Mickety says hello

Hi Guys, been reading this great site for a while but had problems registering with the old hosting folk, I love this site especially the 'pubs closing down' threads, such a shame, how on earth will we be able to give someone directions without throwing in the landmarks!!

I am Nottingham born bred and fed, lived on Ronald Street next door to the General Havelock until I was five in the 50s, then moved to the new Bilborough estate, it all went down hill after that, looking forward to contributing my memories...

mickety.

Welcome...we'd appreciate your postings. Bilborough Estate something of omission in the Forum. We have several Aspley/Cinderhill folk who, I'm sure, would be more than interested.

Cheers

Robt P.

Hi Guys, been reading this great site for a while but had problems registering with the old hosting folk, I love this site especially the 'pubs closing down' threads, such a shame, how on earth will we be able to give someone directions without throwing in the landmarks!!

I am Nottingham born bred and fed, lived on Ronald Street next door to the General Havelock until I was five in the 50s, then moved to the new Bilborough estate, it all went down hill after that, looking forward to contributing my memories...

mickety.

Glad you're here. Look forward to your postings.

Dave

Welcome...we'd appreciate your postings. Bilborough Estate something of omission in the Forum. We have several Aspley/Cinderhill folk who, I'm sure, would be more than interested.

Cheers

Robt P.

I too lived on the Bilborough estate, my parents moved there from St annes in the early 50s until they uprooted once again in the early 60s to live just off Trowel road opposite the Wollaton arms better know as the Balloon.

I went to William Sharpe skool between the years 1959 to 1963 and enjoy nothing apart from woodwork and gymnastics, the latter I won several skool medals at.

sorry got carried away a bit.....welcome Mickety....

Bip.

Thanks lads.

bip, do you mean the firbeck estate? can you remember the hardware shop on the corner? think its a private dwelling now, you could get anything from that alladin cave, also the launderette further up the hill (now hairdressers) was once told it was owned by Henry Newton ex Forest lad in the 60s, I would often see him in the Gondola with his brother on Saturday nights.

There were quite a few shops that served the area around plantation road sadly like everywhere else all the good shops have gone.

hi all

nottingham born and bred aswell , in chaple square in radford in 1956 then moved to 228 alfreton road untill i got married in the 80s then moved to rise park .

loved radford and hyson green , them days you could leave ya front door open all day and go out ,

now whats it like ???

Thanks lads.

bip, do you mean the firbeck estate? can you remember the hardware shop on the corner? think its a private dwelling now, you could get anything from that alladin cave, also the launderette further up the hill (now hairdressers) was once told it was owned by Henry Newton ex Forest lad in the 60s, I would often see him in the Gondola with his brother on Saturday nights.

There were quite a few shops that served the area around plantation road sadly like everywhere else all the good shops have gone.

I moved with my mum and dad from the Bilborough estate to the Firbeck estate in 1963 I was just fifteen at the time.

I do remember the hardware shop and the launderette up the road aswell as the Post office on the corner of Birchwood road which is now a up market hairdressers.

When the Post Office close the powers that be moved the post box over to the other side of the road so as when my mum wanted to post a letter she had to cross that busy road, she was at the time in her eighties and not so nimble on her pins. I beleive they have resited the box now, put it back to where it once was.

Henry Newton was a friend of my wifes when she was a little girl, he was playing for Forest I beleive at the time, she lived two or three doors away on Firbeck road just across from the infant skool.

In 1963 I moved with my mum and dad to live on Plantation road, the house on Plantation is now up for sale only because my mum died last year.

Do you remember the corner shop on Plantation and Birchwwod I beleive it was called Merry's.

They sold out to Indians and it was renamed Birchwood stores, now it's been converted to a family dwelling.

The Gondola and those flats were built on the woods I did my courting in, I eventually married my childhood sweetheart, I say childhood sweetheart because she was only twelve when i first met her.

she just lived around the corner from me on Firbeck road more or less fifty yards away.

Many a Sunday while visting the inlaws and outlaws I would go for a drink in the Gondola with my Father inlaw, he was a keen darts player and that's were I learnt the skill of downing as many pints in two hours as one can without spilling any, I would sleep it off for most of the afternoon before having me tea and going up to the Arnold club for the night season.....those were the days before breath tests.

I could go on but I reckon I've said enough for now.........walls have ears you know.

