Any of you guys ever attend here?

I was there from 1956 until I left school in 1960. Actually end of term in 1959.

Interesting place. Discipline was TOUGH.

Had a few good friends there but I was not really sorry to leave.

Whoever said "Schooldays are the happiest days of you life." Must have been smoking something.

Called in there once on one of my trips back. I think it is now a co-ed junior school.

Wonder where everybody went?

Dave

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My father who has just turned 90 yrs old, went Chandos boys school in around 1939 his name is Kitchener and worked on the railway at Colwick sheds, my grandmother was the midwife in Netherfield. Has

I was at chandos from 1960-1965…I was in class 1c,2b,3b,4b, not the brightest of kids but have to say looking back I had some great times. The 1st form master I had was Mr. Whitingham (dick) then Mr.

Hi loppylugs thanks for the welcome. I remember Brazier only had him for a year as he went to the U.A.S. in an exchange scheme. Can’t remember his replacement. Mr Winters was our science master and hi

I know exactly what you mean Dave…

I didn’t go to the same skool as you but was equally disillusioned with the one I did attend that was William Sharpe at Billborough. 1959-1963

The teachers were bullies if they behaved like that these days they would have been up in court for child abuse.

I asked my mum once if she knew how I was treated at skool, she said she wasn’t told anything about the canings and straps I had, no wonder I con’t spele ouwt.

Bip.

I asked my mum once if she knew how I was treated at skool, she said she wasn't told anything about the canings and straps I had, no wonder I con't spele ouwt.

Bip.

The thing was Den, if you were to go home and tell your dad you had had the cane you'd get another off him(Or in my case you would)

Hi all. My hubby loved his school days,he says it was the best time of his life. As i said before he was born on gladstone street and some of his best mates were Joe Shore, Ernie Steninger, Roy Morris to name but a few. He used to play tin lurky and him and his mates used to go camping up on the playing fields at the side of the cemetary on cavendish road!

Hi all. My hubby loved his school days,he says it was the best time of his life. As i said before he was born on gladstone street and some of his best mates were Joe Shore, Ernie Steninger, Roy Morris to name but a few. He used to play tin lurky and him and his mates used to go camping up on the playing fields at the side of the cemetary on cavendish road!

Your hubby is a couple of years younger than me maybe things changed quite a bit in that time. All depends on perspective too. One person may really enjoy a certain holiday destination or restaurant, another may have nothing good to say about the same place.

Dave

Don't get me wronge I too enjoyed parts of the time I spent at skool, especially the double lesson of woodwork once a week.

I made a cracking teak coffee table in my last year and up until two or three years ago i still had it.

also in my last year I went on a skool trip to Switzerland but unfortunatley I got a hot cinder in my eye and had to have menical treatment while there.

The bullying by teachers I commented about earlier even happened in junior skool, this would be while I was about 9 10 11 and 12. those days of torture by those sadistic teachers will never ever leave me. to this day I don't remember why I was caned and strapped in such a manner. maybe I was a rebel, who knows?

Bip.

The bullying by teachers I commented about earlier even happened in junior skool, this would be while I was about 9 10 11 and 12. those days of torture by those sadistic teachers will never ever leave me. to this day I don't remember why I was caned and strapped in such a manner. maybe I was a rebel, who knows?

Whilst appreciating what you are saying about the undoubted bullying, which most of us were subject to, I'd contend that the teacher/pupil relationship has now come full-circle and that today's absence of any school discipline is a prime factor in the emergence of the chav/benefit scrounger/deadleg teenager who dominates the current scene. Few of such characters were around in 'our day', despite the often unjustified thrashings...

Cheers

V. Meldrew

Whilst appreciating what you are saying about the undoubted bullying, which most of us were subject to, I'd contend that the teacher/pupil relationship has now come full-circle and that today's absence of any school discipline is a prime factor in the emergence of the chav/benefit scrounger/deadleg teenager who dominates the current scene. Few of such characters were around in 'our day', despite the often unjustified thrashings...

Cheers

V. Meldrew

You are right Rob.

It just seems as though human beings are unable to get a good balance. I never objected to a licking if I deserved it. (Of course I never thought I did. :-) ) Wouldn't dare tell my folks I'd have got another.

What I objected to more than anything was the snide putdowns instead of encouragement and the ability of a teacher to "Rough you up." If he felt ticked off for some reason.

Society was so different 50+ years ago. I remember hearing of the type of thugs that we struggle with today receiving birching in prison. It is said that they made sure they did not get another.

