Old television programmes

I've always credited Listen with Mother as starting my interest in history. The nursery rhymes fascinated me and I started to look into the history behind them which is, very often, dark and frightening.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We do live in a very ‘horsey’ area. Mostly they’re just ridden round the lanes and bridle paths. One neighbour, a former member of the ‘caring profession’, a nurse, used to be the secretary of the Sou

Thank me later     

Magic Roundabout was voiced by Eric Thompson and after his death by Nigel Planer of The Young Ones fame. What I remember most was Zebedee always trying to bonk Florence as every show ended with Z

I too grew up with Watch with Mother (Woodentops for me: "What have we got for dinner today? - Sawdust and hay! Sawdust and hay!") but I enjoyed Robinson Crusoe and Tales from Europe (including The Singing Ringing Tree) when I was a bit older.

1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

I was also there at that time. My big musical memory of Listen With Mother was the piano piece at the end, which I later discovered is this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WZ2-d54SEA

I used to play that, and quite well too. Now I've heard it again I shall have to re-learn it !

59 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Just doing a crossword. Clue was ‘1951 TV game’. Do you remember ‘What’s my Line’. Eamon Andrews, Lady Barnett, Barbara Kelly, David Nixon and Gilbert Harding?

Yes Phil I do, just about.

As a kid I was very confused between the 1950s celebrities Gilbert Harding, Philip Harben (TV Chef) and Robert Harbin (Magician). Took me a few years to sort that out in my head.

3 hours ago, The Engineer said:

I too grew up with Watch with Mother (Woodentops for me: "What have we got for dinner today? - Sawdust and hay! Sawdust and hay!") but I enjoyed Robinson Crusoe and Tales from Europe (including The Singing Ringing Tree) when I was a bit older.

The theme tune for Robinson Crusoe was brilliant.

My wife adored The Singing Ringing Tree and several years back went to the cinema to see the whole film rather than the TV episodes. It was in colour and she really enjoyed it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Singing-Ringing-Tree-Region-NTSC/dp/B00004YS9R/ref=sr_1_5?crid=4Z3TQDW8D1Q5&keywords=Singing+ringing+tree&qid=1659870921&sprefix=singing+ringing+tree%2Caps%2C72&sr=8-5

Just had a look on YouTube for the 'singing ringing tree' and still not sure what it's all about. The clips I saw were in German with an over voice. What era was this? It certainly wasn't on TV when I were a nipper, but then again, nobody had a television on our street. Think the first one appeared circa 1956/7. A 12" screen in a wardrobe.

My dad always used to have a thing about the test card and had to make sure it was right every time the telly went on. We didn’t have a phone in the early days and had to go next door to my grandpa who did. He used to set a timer and charge us! We found out that if you lifted the phone and dialled 6 and put it down again it would ring. Of course he would answer it and no one there. We thought it was hilarious. Little things eh.

I like to hear a bit of local gossip. My wife goes up the village to collect the morning paper. I used to drive or cycle up but she took on that role when I had a bad hip. Obviously with walking she meets lots of people so comes comes back with loads of news. Sometimes she's gone for a whole hour!

4 hours ago, Beekay said:

Just had a look on YouTube for the 'singing ringing tree' and still not sure what it's all about.

@Beekay The Singing Ringing Tree was a German film made around 1957 and was a variation on Beauty and the Beast.  In the early 1960s the Beeb showed it as part of the 'Tales from Europe' series, splitting it into three parts.  It was, as you discovered, broadcast with voiceover when the original soundtrack was faded down.

There was a scary magical dwarf and a giant fish.

I don't think anyone who watched it (or one of several repeats) will ever forget it.

How about The Magic Roundabout?  When I was working as an spark's apprentice on a building site around 1974/5 the brickie's labourer nicknamed me Florence because I wore Doc Marten boots.

• Like 1

The Magic Roundabout was excellent. Like all good childrens' programmes it was clever because it worked on two levels. 

It had the simplistic side for youngsters, but also operated on another level for older people who understood the hidden references.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Was it Bill or was it Ben that bonked Little Weed just then

Which of those two Flowerpot Men or perhaps it was Randy Pandy

It was Ben!  It was Ben!  Randy was busy with Luby Lou.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

It had the simplistic side for youngsters, but also operated on another level for older people who understood the hidden references.

I never watched it but I've heard the same said of Captain Pugwash!