Old television programmes

Never did like the American Cop shows. All shoot 'em up and very little plot depth. The Sweeney extracted some comedy from some dark plot lines and was one of my favourite shows.

Did not mind No Hiding Place and Gideons Way

Many of them had great theme tunes, the original Van der Valk comes to mind. Any others?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We do live in a very ‘horsey’ area. Mostly they’re just ridden round the lanes and bridle paths. One neighbour, a former member of the ‘caring profession’, a nurse, used to be the secretary of the Sou

Thank me later     

Magic Roundabout was voiced by Eric Thompson and after his death by Nigel Planer of The Young Ones fame. What I remember most was Zebedee always trying to bonk Florence as every show ended with Z

10 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Can't recall ever seeing that but around that era there were so many detective series, for some reason I always liked Maigret, was it the car or that great theme music.

The Rupert Davies version of Maigret is always on Talking Pictures TV (which I realise may not be visible in Oz). I've watched a few because I never saw it first time round. It's stood the test of time pretty well.

It's also possible to see two more recent versions of Maigret. There's one with Michael Gambon from the early 90s which isn't too bad. But for me the pick of the Maigrets is Rowan Atkinson......yes, that one. 

If you haven't come across it, watch for them. Once you've got over the expectation of him pulling funny faces and making silly noises - which he doesn't - he's perfect. It's played dead straight, and the atmosphere and sets on screen are as good as anything I've seen anywhere. They only did two series, but they're hidden gems.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
9 hours ago, mary1947 said:

motor bikes (one chap was called Chips) 

Mary, the programme you refer to was called C.H.I.P.S.

It stood for, California Highway Interstate Police.

Your servant Ma'am.

• Like 1

@katyjay did you see Rowan Atkinson in the Film Love actually ?  I saw it on you tube , the clip is call do you want it gift wrapped ,  well worth a look , how many of us men have been in that customers predicament? 

• 6 months later...

Not so much about old television programmes but about old TV sets.

I remember our first "large" screen colour TV a 40" Akai CRT TV that almost took two people to lift it and the amount of real estate needed behind the screen was immense. Yesterday I bought a new 32" LED TV for the bedroom to watch the Rugby and 20/20 cricket world cups when I wake up at 4 am which I am doing more frequently these days. The whole thing, box, tv, accessories and packaging weighed around 9lbs. The TV itself weighed in at 7lbs. and only about 2" wide.  It is an amazing piece of kit and you can even work it by talking to it..... We have certainly come a long way.

• Like 1

Evening Oz  morning here and a very fine hot day its going to be,

Well tv sets you must have had a very modern TV  

First TV    i remember was at my grans, it was in a large wooden box for want of a better word it was about 3ft high and 1 ft wide and the screen was !!!! 9"    90cmx30cm   20cm

Next watching the Queens coronation on a 14in" tv Black n' White of cause.

Then getting into the grove my dad brought a Echo 14" and it had these long glass things in the back which my dad would mess with if you could not get a picture.  

Now we have a TV so big and thin its like sitting at the picture house.

What's a Picture House ????

• Like 1

Yes Mary, when I went into the shop to buy my tiny TV there were sets with screens bigger than our picture windows at home. Bloody freezing here actual temperature 11 deg with the wind chill taking it down to -1 deg. Send some warmth ASAP

• 4 months later...

Back to post_______

Hot Chestnut Man Johnny Morris

Shirley Abbeycare (not sure of spelling)  did she sing 3 little fishers? 

3 little fishers who swam and swam to the end of the dam?

Well I went back to my childhood days watching Dr Who !!!at Christmas    I am yet hooked again on this program

Problem!!!! I can remember seeing the first Dr Who William Hartnell        co'or don't it make you feel old    having said that I am looking forward to  watching the new Dr,

25 minutes ago, mary1947 said:

I remember Shirley Abicair, did you know Little Boy Fishing off a Wooden Pier was an Australian folk song and that Shirley was an Australian too. If I recall correctly she played a Zither. She is still alive aged 93

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, mary1947 said:

Hot Chestnut Man Johnny Morris

Didn't he do the voices in Tales of the Riverbank and Rev. W. Awdrey's The Railway Stories too?

