Theres a free DVD with the Mail on Sunday tomorrow,

Danial Day Lewis's, My Left Foot.

Reminded me of a Guy in a wheelchair who lived on Bunbury Street, The Meadows around 1965.

His name was Edward, I remember as kids at first being frightened of him, But when we got to know

him we used to take him down the Rock Gardens? What happenned to him?

This in turn reminded me of another character, who we met there at the time.

He would sit under the arches by the fish pond, painting watercolour scenes on to paper plates.

Anyone remember these folks?

Isn't it strange that, back in our day, these folk were to be found all over, and were typically just regarded as a little "eccentric" despite their handicaps and treated with a kind of fondness and caring by the community. I knew a similar kind of chap in Long Eaton who made plates from old cigarette packets - he had half the kids in the neighborhood collecting the packets for him.

Today, rather than just being allowed to be "eccentric", we seem to have decided they must need special treatment, or schooling, or drugs - or something. We can't call them "eccentric" and if we comment on their eccentricity we are labelled bigots, or worse. Sometimes, I feel we are not advancing at all!

Or we go to the opposite of extremes and release the dangerous ones back into the community to kill and/or rape again