Old television programmes

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We do live in a very ‘horsey’ area. Mostly they’re just ridden round the lanes and bridle paths. One neighbour, a former member of the ‘caring profession’, a nurse, used to be the secretary of the Sou

Thank me later     

Magic Roundabout was voiced by Eric Thompson and after his death by Nigel Planer of The Young Ones fame. What I remember most was Zebedee always trying to bonk Florence as every show ended with Z

Hi Ian yes I remember whirlygig but sorry only the name rings a bell. 

Can anyone remember Shirley Abbycare she sang childrens songs  on of them was about a little fishy who swam and swam right out of the dam. 

Also Jonny Morris "Hot Chestnut Man" he would tell some loverly childrens stores.

Just a question I think it was on Camblewick Green?

Windy Miller who used to come out of a windmall Please tell me how did the windmill sails never catch him. 

Phil, I can just about remember Whirligig with Humphrey Lestoq. IIRC his catch phrase was goody goody gumdrops. He used to appear with a puppet called Mr Turnip.

I think Annette Mills and Muffin were a separate programme.

I saw an old clip of Humphrey Lestocq a few years back and he appeared very inebriated. Thoroughly at odds with the BBC standards of the 1950s.

12 minutes ago, mary1947 said:

Hi Ian yes I remember whirlygig but sorry only the name rings a bell. 

Can anyone remember Shirley Abbycare she sang childrens songs  on of them was about a little fishy who swam and swam right out of the dam. 

Also Jonny Morris "Hot Chestnut Man" he would tell some loverly childrens stores.

Just a question I think it was on Camblewick Green?

Windy Miller who used to come out of a windmall Please tell me how did the windmill sails never catch him. 

I loved Johnny Morris as The Hot Chestnut Man.

Shirley Abicair was a pretty Australian girl who sang as she played a zither. She also told stories about a boy called Tumburumba.

http://www.turnipnet.com/whirligig/tv/children/sabicair/sabicair.htm

• Like 1

This is one of the most enjoyable books I've ever bought.

https://www.123pricecheck.com/p/books/the-golden-age-of-childrens-television/1852864079.html

There are some very cheap copies on Amazon.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

Little boy fishing off a wooden pier

Come fish, bite fish, swim along here.

Shirley Abacair's song.

Didn't Annette Mills sit at a piano, with Muffin the Mule atop it?  i seem to think Annette was the sister of another famous Mills man.

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

Magic Roundabout was voiced by Eric Thompson and after his death by Nigel Planer of The Young Ones fame.

What I remember most was Zebedee always trying to bonk Florence as every show ended with Zebedee saying "It's time for bed"

In The Night Garden Oopsie Daisy is a bit of a trollope too as she takes her bed everywhere with her.

Which of the two Flowerpot Men bonked Little Weed. Was it Bill or was it Ben, I don't know but I think the little house knew something about it; don't you?

Then we had Andy Pandy having a threesome with Looby Loo and a bear in a picnic basket!

No wonder we all grew up twisted.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

And I reckon old Parker was allus trying to get into the back seat with Lady Penelope, all while the Tracy family were doing their rescue bits.

• Like 2

I guess we'll never know what went on behind the scenes Barrie but I think there's something in what you say, Parker being her bit of rough if you know what I mean

Rog

Rog, I met my wife 60 years ago , when she got on my bus (32) on Maid Marion way. As I was only a scruffy conductor at that time, I think I must have been her 'bit of rough'.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Beekay said:

Rog, I met my wife 60 years ago , when she got on my bus (32) on Maid Marion way. As I was only a scruffy conductor at that time, I think I must have been her 'bit of rough'.

Have you asked her ? you progressed to become a driver though, the only thing I've progressed to become is old

Rog

• Like 1
1 hour ago, plantfit said:

Have you asked her ? you progressed to become a driver though, the only thing I've progressed to become is old

Rog

Never thought of asking 'er indoors Rog, even today she probably still regards me as 'rough and uncouth'. Mind you, we've been married 58 years and she's stuck by me, so I must be doing something right.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, David sheridan said:

Talking of old TV programs I used to like Man in a suitcase ,

Can't recall ever seeing that but around that era there were so many detective series, for some reason I always liked Maigret, was it the car or that great theme music.

I hope no one mentions Doxon of Dick Green 

I did like Z Cars and the Softly Softly spin offs

Police Programs         999 / The Sweeney  / Highway patrol / 2 chaps on motor bikes (one chap was called Chips)  Starsky & Hutch  last 3 came from America but the best cop tv series must have been Hill Street Blues.