but real potatoes chipped on site and cooked to perfection. Th english chippy's will always win.

Actually had cod and chips a few weeks ago, fish was good chips were mediocre as said above.

Catfan

In the totally uncivilised lands of the north east cheesy chips are normal fare. I frankly find them disgusting. I know that the north easterners ( not all are geordies) are uncivilised, is because they do not serve mushy peas with mint sauce.

Mind you, I have a favourite stall which I frequent outside of the Stadium of Light which serves the most delicious chips. Many is the time when I am with my step- son and the best thing we can say about the Sunderland match is the chips were good.

Oh and the beer at Wetherspoons, the Coopers Rose.

• Upvote 1

Had a trip to Skeggy back in the summer (what summer!) There's a big chippy on the corner by the clock tower, Harry Ramsden's.

Very basic, no frills, self service in polystyrene trays and plastic tables.

My God, I thought, Harry Ramsden's has gone downhill, then I had another look, it was Harry Ramsbottom's!

Funny thing was, the Asian guy behind the counter who seemed to be the boss didn't look like a Ramsden or a Ramsbottom!

Went in the "new look" Moulin Rouge chippy yesterday. Just as good as before with excellent service and lovely fish and chips.

There was a big advertisement in yesterday's post about the Wollaton Fish Bar on Russell Drive opening on Monday after a complete refurbishment with 20% off for the first week.

• 1 year later...
On Friday, February 24, 2012 at 7:59 PM, Braddy said:

If you go to whitby go to the magpie chip chop and restaurant they right on the docks ,they make great chips and peas,as for the fish its brilliant the fish is at least 13 ins long.

The Magpie ain't what it used to be, it's bleddy burnt down! 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-39769836

• Upvote 1

Watched the Ch4 Food Unwrapped programme over the weekend.  They were deep frying squid in batter and serving them with chips as per Thai style grub, saying that squid could become more available from the British coast and be offered as an alternative to cod and chips in chippys.  Never one to knock a thing until I've tried it, I have bought a squid to batter for my tea tomorrow.  Anyone else tried battered squid?

I had some tiny things in Greece many years ago, and they were most enjoyable. I love anything fishy....... Well almost !