I went to one at that big Hi Fi shop on Upper Parliament Street (Next door to The Hollies Café) and won a slip mat in the raffle!!

Any body remember them experimenting with gas speakers some years back? (Instead of a membrane vibrating it was a gas flame ,they supposedly made a purer sound.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's strange I remain almost totally un-shocked, perhaps I've developed an immunity to persistent moaning!    

Good point K j.  I've said before if one of us dies, no one else knows unless their relatives can access NS.  The rest of us just wonder why they quit posting.  Mrs. L has my password and instructions

Yes I think he was into B & O in later years. Is the store still running? I would imagine if it is it would be run by another family member or something. I'm sure Pete would be getting about li

Answers for Frank, ans Beefy, I was on air at Trent at the time, and did a comp at the Albany, for which the prize was a radio show for whichever dj won it, what we didnt mention was that it was a one off show!

A guy called Phillip won it, it was in association with Stuart Westmoreland, and I still have an Evening Post pic of me, Phillp, and Gary Burton ( now on Smooth) in the studio, with Phillip at the controls, or so it looked like!

Now, the hifi shop on Parliament st, was Lind Air first, and then renamed The Land Of Hifi, I had many chums there, in fact im sure i worked there very briefly for some strange reason, for a day at least! A jewish guy called Mike Aarons was the manager back then, with my old chum Ivan/Ivor? who only had one arm, anyone remember him?

• 1 year later...
Hi everyone, glad to be here. I remember Pete's shop and his move to Bobbers Mill. What about the surplus shop on Arkwright street? Used to buy stuff from there too. In 69/70 I built a sinclair Z50 audio amp and the

preamp specified in the booklet. I liked it anyway! I us3ed a couple of 12 inch speakers out of some old valve radios and stuffed them in plywood cabs - all sadly lost now. I loved the look of the Sinclair Neoteric. Frequented the Slipper in WB most weeks at that time also. Other similar shops of the period were bozzeyes (Universal Electronics) and Damon Electronics.

The shop on Arkwright Street was Charles Town. He sold kits and components. I bought 4 Goodmans horn speakers from there for our group's PA system in the 70's

• 3 weeks later...

I thought the hifi shop on Upper Parliament Street was a Laskys. I bought my first system (Goldring Lenco GL78, Goodmans tuner-amp, Wharfedale speakers) there about 1975.

Stuart Westmoreland had a shop for a short while on Wheeler Gate, where Lakeland now resides.

I remember going to the then annual HiFi events at the Albany. Drooling over a system costing £2500 and coming away with Robbie Robertson's CD which cost £8.

Hey Rockit!

Welcome.

Those old systems bring back some very happy memories, don't they?

I have changed the electronics over the years but I doubt I will ever replace those old Wharfedales. I would probably not be able to hear the difference anyway.

I suppose those of us over 60 were on the cutting edge of Hi-Fi in a way.

There is a lot of stuff out there now with more flashing lights and bells and whistles and I would not want to argue with anyone as to whether it is sonically better or not. It may well be.

There is just something about the sound of those old LPs that is hard to describe.

As I noted in an earlier post I guess I'm just stuck in a time warp. thumbsup

Dave

IIRC Lasky's was in the Vic Centre unit subsequently rebranded as Dixon's.

I also remember seeing a Commodore PET for sale in Lind C 1975-6 and my Dad was thinking about buying one because he thought "they were the way ahead". How right he was.

• 1 month later...

IIRC Lasky's was in the Vic Centre unit subsequently rebranded as Dixon's.

I also remember seeing a Commodore PET for sale in Lind C 1975-6 and my Dad was thinking about buying one because he thought "they were the way ahead". How right he was.

My recollections of Laskys shop, was just up from Market Square, on Long Row, near to where Jaeger are situated. In fact I bought some AR speakers from there. (AR as in Accoustic Research, the American firm, not A&R Cambridge which became Arcam.

I upgraded my sub woofer from Superfi a few weeks ago. Damn thing is gooooood.

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=2363

Makes even the normal TV sound good. The new Blu-ray player coupled with the projector and 3m screen really brings it alive.

Which projector are you using, Frank?

I am currently using a Panasonic PT AX 100U. Picture quality is great. Nine foot wide image is good.

Same issues as Hi-Fi though. They keep improving the so and so's, higher resolution etc. and I keep persuading the boss that we need to upgrade even though she claims she can't see any difference. kickme

That should be a great projector.

Mitsubishi have a pretty good reputation. I had a Mitsubishi HC3 before the Panny. Actually still have it as a back up. Resolution was not quite as high as the Panny but still excellent picture quality and brightness. You know the old upgrade bug. ;)

• 1 year later...

