How does the error occur, what is the exact message?

Maybe...

When you double-click a drive letter (hard disk) from My Computer, you may see any of the following error messages:

"Please go to the Control Panel to install and configure system components"

Windows cannot find Autoplay.exe

You'll also see that Autoplay is the default context menu when you right-click the drive.

Resolution

This happens if there is a file named Autorun.inf in the drive's root directory. Right-click the drive and choose "open", look for this file Autorun.inf and delete it. Restart Windows.

If the Autorun.inf line reads the following, the first error message is displayed:

[autorun]

open=Setup.exe

C:\Windows\System32\Setup.exe is launched actually

If the Autorun.inf line reads the following, the second error message is displayed:

[autorun]

open=Filename.exe

(where the filename.exe file is missing)

More Information

The file Autorun.inf is not intended to be on the hard drive root folder. They are used in CD-ROMs (to launch CD programs automatically).

All that was very interesting Mick could i ask you to translate it back into Greek.

sorry for being flipant...or summut like that but you see I have set a target of 5 thousand posts before August 2008.

Bip.

Go to start button... help and support... Search for restore

Then you need to reset the computer to an earlier restore point

System Restore overviewSystem Restore is a component of Windows XP Home Edition that you can use to restore your computer to a previous state, if a problem occurs, without losing your personal data files (such as Microsoft Word documents, browsing history, drawings, favorites, or e-mail). System Restore monitors changes to the system and some application files, and it automatically creates easily identified restore points. These restore points allow you to revert the system to a previous time. They are created daily and at the time of significant system events (such as when an application or driver is installed). You can also create and name your own restore points at any time.

Notes

Restoring your computer does not affect or change your personal data files. It is a good idea to back up your data files periodically. For example, you might copy your data files to removable media, such as a writable compact disc, once a week.

For an overview of the other recovery technologies provided with Windows XP, see Recovering Your System.

For more information about System Restore, see Understanding System Restore.

This is easy I have done this many times when my system plays me up.

It's either that or a quick stab with a sharp impliment through one of it's air vents.

Would it be to much trouble if i could open the box rather than taking the money Micheal?

Bip.

• 2 weeks later...