As an aside I love roast chestnuts but unfortunately they are only available for a short time in late autumn and very few fruit and veggie shops stock them. You can get fresh roasted ones at some places in the Adelaide Hills

• Like 1
4 hours ago, mary1947 said:

3 little fishers who swam and swam to the end of the dam?

This is the Shirley Abicair song. 

But the song about "...swam and they swam right over the dam...."  is another song, which was recorded by many different people.   

• Like 3

Has any one  (old tv programs)  mentioned Muffin the mule / Stooty and sweep.  Emergency Ward 10   radio Sat  Uncle Mac and there's more Watch this space.

Who remembers A for Andromeda in the early 60s. I only remember it because Julie Christie (phwoar) was in it. Can't remember the name of the sequel.

Another sci-fi program Quatermass, circa 1950, Quatermass II, Quatermass and the Pit and The Quatermass Experiment.

Robin Hood with Richard Greene and Patricia Driscoll as Maid Marian. The theme tune was used by Forest as the team ran out onto the pitch for many years.

The Clangers with of course the Soup Dragon and blue string pudding.

8 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Has any one  (old tv programs)  mentioned Muffin the mule / Stooty and sweep.  Emergency Ward 10   radio Sat  Uncle Mac and there's more Watch this space.

Mary,

I was born in 1950 and used to enjoy listening to Derek McCulloch aka Uncle Mac presenting Children’s Choice on Saturday morning radio on the Light programme. The theme music was called Puffing Billy. My mum used to say Derek had lost both his legs but I later learned he'd lost one leg when he fought on The Somme in WW1.

I have an excellent double cd set which has many of the songs he played on the programme such as The Laughing Policeman and Nellie the Elephant.

His friendly uncle persona was tarnished  a few years ago when he was cited in the BBC child abuse investigation where it was alleged he had used his position at the BBC to abuse children.

We had a TV around 1954 and I adored Muffin and Sooty. I remember my mum crying when in 1955 she told me Annette Mills had died and Muffin would no longer be on the TV.

Harry Corbett and Sooty were brilliant and I particularly liked Sweep when he came along in 1957. Harry's son Mathew took over Sooty when Harry died but whilst my kid's loved it, Harry was irreplaceable IMHO.

Finally I should say as a 10 year old I was madly in love with Jill Browne who played Nurse Carole Young in Emergency Ward 10. I even had a picture of her on my bedroom wall lol.

For children's TV in the 50s to 70s this book is a must read and not expensive.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Golden-Age-Childrens-Television/dp/1852864079/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1L3M8OKQ38BBA&keywords=Golden+children's+television&qid=1706519525&sprefix=golden+children's+television%2Caps%2C80&sr=8-1

• Like 1

I'm a bit too young to remember Muffin but my older sister loved it.  Generally, I preferred the children's radio programmes to tv fare but I did like Picture Book as there were always demonstrations of how to make things and the dachshund puppet appealed to me.

As for The Flower Pot Men, etc, I found it very silly and childish.

Radio remains my preferred medium and I dispensed with the tv years ago.

40 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

As for The Flower Pot Men, etc, I found it very silly and childish.

Me too. Even when I was very young I thought that Bill & Ben were stupid and childish - especially with their flobolob language.

Strangely I thought that Andy Pandy was ok, because it was more realistic.

Me and BILL  WERE just wondering Kev and Jill Why you dont like us?  We like you Almost as much as 'Little Weed''  ......5c28d10cf1e3c34c449dee86

Weeeeeeeed!  Just didn't appeal, Ben.  I think I was about 45 when I was born. Always preferred to be with adults rather than children which is probably the reason why I didn't like school. It was full of children! Most annoying.

''The Cisco Kid'' was my favourite back in the mid-50s......didnt have a Telly untill i was about 12........and Cisco along with his mate 'Pancho''.were very   ...good Mexican Cowboys........and Cisco was a bit of a ladies man....the-cisco-kid.jpg

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

......didnt have a Telly untill i was about 12........

We didn't have a television until I was around 10 or 11. Prior to that, everything I saw was in the homes of friends or relatives, so I was limited in what I saw.

My earliest memories are at my grandma's house and three specific programmes;

Billy Bunter, with Gerald Campion

Lunchbox, with Noele Gordon (later in Crossroads)

and Horse Racing on a weekday afternoon, which I found incredibly boring then and still think it's boring now.