In respose to Dave (Loppylugs)question about Petes Electricals on Arkwright Street. As one of Peters children it was lovely to see your compliments about my father. Dad and Graham Richard opened the shop in 1963 (when I was a toddler). We are not sure at what stage the name changed to Peter Anson Electronics. The shop then moved to Bobbers Mill and became Peter Anson Ltd when Arkwright Street was compulsory purchased for redevelopment in the early 1970s. They had become a B & O dealer whilst still on Arkwright Street, at one time going on to become one of the longest serving dealerships. Some other manufactures names I recall are Finlux, Tanburg and National Panasonic. Graham retired a few years before my Dad and the Bobbersmill shop closed when Dad retired in March 2002. Sadly Dad passed away this year after a short illness, but we still have contact and links with many of the old customers.

I knew Pete as well as his brother Cranson he played in the group Mothers Worry or something like that i think his real first name was Mick

I did buy my B&O audio system & B&O tv from Pete

I still have a few valve amps but for my guitars you can still get all the valves no problem

I knew Pete as well as his brother Cranson he played in the group Mothers Worry or something like that i think his real first name was Mick

I did buy my B&O audio system & B&O tv from Pete

I still have a few valve amps but for my guitars you can still get all the valves no problem

Peter still has 2 brothers, Bob and Mike. It was most likely Bob who played in the group as he went on to be a professional musician and writer. He used various stage names and played in quite a few groups so I will try to remember to ask them next time I see them.

Thanks Shirley for your update.

Sorry to hear of the passing of your father, Peter.

I think I bought a pair of 'Eagle' Headphones from him in the early 70's.

Would be interested in your family's Nottingham further musical connections.

Hi Shirley and welcome to the site.

So sorry to hear of your dad's passing. Please accept my heartfelt condolences.

It was easy to be complementary about your dad. He obviously cared about his customers and his business. He took time to explain things to a newby to the Hi-Fi world in the mid sixties. His advice was based on what was best for the customer and not what would simply put more money in his pocket. I am still using the Wharfedale super Linton speakers I bought from him in 1966. They have traveled to Canada and now down to Georgia USA. Still sound as good as the day I brought them home.

Look forward to hearing more memories from you in the days ahead.

Dave

A little more about Cranson he rode a Vincent motorcycle & wore a German uniform on stage ,Lived on Valley Rd , The singer was the hippy guy "Sutch" that used to hang about the market square & the Don Juan Cafe Song that i remember was Gloria, I think Sutch's girlfriend was also named Gloria.

I thought the group was crap !inthebin!

If he road a Vincent motorcycle that would more likely be Mike (yes they did live on Valley Road) the youngest of the brothers. I think Mikes music career was very short lived as I don't remember it! but I do remember the bike. Bobs music career included a number 1 hit in the South of France, and also a song he wrote the music and lyrics to sung by Mary Hopkins called Temma Harbour (not sure I have spelt Temma correctly)which made it into the charts onto top of the pops and was danced to by pans people. Unfortunately no one at my school believed my uncle had written it as he was using a stage name!!

Hi Shirley and welcome to the site.

So sorry to hear of your dad's passing. Please accept my heartfelt condolences.

It was easy to be complementary about your dad. He obviously cared about his customers and his business. He took time to explain things to a newby to the Hi-Fi world in the mid sixties. His advice was based on what was best for the customer and not what would simply put more money in his pocket. I am still using the Wharfedale super Linton speakers I bought from him in 1966. They have traveled to Canada and now down to Georgia USA. Still sound as good as the day I brought them home.

Look forward to hearing more memories from you in the days ahead.

Dave

Thank you for your kind comments, which I will print off to pass on to other members of the family. As with a lot of electrical equipment they seemed to make them better and built to last in those days.

Thank you for your kind comments, which I will print off to pass on to other members of the family. As with a lot of electrical equipment they seemed to make them better and built to last in those days.

Hi Shirley & welcome Sorry to hear about your dad , My wife most likely used to babysit you as she also knew your dad

She seems to think your mums name was Shirley also.

I used to be into audio stuff but building & dynoing engines has put that on the back burner, To be honest i bought some things called TV ears a couple of weeks ago just so i can hear the tv & HiFi at a reasonable level without peeing of the rest of the family !rotfl!

It was the best & cheapest audio stuff i have ever bought & probably the most value i have got out of them, Like i dont have to read lips anymore .

I also knew Mick Anson (Cranson), as well as being in the same motorcycle club, we both went to Sensei Asano's classes at Carlton Forum. We would leave together, him on his Black Shadow and myself on my Norton framed Ariel Square Four.

He told me about his brother writing Temma Harbour, he also mentioned that his brother was advised to open a Swiss bank account because of money it was bringing in. Re his band, I also knew Sutch, he was a regular at the White Hart,but I cannot remember him ever being in Cranson's band. BTW Cranson had two Vincents at the same time.

He was a vegetarian way before it became popular. We went to a veggie restaurant in Leicester in the 60's, I wasn't impressed. It would be another twenty years before I gave up meat.

• 2 weeks later...

Bobs music career included a number 1 hit in the South of France, and also a song he wrote the music and lyrics to sung by Mary Hopkins called Temma Harbour (not sure I have spelt Temma correctly)which made it into the charts onto top of the pops and was danced to by pans people. Unfortunately no one at my school believed my uncle had written it as he was using a stage name!!

Pans people always did the same dance whatever the record... But who cares? :)