The politically correct crowd always wants to excuse this behaviour by saying they are victims of their upbringing etc. so we need to send 'em for counselling.

It does not seem that we can prevail upon our politicians in ANY western nation to do the right thing so we continue to walk around with VICTIM painted on our backs.

At least here you are allowed to carry a concealed weapon if you have a permit.

That would make me think twice if I were out to rob somebody. You never know who is packing heat.

One or two thugs have found that out the hard way when they tried to mug the wrong guy.

Dave

On the subject of guns, I always remember the case of the South African man who shot a burglar entering his house through a window,only to find he had killed his daughter coming home late without her keys! (when he turned on the lights)

On the subject of guns, I always remember the case of the South African man who shot a burglar entering his house through a window,only to find he had killed his daughter coming home late without her keys! (when he turned on the lights)

Chandos St. seems pretty tame compared to this place!

Sniffer dog hunts for more bodies in Jersey children's home

A police sniffer dog that located a human skull buried beneath serveral inches of concrete in a former children's home has indicated several other areas where remains could lie.

Police are employing radar scanners in co-ordination with the specially trained dog, previously used in the search for Madeleine McCann, as they carry out an extensive search of the property now serving as Jersey's Youth Hostel.

Police believe more human remains may yet be found

Police began searching the former Haut de la Garenne home, four days ago as part of a investigation into alleged child abuse.

The alarm had been raised when three different sources indicated to officers that children reported as runaways between the 1960s and the 1980s might in fact have been killed.

Following the discovery of the skull, Lenny Harper, Jersey's deputy chief officer, who is in charge of the investigation, acknowledged that detectives "think there is the possibility they may find more remains".

"The dog has made further indications inside and outside the premises that are going to require further examination in detail later," he added today.

He also said items of clothing had been found which "tends to corroborate" the possibility that the remains of more children could have been hidden in the building's foundations.

advertisementTests are currently underway to determine whether the skull found yesterday belonged to a male or a female and their exact age.

Since the original investigations, focusing on the alleged abuse of children between 11 and 15, were made public in November, more than 140 potential victims or witnesses have contacted a helpline.

The inquiry was sparked by a series of convictions for sexual offences involving officers from the island's Sea Cadet Corps.

Those kinds of accidents are grief to all, Stan.

Obviously to the unfortunate victim, but also to the dad who has to live with the knowledge that he killed his own daughter.

It is a grief to law abiding gun owners also as it provides more arguments for the gun control crowd to try to ban all ownership of weapons.

It would seem that if there is a gun in the house there needs to be some kind of pre-arrangement to make sure that such a tragedy can never happen.

Dave

• 6 months later...

I attended Carlton Board School (Primary – 5 to 11 year olds) from ’53 to ’59 when I went to Cavendish Secondary. There wasn’t many weeks that I didn’t get caned by Mr Lockwood. His hooked cane used to hang on a heating pipe outside his office. After a while the punishment didn’t hurt & meant nothing. What did hurt though, was being thumped in the back by Mr Pugh. This would knock the wind out of you, & virtually paralyse you for a few seconds (sometimes longer) and the wooden board ‘rubber’ hitting you at the side of the head. This did knock boys out,,, but nothing was ever said – it’s a wonder he didn’t kill someone. He was totally different with the girls – he would stroke their hair & put his arm around their shoulders, just for handing their books in !

There were other strict teachers there – but we learnt right from wrong (maybe Pugh ought have learned this !).

Surely there is some correlation between todays thugs & the lack of chastisement – which is getting worse.

We have all seen films where the Inmates take over the Asylum (or drug crazed Students take over the school) & kill / torture all around them. These aren’t fiction – they are documentaries waiting to happen !

-----:-----

As an ex FAC (Fire Arm Certificate) holder, I used to get fed up of having my rifles inspected every time there was a gun crime –(which were usually [and obviously] done by hand-guns/calibres or shotguns). Even now, the Police don’t seem to realise that nearly all gun crimes are done by unlicensed weapons (usually by untraceable items - bought just for the job – then disposed of). 99.99% of licensed gun owners wouldn’t dream of ‘lending’ a gun out – as they are licensed to that particular person.

All guns should be fastened into a fixed gun cabinet. This prevents theft, & would – I assume – mean that just ‘whipping a gun out’ to shoot burglars is minimised (unless there is another intent !).

Ayup Bazza

Was that the same Messers Lockwood and Pugh who taught at Carlton Central?? I am pretty sure that the Carlton Board school moved there when the old one started to fall apart!!

