Whats this tunnel for..??

Hi,

I found a picture on some other site that has been bugging me ever since. Its a tunnel that splits and goes up King and Queen street. I was talking to someone else about it and they remember seeing light coming from the grates in the road but nothing else. The grates are a weird narrow shape and in the middle of the road, not along the kerb. And u can see rubbish at the bottom. I'd love to find a way in..

ntgm013907va2.jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can you imagine the elf & safety requirements to go down there nowadays. Lamps + emergency lamps, safety ropes + emergency safety ropes, hi vis jackets and trousers, hard hats, gas detectors and

Under the Shakespeare Street Police HQ was 3 levels of caves. The fire brigade had a key and I explored them a couple of times. The Civil defence had an emergency HQ , WW2 era, and there was  a joint

I used to tell people there was a tunnel to the council house but nobody believed me they thought Id dreamt it. Thanks for putting this on perhaps they will believe me now. Was it used for deliveries to Burtons? .

Val

On the Poultry there used to be a lift used by delivery vans that would take you under the old Burtons shop.

I would imagine it is still there.

Fantastic!

Any more information on this folks?

If I'd had the bottle of 20 years ago I would have gone in and explored (as it was slightly ajar) but I was pushed for time too ( thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it)

• 2 weeks later...

very interesting...

over in germany they have hidden tunnels and bunkers everywhere..and people go looking for them and when they find them they explore them! :)

theres a group of people who do that for aliving over there.. berlin underground sociaty,...very hush hush..;) but more people are paying to go down there..

http://berlinerunterwelten.de/en/002/002.htm

me and my boyfriend went down there for a long tour..going through winding tunnels and into rooms,,underground bunkers & shelters.. it was very interesting,

and at the end of the tour they asked us if we knew of any in england? we told them No, as i dont think theres anything like that over here..??

if a bunch of people get together and find out who owns that place..then maybe the'yd let them explore abit more...?

hmm,..wish i could explore down there..

EDIT: maybe it leads to an underground bunker? there usually hidden and out of view?..

very interesting...

over in germany they have hidden tunnels and bunkers everywhere..and people go looking for them and when they find them they explore them! :)

theres a group of people who do that for aliving over there.. berlin underground sociaty,...very hush hush..;) but more people are paying to go down there..

http://berlinerunterwelten.de/en/002/002.htm

me and my boyfriend went down there for a long tour..going through winding tunnels and into rooms,,underground bunkers & shelters.. it was very interesting,

and at the end of the tour they asked us if we knew of any in england? we told them No, as i dont think theres anything like that over here..??

if a bunch of people get together and find out who owns that place..then maybe the'yd let them explore abit more...?

hmm,..wish i could explore down there..

EDIT: maybe it leads to an underground bunker? there usually hidden and out of view?..

If you're interested in that kind of thing have a look at the Urban Exploration Forum

Urban Exploration Forum

Nottingham's tunnels and caves feature fairly frequently

Mapperley Tunnel

Not sure of the best way to attach images on here but yesterday I was in the city with my camera. I took a few of the council house lift as it was open.

It's been mentioned many times that the best way to put images on here is by using a host such as Photobucket. There are others.....

Bip.

!clapping! nice one! if only you could find out whats down there... i'll have to ask my dad to have a word with a counciller he knows..but i doubt the bloke will know..lol

but i can always ask? (if you lot want me to ;)

i can't go out yet as me and BF are waiting for argos to bring our sofa to us :D but i'll see my dad & mum sometime.

i forgot to ask the other week, did anyone from here go to the robin hood world record attempt at the castle on the 8th? i did and it was a right laugh, got chatting to this great bloke who looked like Jack Sparrow! but he was dressed up as robin hood, his costume was very orthentic (sp?) :D

we all broke the record, 1,119 dressed as robin hood in one place, woo! (soz off topicy)

also i'll be back on my scooter sometime, so i can look for more hidden places ;)

keep the piccys coming guys! (is there other gals on here, or am i the only one? lol

Who's up for it then? We could go down the lift, along the tunnel and head north under mansfield road.

Maybe finish up under the Poacher.

By the 'eck, I think Den has hit on it! The tunnel is just a method for the council members to secretly nip out for a pint of HP between making historic decisions regarding the city!

Brilliant! ;)

Peering down below the lift I could clearly see several vehicles parked up down below in what looked a sizable car park. The locked doorway to the left had steps leading down below. The door looked like it had decades of dirt and cobwebs on it.

I noticed also those grates in the centre of the road along King and Queen Street looking down into the tunnels. Impossible to see anything though.

They used to store the " Tri Sail " (the marquee that they used for the Nott'm Festival) down there .As mentioned elsewhere I used to help erect it. The masts split in two so that they would fit in the lift