Old television programmes

If you can talk about Radio,

Whats yer early memories of the Telly?

The beginning of childrens hour, with the model roundabout going round.

(Preceded by the Crescent shaped animated logo for start of the days programs... A....T....V.

Richard Hearn, Mr Pastry, Popeye...

If something went wrong, as it often did.

INTERMISSION.

(Film with the hands on the potters wheel)

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We do live in a very ‘horsey’ area. Mostly they’re just ridden round the lanes and bridle paths. One neighbour, a former member of the ‘caring profession’, a nurse, used to be the secretary of the Sou

Thank me later     

Magic Roundabout was voiced by Eric Thompson and after his death by Nigel Planer of The Young Ones fame. What I remember most was Zebedee always trying to bonk Florence as every show ended with Z

Great potential here Mick.

Used to watch quite a bit at my grandma's in the early fifties. Whirligig etc. Remember a guy by the name of Peter Butterworth. He always sat trying to boil a kettle over a candle. Don't think he ever succeeded

Then there was Billy Bunter. Probably wouldn't be allowed today. Not politically correct.

Then there was Hank and Texas Pete.

One of my early favorites was Billy Bean and his funny machine. This show was taken to task in the news because Billy had an American accent. Not surprising, it was an American show. They were worried all the kids would start speaking American I guess.

Enjoyed Amos and Andy also probably not politically correct today.

At six the system shut down 'til about seven when adult programming would start. By adult I do not mean what that term means today. They had some good plays in those days, but most of them like William Thackery, Jane Austin etc. were a bit over my head at the time.

They were the days when to use a word like "damn" would get the speaker into real hot water in the press. May have been old Gilbert Harding on What's My Line that used the word "bloody" Was he in hot water next day. Now we hardly raise an eyebrow.

We did not have to fight over channels there was only one. The set did not even have a tuner in it. You got the BEEB.

Then there was Dixon of Dock Green on Saturdays. Just a nice old copper. None of this viciousness that passes for entertainment now.

When ITV opened up we used to get Jack Jackson with his cat and the lyrics to the various pops of the day on the screen so that you could do an ancient form of Karaoke. :-) That was after we got the requisite converter and a different aerial.

I could go on for hours. Better give somebody else a chance.

Dave

And who can forget Valerie Singleton on Blue Peter?

As I mentioned on the radio forum, "The White Heather Club" was the first programme I saw on our own telly. I also remember sitting down to watch the first ever episode of "Camberwick Green". The first one out the box ?? Windy Miller. Blue Peter (Don't forget Chris Trace) Stingray,Thunderbirds and not forgetting Fireball XL5.

A quick edit here DR WHO!!!

...Thunderbirds ...

Who could forget Thuderbirds:

Lady Penelope: "Would you like a screwdriver?"

Chauffeur:"Not now m'lady, the car won't start!"

!rotfl!

Well, I thought it was funny when I was 10!

Sunday Night at the London Palladium (with Beat the Clock (Brucie))

Emergency Ward 10

Cisso Kid

Wagon Train

Take Your Pick

Double your Money

There must be loads more

Captain Pugwash. Can anyone name the characters, Roger the cabin boy was one of them.

Sorry Den it's urban myth territory. We were always told of Seaman Stains ,Seaman Willie, Master Bates, Roger the cabin boy ET AL but in truth these characters never existed. In fact there were no characters in it called Seaman at all.

It was in reality Tom the cabin boy, Master Mate and Barnabas and Willie who were just pirates

There was also a (False ) rumour that Pugwash was Aussie slang for oral sex.

Just found reference on a link Eric posted a while back (Very interesting site too)

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/pugwash.asp

Barnabas, Mate, Willy, Tom...and a few more - Cut Throat Jake being his sworn enemy.

Apparently Seaman Staines and Roger the Cabin boy were something of a myth!

Artist John Ryan also created the Harris Tweed cartoons, done in a similar style.

Cheers

Robt P.

How about old Rolf Harris and the wobbleboard.

He could sure draw a really good picture pretty quickly too.

Then there was my first crush. Sylvia Peters. I was only about ten or eleven. Wrote her a letter and she sent me an autographed picture.

Now, if I could just find it. !yowza!

Dave

Anyone recall the lesser-known character actors of that era who were always on-screen, as if on rota?

From my brain's much used trivia/junk section:

Erik Chitty, Raymond Rollett, Henry Oscar, Ewen Solon, Tutte Lemkow, Willoughby Goddard, Ann Way, John Barron, Raymond Huntley, Edward Evans, Grace Dowling, Vladek Sheybal, Peter Groves, Humphrey Lestocq, Shaun Sutton, Brian Reece, Joan Sanderson, Andre Morrel, Rita Webb, Harry Towb, Grace Roberts, Jack Watling, Ralph Brown, Philip Guard, Alexander Gauge, Archie Duncan, Rosemary Leach, Norman Bird, Jack Woolgar, Arthur Rigby, Kynaston Reeves, Richard Pascoe, Charles Lloyd-Pack, William Squire, Garrard Green, William Appleby...et al.

Most, if not all, no longer with us I'd guess...

Cheers

Robt P.

Does anyone remember the 'TONIGHT' programme hosted by Cliff Mitchelmore? At the end of each show we were treated to a song by Cy Grant playing a guitar.

Rawhide, William Tell, Robin Hood, Bonanza, Juke Box Jive, Button Moon, Blakes 7, Crown Court - just a few I can recall at the mo.

I remember Lunch Box with Noelle Gordon, and Jean Morton with the Tinga and Tucker club. Other kids shows were Champion the Wonder Horse, which drove my mother barmy with the constant neighing. Lassie, Woodentops, Andy Pandy, Bill and Ben. Adult shows had Cheyenne, my mother's pin up boy, Bonanza, Have Gun will Travel. There was horse racing with Peter Dimmock as commentator. David Nixon was a magician, Norman Evans dressed as a woman, who gossiped over the fence, and kept hoising up his bosom. My dad loved the drunk Freddie ? who hung on a lamp post and could never get his cigarette in his mouth, he kept missing.

What about "The Good old days" with John Sachs
...Lionel...

Cheers

Robt P.

...Leonard...not Lionel...

Don't believe what RP tells yer...

I know Andrew was Manuel in Fawlty Towers but why do I know the name John Sachs??

Also I was a member of the Tinga and Tucker club. Their catch phrase?? "Boomerang Woomerang". And not forgetting good old Willie Wombat

Wagon train with Rowdy Yates "Clint Eastwood" and Wishbone the wagon train cook, don't know his real name,,,,yet.

Kids programs was Magpie with Susan Stranks, in competition with Blue Peter, Zoo time with Desmond Morris, always remember him having a scorpion in a Tupperware box, steered clear of Tupperware boxes ever since.

Rog

Torchy the Battery Boy. Four Feather Falls. The Singing Ringing Tree. and The Magic Faraway Tree

Who remembers Crackerjack? Everytime they said that word, the audience yelled 'Crackerjack' Eamonn Andrews compared it. The game was always Double or Drop, everytime the kids got a question right, they had a prize put in their hands, a cabbage if it was wrong. The consolation prize was a 'Crackerjack' pencil. Don't think the kids would be happy with that nowadays. Eamonn also did This is your Life. Other programs - Bootsie and Snudge, Steptoe and Son, Car 54 Where are You? The Good Life, Open all Hours, Palladin, Morecambe and Wise, The Good Life, and there was a dancing program, was it Come Dancing, with Victor Sylvester and his orchestra. They always had a sequence dance segment, which always fascinated me that they just missed each other when crossing over!

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Old television programmes