If anyone is interested the house on plantation road is on the Market with Halifax for £119-950 and open to reasonable offers.

Bip.

Yes I remember Merry's, while it was the Birchwood store it was firebombed by a young kid, I think the owners had quite a bit of hassle from the same lad and they moved away.

There was also Copsons newsagents on the hill, I also remember there was a type of travellers settlement near the canal bridge at the back of the flats, they were there for quite a while, I think they eventually moved into the old collery houses where the Torvill & Dean estate is near the former deep cellar.

Forgot about the firebombing thanks for reminding me.

There is still a newsagent at the top of the hill whether its still called Copsons I have no idea will take note next time passing.

I see they are getting those new houses up on the old plot that the Wollaton arms once stood on, nee The Balloon.

Deep Cellar or as it’s known now as the Roebuck, that’s where the Wollaton Canal once was, there was an humped back bridge in my youth, there with steps leading down to the tow path, I did quite a bit of fishing in that canal across from the Wollaton pit and further down towards the Raleigh Cricket club too [Old coach road]

Spent many a happy hour swimming too in the canal jumping from the bridges down along there.

Also spent many a lazy afternoon train spotting from the train bridge which is still there, a little rusty looking now as one passes but nether the less still there.

If you can remember the Canal Bridge then you should remember the Wollaton stables, my wife when a skool girl worked there for free all she asked for was a ride or two, and she loved her horses but never could afford to own one.

Bip.

Its a small world bip lad.

I used to fish that basin near the pit, it was warmer water there with the outlets from the pit, there was some lovely Tench to be had there especially on a summers morning, I also remember further toward the slag heaps there were Crayfish lurking in the clay margins.

Also fished Raleigh & Martins ponds but always preferred Raleigh pond cos it was less exposed.

If you look beyond the new houses at the paddocks my Daughters house is the last one nearest the railway line on Fairburn Close.

I worked at Raleigh in the late 70's and was a member of the fishing club (Load of baloney, old boys net work and all that) I fished Coach Road once and it was the most boring days fishing I have ever had (Didn't even get a bite)

I take it you mean the pond? the canal would of just about dried up along its length by the late 70s just before the housing development, Raleigh pond was always hard to fish and only had its best returns in the first few months of a new season.

Can you recall if Ted Griffith was the bailiff then? he always had the peg at the bottom of the steps, not a man to mess with although he was teased a lot by the local kids for other reasons...

Can't rember his name for the simple reason I only went the once!

And yes it was the pond , I can't remember when I went ,but it must have been winter cos there were no leaves on the trees and I just remember freezing my proverbials off

• 4 months later...

I know that this is an old thread, but I stumbled apon this forum completely by accident.

I haven't lived in Notty for 30 odd years but still have links.

For some reason I was looking up Henry Newton on the Internet yesterday and found this site, I've subsequently registered as it looked so fascinating.

There are so many threads and different items that it's difficult to know where to start, what caught my eye was this thread, I'm sure that I must know Mickety and Bip, after all, I lived on Park Crescent for 25 years and my mother still lives there!

Yes, I used to buy flag cards from Merry's, ( remember the smell of his vinegar barrells ), go trainspotting on the footbridge at Trowell and on the ramp at Victoria Station, knew the Gypsy folk that went to live in the miners cottages by the canal and believe it or not, looking down the garden of my Essex house, the Bill Posters sign from Trowell Road canal bridge is bolted to my shed wall.

I could go on but I just wondered what the response would be.

Incidentally, Henry Newton was the captain of Firbeck football team, when they won the Primary school trophy, they stopped the bus outside our house and showed it off. When 'young' Henry was a Forest apprentice, we used to give him a lift into town on the Bartons bus when we went for swimming lessons at Radford Baths.

Happy Days.

Incidentally Bip, my mother was a cleaner at William Sharp for many years, she became a bit of a celeb when she retired, many years ago now.

Hello Firbeck and thanks for the prompt on your post.

Henry Newton lived I beleive next or very near where my late wife was born at 1 Firbeck road across from the infants skool.

I when my perents moved lived five doors away from her across the road from Merry's on the opposite corner.

Bip.

Or even Middleton's @ Wollaton

1862260600_fe0b7f05e6_b.jpg

Marvellous what a few pieces of planking and over sized parasols can do to a once run down boozer.

Bip.