I was there between 1993 and 1998, i can remember all the old buildings that they have now torn down including the sports hall, outside toilets and the 3 outside class rooms on the right hand side that i think included the cookery room.

My dad was there sometime in the early 60's and early 70's, i do remember him saying that displine was tough even then.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My father who has just turned 90 yrs old, went Chandos boys school in around 1939 his name is Kitchener and worked on the railway at Colwick sheds, my grandmother was the midwife in Netherfield. Has

I was at chandos from 1960-1965…I was in class 1c,2b,3b,4b, not the brightest of kids but have to say looking back I had some great times. The 1st form master I had was Mr. Whitingham (dick) then Mr.

Hi loppylugs thanks for the welcome. I remember Brazier only had him for a year as he went to the U.A.S. in an exchange scheme. Can’t remember his replacement. Mr Winters was our science master and hi

Just thought I'd give this a "bump" A lot of new folks on the site since this topic first aired. Maybe dig up some new memories.

I was at Chandos 1958/62, previously at Ashwell St, strangely enough I posted yesterday (26th) regarding the corporal punishment that took place and the teachers who dealt it out. In my time there, the staff, I recall were Messrs. Marsh, Winters, Fox, Stanley, Brazier, Quartermaine, Parker, Jones, Marshall (aka Mad Mick) Still and Pike (woodwork) Whittington/ham PE. dont remember the metalwork teacher though.

the more i look at that photo the more of my mum i can see she would often stand and read het paper like that as it was difficult to turn those broad sheets sitting down when you only little without getting the paper in a mess and as it was the libiary paper she would not want to do that i can see her handbag on the tableand what broberbly be her selection of books for that day

• 2 years later...

Perhaps a bit of a long shot, but I know a few members are former pupils of Chandos St School for Boys, and am wondering if anyone may have known, or remember Alan Brown,from the mid 50s. Lived on Conway Rd and played football for Chandos Old Boys. Sadly Alan passed away last week and the funeral is 25th Feb 2-45 At Bramcote Crem.

• 2 months later...

My father who has just turned 90 yrs old, went Chandos boys school in around 1939 his name is Kitchener and worked on the railway at Colwick sheds, my grandmother was the midwife in Netherfield.

Has anyone got any memories or photos in and around that time with my Dad on them.

Gerronweya.

• Upvote 1

Welcome to Nottstalgia, kitchener. I look forward to reading your posts and sharing your memories. There's quite a few Nottstalgians who've worked on the railways or share an interest in it. There's also many threads regarding the railway so I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.

You can also enter 'Colwick Sheds' in the search engine at the top right hand side of this page. Change the 'This Topic' to 'Forums' by clicking on it. A list of related topics will appear for you to read.

• 3 months later...

I was at chandos from 1960-1965…I was in class 1c,2b,3b,4b, not the brightest of kids but have to say looking back I had some great times. The 1st form master I had was Mr. Whitingham (dick) then Mr. Parker (Pedro) Mr. Jones was next (jonesy) then last of all Mr. Fox (foxy) I hated Mr Marsh the head at that time who was very stern looking. I had him for maths (not my top subject) Mr Turner deputy head, I had him for geography. Mr Pike for wood work, Mr Jennings for metal work. Mr Marshal (mad man) he really was bonkers for art & RI. Ben Gunn for music. Never had pop Stanley for anything

Can anybody remember these teachers

• Upvote 1

Welcome to the forum NipperG.

I was there from 1956 to 1959. I left at Christmas of that year. I got out as soon as I turned fifteen. I remember some of the teachers you mentioned. Some must have been new since my time.

I have written elswhere on the forum about some of my experiences. They were not great so I won't waste bandwidth repeating them.

Teachers for me, were Brazier, Pop S, Turner, and Winters, though I only had one term with him. He seemed o-k.

I often wonder how many of em are still alive? If they are they must be a ripe old age by now.

Hi loppylugs thanks for the welcome. I remember Brazier only had him for a year as he went to the U.A.S. in an exchange scheme. Can’t remember his replacement. Mr Winters was our science master and his favourite form of punishment was a length of rubber tubing across the backside. That really hurt!! Not sure who still alive (not many I should think) but I do know Mr Marsh died along time ago of cancer

• Upvote 1

Does anybody have photos of school classes from colwick C of E junior school 1955-1960 or chandos, classes 1c-2b-3b-4b 1960-1965 as none of mine survived

Yes, I'd heard of Mr. Marsh dying. I met Mr. Still one time in the Gem or ASDA. Always liked him. He taught woodwork and tech drawing. A very patient softspoken man.

Never liked Brazier. He taught 1a. He thought nothing of shaking you 'til your teeth rattled for minor offences. I'm pretty sure I read that he had died a few years ago, but can't remember where now.

Always quite liked old Ben Gunn. He developed a liking for the classics in me that exists to this day.

