Mystery Alehouse?

I recently carried out a survey on a large three storey corner property that had been turned into about eight student flats, the previous owner had sold it to the guy who asked for the survey, he is to revamp the flats for student use again.

I soon discovered that this place was a former public house, outside urinals and unearthed the former skittle alley below an extension floor, the cellar area still had intact all the pumps and pipe runs for the barrels of nectar.

This building is on Beauvale Road at the crossroad of Holgate Road and I would really like to know what the name of this pub was.

Asked an elderly chap who lived local and he didnt even know it was a old watering hole! tee total no doubt.

Any idea guys...

That sounds like the place.

Google does not find it with sherbrooke + Nottingham (Yet)

A picture would be good?

Anyone?

Thanks Den, been scratching my head with this one for a while.

I normally do take pics Mick but its usually after remedial works, there is very little left of any resemblence to being a public house, it was converted to flats in 2001 and this is a complete refurb again.

This link confirms the former name...

http://plan4.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/WAM/pas...%2F00389%2FPDS4

Yes this was The Sherbrook , used to be one of the very best pint of Bass in the country, then ran by Fred Randall and his wife Mavis, they retired she has since died he lives in Blackpool, before it was altered the large best room had Tory supporters one side and labour the other, several ex Lord Mayors frequented it,especially Roland Green and there was many an argument. when Fred left it just went to pot and finally closed.

• 1 month later...
Thanks Fae

I think the Penny cake shop used to be on the right hand corner just out of view?

There was a bakery on one corner and a baker/butcher type shop on the other corner. Inflation being what is is, in the early 80's your penny cake equated to a 12p iced bun, which we'd save from our dinner money so we could eat on the way home. Never lasted long, I grew up on Glapton Road, and it was usually gone by the time we got to there.

They sold yesterdays cakes for 1d

for 3-4d you could fill yerself up, leaving the rest of yer shilling (1/-) 8d-9d for yerself.

Usually spent on a Walls Strawberry Creamy Bar from the sweet shop near the 43 trolly bus terminus Trent Bridge.

• 11 months later...