Station Road girls and Chandos were almalgamated into Carlton le Willows in about 74 . Carlton girls becoming an annex for first years. I think that it is now industrial units.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My father who has just turned 90 yrs old, went Chandos boys school in around 1939 his name is Kitchener and worked on the railway at Colwick sheds, my grandmother was the midwife in Netherfield. Has

I was at chandos from 1960-1965…I was in class 1c,2b,3b,4b, not the brightest of kids but have to say looking back I had some great times. The 1st form master I had was Mr. Whitingham (dick) then Mr.

Hi loppylugs thanks for the welcome. I remember Brazier only had him for a year as he went to the U.A.S. in an exchange scheme. Can’t remember his replacement. Mr Winters was our science master and hi

Hi all. As ian says the old station road girls school is now mainly office type buildings,i walk past there everyday when i go to work. When the kids leave chandos school now they still go to carlton le willows where both my kids went.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Loppylugs

Ashwell Street School as of 4th October 2008

Duxford08013-1.jpg

That pile of bricks have been there for about 6 months! The local residents are up in arms about it! it is an eyesore! Probably be another 6 months before it is cleaned up.

• 2 months later...

Hiya Beefsteak,

have you got any school photos of chandos st pupils around 1930-35, its a long shot but i wondered if i could find any photo's with my father on them,i know he was a pupil there at around that time.

I know that Mr Richards is on there (He became my head master at St Pauls) I am going to have a good sort out tommorow (Sunday)

That's all I have sorry , (It came out of a Carlton history book , so the pic was there for the shot of Mr Richards who later became Haed at St Pauls)

The second photo of the two is of 1930s pupils

• 1 year later...

Perhaps if you relaxed from raising the query ad nauseum all over the group, you may get a response...

Those that are likely to know will already have 'got your message'!...inane pleading won't help.

Hello everyone!

Stephen Lawrence Merrett attending Chandos boy school...snifff doesn't ring a bell to anyone though :(...

Sorry Marzipan. Doesn't ring any bells with me, but welcome to the forum anyway.

In many ways I was glad to just forget CS School.

Dave

I apology! Didn't mean to snuggle everywhere! :)

Perhaps if you relaxed from raising the query ad nauseum all over the group, you may get a response...

Those that are likely to know will already have 'got your message'!...inane pleading won't help.

Thank you for your welcome!

Bab's seems to know him :)

Sorry Marzipan. Doesn't ring any bells with me, but welcome to the forum anyway.

Dave

You can be excused for posting in multiple threads because you are a newbie.

As you have found from P&B's response to your question, there really is no need.

I just have to know now where to put my sticky hands...without snorkling everywhere :)

Thanks to everyone for your kindness. I have never lived Netherfield, I come from Brighton and have been living overseas for over 20 years and am in my 30's...this is really for my mate I appreciate much ! So sorry once more to be clumsy ! :)

Dave

HI DAVE .

I THOUGHT YOU MIGHT HAVE KNOWN THIS FAMILY AS THEY LIVED YOUR END OF DEBIL ST BEFORE THEY MOVED TO DENNIS ST

STEVE WAS MORE MY AGE BUT HAD A SISTER AND HER NAME SLIPS MY MIND AT THE MOMENT BUT SHE WAS MORE YOURS AND OUR KATHS AGE. STEVES MUM WAS QUITE TALL AND HAD EXTREAMLY DARK HAIR AS I REMEMBER HER THEY LIVED ON DEBIL ST ITSELF.

BABS

That's all I have sorry , (It came out of a Carlton history book , so the pic was there for the shot of Mr Richards who later became Haed at St Pauls)

The second photo of the two is of 1930s pupils

IS THAT THE BOOK WITH THE OLD LADY READING THE NEWS PAPER IN CARLTON LIBARY IN IT.

WE ARE ALL SURE THAT IS OUR MUM SHE WAS ALWAYS IN THERE A GREAT READER OF NEWS PAPERS COMICS AND ALL KINDS OF BOOKS SHE LOVED TO READ RIGHT UP UNTILL SHE DIED . BUT OCORSE SHE WOULD NOT REMEMBER WHAT SHE HAD READ 5 MINS AFTER AND WOULD READ IT AGAIN AND TELL YOU ALL ABOUT IT AGAIN SOMETIMES THIS WAS REALLY FUNNY SOMETIMES YOU WANTED TO CRY.

Hello everyone!

Stephen Lawrence Merrett attending Chandos boy school...snifff doesn't ring a bell to anyone though :(...

AS YOU SAY YES REMEMBER FEZ WELL BUT THEN AGAIN I DO HAVE A REALLY GOOD LONG TERM MEMORY. THE PAT HE WAS ON ABOUT COULD HAVE BEEN PAT LIMB LIVED IN GEDLING SHE PALLED ABOUT WITH A GIRL CALED JACKIE . I DID NOT USE GAY CAFE MUCH AS MY ELDEST BROTHER RAY WAS ONE OF THE YOUTH LEADERS THERE FOR A TIME SO I HAD TO BE ON BEST BEHAVIOR ALL THE TIME OR HE WOULD SOON BE ON MY BACK SO IT WAS NOT MUCH FUN DOWN THERE FOR ME SO I WENT TO PLACES I WAS UNLIKELY TO SEE HIM OR MY YOUNGER BROTHER JOHN OR WEMMY AS HE WAS USSUALLY CALLED. SEE IF THIS RINGS ANY BELLS WITH STEVE. RAY WAS A BIKER AND HAD A LIGHT BLUE GREAVES 250 WHEN HE WAS GOING TO GAY CAFE REGULARLY STEVE MIGHT REMEMBER THIS BEING PARKED NEXT DOOR TO CHARLIE DENOONS. WAS TELLING LESLIE ABOUT THIS THREAD LAST NIGHT AND SHE SAYS SAY HELLO FROM HER.AND SHE REMEMBERS FEZ TELLING HER THAT CHARLIE HAD DONE HIM THE BIGGEST FAVOR OF HIS LIFE BY GOING OUT WITH MOG. CHARLIE AND MOG NO LONGER TOGETHER THINK CHARLIE GLAD OF THAT TOO REALLY DOING WELL FOR HIMSELF NOW HAS HIS OWN SHOOTING BUSSINESS NEAR WHATTON AND HAS BEEN REMARRIED QUITE A FEW YEARS NOW . SADLY YOUNGER BROTHER FRED DIED ABOUT FOUR YEARS AGO.

Does anyone remember a David and Andrew Macki (not sure how to spell their surname} they went to Chandos School the same time i was at Carlton Girls

Hey Bab's!!

Thanks for the info! :) Stephen's sister names Patricia...always thought she was younger then him! Didn't get it right this time :)...and yep! It's Mick Fisher he went on about! haha...I think to be more excited then he is to listen to all of your marvellous stories!

I will for sure pass the hello from both of you...He did vaguely talk about the upseting part with a girl...never went further in details...a little normal i'm just a friend of his but I think I already know very much! :)

I will anyway pass through to him all the news! Keep in touch...it's really great! Do not hesitate to ask me any information up to what I can possibly answer! :)

4844445726_e6fb1a8b0e_b.jpg

Carlton Library?

I have photographs of the Bomb Squad in the 1980s preparing to diffuse brown paper package containing... Library Books

During my days in the neighborhood the house between the two schools was the caretaker's house. When I was still an apprentice with Clarks of Netherfield we re-wired the house. Must have been a bout 1962 or so.

Headmistress in the '50s when I started school there was a Miss Brown. Mr. Jury was headmaster of the junior school there for many years.