Sorry I have no photos.

Hope you keep posting. I'm sure you must have a lot of interesting memories of those early sixties days.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 months later...

I was at Chandos during the war years and just after from 1939 to 1948.

I was there when the Headmasters were Mr Hempstock followed by Mr Cotes.

Some of my classmates and friends were John Oxley, Eric Monk, Dennis Morris, Carl Dawson, Derek Smith, Bernard Kingston, and Chuck Fowler 

Anyone remember Pom-Pom Simons who was there before the WW2? He used to take football and cricket.

Remember Reeds Ice Suckers?, Geesons shop? Walking down to Stoke Playing Field? Going down Gedling Pit?

Prefect's meeings? Woodwork? Metalwork? Teachers Miss Ribchester, Watts, Pop Stanly, Miss Reeve, Mr Marsh,

Miss Cook

Alan Broadhurst of Form 7, 4,and Upper 1,

Welcome Alpal.   You were there a few years before me.  I was there from 1956 to 1959. One or two of the teachers you mention were still around then.  Mr. Marsh was headmaster.  Pop Stanley was still around teaching English, History and overseeing the library.  No female teachers there in my day.

Those days were not my happiest memories I was glad to leave.

If you search around a bit you will find other members here who are Ex Chandos lads.  Hope you'll keep posting your memories.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add to the previous stuff. Mr Hempstock you might say was handy with his fist. I remember at Assembly, Frank Warburton was dealt with severely, for talking(?). He was brother of Peggy and lived on Freemans Terrace off Burton Road, Carlton: There was a fairly large family - known as "the tribe of Israel". We both went to Chandos St. and "Nobby" Green's on Main Street, Carlton.. Mr Hempstock's son Paul also attended Chandos:  He had a cricket "autograph" bat and lived near to the "Cricket Field" - Brookland Drive!

I also remember Mr Laming and Mr Billings teaching

woodwork. Mr Billings always used to tell you to "wedge it"! I think he must have been there during the wartime! Another memory was Miss Reeve, quite glamourous, who once sat on the front desk showing a lot of leg!

Mr Watts was called "killer Watts"; Miss Alison Cook also taught a Trinity Street School, and married Mr Daft one of two brothers Geoge and Leslie.

There was a cake shop on the corner of Kenrick Street, Netho' which sold "rock cakes"

Remember the Daft brothers to this day.  I seem to remember they were both active in the Trinity Methodist Sunday school when I was there as a very young child.  Can't remember their wives though.

• 9 months later...

LL I wonder if one of the brothers was Jimmy Daft, I knew him from the SRY in Carlton, talk about daft by name daft by nature, we all went parachuting at Langer airfield.

It was only a small plane with no door and only one seat for the pilot, kneeling along side him the heaviest 'L' jumper, kneeling behind him the lightest 'L' jumper and the instructor behind the pilot. The form was that after the man along side the pilot had climbed out on to the jumping platform and let go the second jumper inched forward and then climbed out. Jimmy being small was the second man out but as he inched forward from his kneeling position he tripped and fell screaming head first out the door. Fortunately the parachute did its job and straightened out the cascading still screaming Jimmy so we could have a good laugh about it.:laughing:

• Like 1

I don't rememember a Jimmy daft, NBL.  Only one I vaguely remember was a Paul Daft.  He would have been the same age as me.  Seemed a nice enough studious sort of guy.  Glad jimmy survived anyway.  He must have had enough presence of mind to pull the rip cord.  :rolleyes:

An earlier poster mentioned two brothers, George and Leslie.  I think they may have been in my Sunday School as teachers.  I wonder if either one of them might have had a son named Jimmy.

I've just learned summat!  Never knew it was a static line.  Never too old to learn.  ;). To an old electrician that sounds like something you'd use for a lightning conductor.

Reminds me of the time I was having a drink with a Btitish Airways captain friend of mine many years ago.  I foolishly referred to the rear end of an airliner as "The back wings."  He grimaced at me like a worm and said, "Tailplane, lad.  Tailplane." :rolleyes:

Loppy, it was a great experience that day, I have never been so sh1t scared as when I went up in that plane, nor so relieved as when that chute opened. If I am honest I only let go of the plane because all my mates and the wife were on the ground watching......

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Hi all, just found my way back here and very interested reading about some of the teachers. I was there from '57 to '61, 1b, 2b, 3b, 4b, have got a class photo. Hopefully I can upload it. Just tried but It's telling me it's too large, no idea how to bring it down to the size, any ideas?.

• Like 1

chippywood, it looks like you're trying to use the 'Drag files to attach here' feature at the bottom of the Reply box. Ignore it, it's a waste of time and space. To post photos here you need to use one of the Free Image Hosting sites   

https://www.google.com/search?q=free+image+hosting&oq=free+i&aqs=chrome.4.69i57j69i60l3j69i59j0.5109j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8