I didn't go to Carlton Central myself but my older sister did, and I remember the names (I think Mr Pugh taught French too, my sister loved him)

yep,,,, must have been the same school. I don't know when or where it moved. The one I went to was on Burton Road on one sie & went through to Station Road on the other, with a little track down the side with another school gate.

There was a bakers shop near the rear, where we used to get hot 'cobs' straight from the ovens,,, & sherbet (kaylie ?! which was different colours/flavours)

Yep again,,, the same teachers,,,, I think there was a Mr Bass (geography) & Mrs and Miss Milnes (mother & daughter).

We boys would jump off the cloakroom basins onto the heating pipes,,,,, until this twonk went wrong. The pipes were hot, so I put my hands inside my jacket sleeves, & launched myself at the pipes,,,,,, only to slip off (coat sleeves arn't very 'grippy' !!) & broke my arm - oh how we laughed !!

We used to go to Arnold baths once a week by coach,,,,, & there was a 'haunted house' in between the top & bottom playgrounds - s'true.

And the school dinners,,,,, actually I liked 'em,,,,, actually I did enjoy school. Didn't seem like a chore,,, & despite the frequent canings must have learned sommat !?

maybe I know your sister - what sort of age is she now ?

She's only 49

Miss Hand rings a bell too .

About 1962/3 it moved to Carlton Central up Foxhill Road. Thinking about it you had a hell of a hike from Campbell drive down to Carlton Square every day (Then again I did it in reverse, going to Frank Wheldon for senior school!!)

How come you walked past St Pauls??

Our Sis used to go on the bus to Arnold Baths , but it was up to Carlton Forum for us as it had not long been opened.

As for the haunted house bit , where Carlton Central school was built ,there was a large orchard and house (Before my time ) and the story goes that the man who owned it (Cookie or Cooksie) gave the land to be developed for the school and insisted that they left some of the orchard for the kids to have fresh fruit, this was duly done and a large piece of orchard was left around his house (I remember this bit of orchard still being there and the old house) On his death 66/67 ish his beneficiaries sold the land and remaining orchard to the council who promptly demolished the lot and built an infant school and caretakers bungalow.

Well the spirit of old Cookie was not a happy bunny and is still reputed to walk the lands

I went to senior school with the daughter of the caretaker and she insisted that they saw him regularly he wasn't at all scarey and was often seen just walking past the window ( Now Susan was a very level headed girl , quiet and unasuming and cerainly not the kind of person to make some thing like this up!! (I hope)

I think I have a photo of old Chandos teachers somewhere .....(watch this space)

I know that Mr Richards is on there (He became my head master at St Pauls) I am going to have a good sort out tommorow (Sunday)

Found it (Why are they always hidden??)

Thanks Beefy.

Most of those guys were way before my time except old C.H. B. Marsh. He was the headmaster during my time there in the fifties. Sure knew how to use the cane!! Smoking was the major crime in those days! How times have changed. Get caught smoking and you got a so called "public execution" A caning in front of the whole school. Yet it never ceased to amaze me how many of the same guys came back for a repeat performance. Only got the cane once (I wasn't particularly good, just made sure I didn't get caught again) but I sure wasn't coming back for seconds.

Heard on the grapevine that cancer took him some time in the 60's. By the time I visited back there in 1974 the school had been converted into a mixed junior school. As far as I know it still is.

As noted the school did back onto the Midland rail line but during my time there the closest buildings to the railway were the gym' and the metal work shop. Neither of these were too troubled by the odd passing train.

Dave

Third from left on the back row is Mr Idris Richards , who was my headmaster at St Pauls C of E , on retirement he became a lay preacher in the church there

Just to let you know that the old chandos street school is now a brand new school for kids ranging from nursery age to junior school age. They had an open day last year for people to look round before it opened. My hubby could still pick out where some of the old classrooms were! Its all very hi tech now! by the way i live round the corner from the school,2 minutes walk away. Chrissy. x

Just to let you know that the old chandos street school is now a brand new school for kids ranging from nursery age to junior school age. They had an open day last year for people to look round before it opened. My hubby could still pick out where some of the old classrooms were! Its all very hi tech now! by the way i live round the corner from the school,2 minutes walk away. Chrissy. x

So where do they send the 11-15 year old boys now? In my day we were separated by the 11+ The wiseguys went to Carlton Le Willows and the rest of us to Chandos and the girls to Station Road. We used to say they should have a sign above the door. "Abandon hope all ye who enter here." Best you could hope to be was a plumber, electrician, or auto mechanic.

Interesting days.

Dave