• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Enjoyed y'all's replies:  I think we have been able to discuss this without getting nasty political.   I don't think it is political to say I do not think Mr. Trump had a fair shake from the

No real desire to visit America...........except perhaps couple of days in New York and some of the old west........but thinking about it most of us grew up watching American TV series and films......

If Nottingham folks have questions, or relatives, or observations about Nottingham / US connections I don't think the thread has reached its end.  The election is over.  Mr Trump won.  The media of bo

Lesser of the two evils maybe !

• Upvote 1

Politics is a no go here so I will not wax eloquent about the situation except to say this.  I have lived here for some 14 years.  I think I am a bit qualified to have an idea of how things are.   I have watched the media portrayals of both candidates for the last year or so through the m.s. Media.  Their portrayals were disgusting to put it mildly. Totally biased and only focusing on any bad stuff they could dig up.  I can't speak for the British media as I don't live there, but they were not noted for being unbiased when I did.

For better or worse Mr. Trump is now president elect of the USA.  I would not refer to him as a turnip.  Further, I respect the decision of the American people.  Change was needed, nuff said.

• Upvote 6

A lot seem to forget that he was elected by the people. Not here, their political party elects them, not Joe & Jane Public.

And before the feet stampers comment, this is not a political post ! I have no idea or interest in foreign poltics.

• Upvote 2

I have noticed that since the president-elect passed the winning post this morning, images of him, at least on the BBC website, have changed. For the first time, they portray him with his mouth closed and looking like a normal human being. Prior to this, he was portrayed as a ranting, fist-clenching, yob, whose epiglottis was on show for all to see. The same applied to Clinton. 

Do they think we're too dim to notice the cr*p we're being fed?

As to the evidence, which will no doubt be required...look for yourself!

• Upvote 5

No real desire to visit America...........except perhaps couple of days in New York and some of the old west........but thinking about it most of us grew up watching American TV series and films........and consequently we associate ourselves with them to some degree,........TV series such as Lassie,Wagon Train,I love Lucy,Rawhide,Sugarfoot,Maverick,Gunsmoke, and coming more up to date Dallas and Cheers,.    Then great film stars too many to mention,plus the music and great performers........how can we not have a love for a country that represented a new start and freedom for people from all round the world,............the ones ive met (not that many) all seem to like us,...so I say God Bless America'.............feel better now.........................lol.

• Upvote 7

I hope that he does Michael, it'd certainly shut up Hilary and her gaggle of hot air experts. 

• Upvote 3

Enjoyed y'all's replies:  I think we have been able to discuss this without getting nasty political.

I don't think it is political to say I do not think Mr. Trump had a fair shake from the media.  I think he has a lot to learn.  He is not really a politician,  but he is saying many of the things the average guy wants to hear, about his health care, the stability of his job, etc.  He has not always said it well, but I think he is already becoming more presidential in his manner of speech.  

They laughed at Ronnie Reagan.  Called him a dumb movie star, Bedtime with Bonzo etc.  He was not perfect, but he turned out a to be one of the better presidents of the last few years.  With good advisors and a teachable spirit I think Mr. Trump might be the same.  At least lets give him the chance.

Quite frankly Clinton scared me.  All her talk about no fly zones over Syria.  Taking on Iran etc.  Russia is to blame for everything.  That's fighting talk.

Russia and its leadership are not perfect but neither is anywhere else.  Starting WW 3  is not going to solve anything.  Trump has already said he will try to work together with other countries.  Nothing wrong with that.  The Clinton record leaves a lot to be desired to put it mildly.  When she called Trump supporters "a basket of deplorable's."  She did much to ruin her chances.  I kept hearing it thrown back at her time and time again.  She alienated a large chunk of the American electorate.  Folks have long memories.

Mr. Trump has an uphill battle.  I would not want that job even if I could have it. He will need our support.

It was delightful this evening to watch the media eat Crow.  Best comedy I've watched in a while.  They simply cannot understand why their darling lost.  Every night they told us that Trump was losing in all the polls.  Clinton would be the next president.  The implication being.  Don't bother to vote for Trump you are wasting your vote.  I think they actually believed their own lies.

Each night we were treated to twenty minutes of Clinton holding forth.  Two to five minutes of Trump with all the nastiness and innuendo they could throw at him.  Couldn't have been more obvious if they had changed the title from Evening News, to lets get Trump.  The media is the crowd who have earned my greatest scorn.  It will take longer than I probably have left to win back my trust of them. I despise them!

Alistair Cooke used to have a program called letter from America.  Well this is the letter from America from Loppylugs.  Hope you'll accept it in the spirit it is intended.  Not to be political but to warn about believing everything the idiot box spews onto your rug each night.

• Upvote 10

One of the problems we have in the western world is the media. They are drawn from the same types of people, have the same beliefs, do not speak to ordinary folk, and are flabergasted when they are opposed/rejected. I don't remember reading anything positive about Trump all year. Surely there must be some positives?

• Upvote 3

No one is all bad! Conversely, no one is a saint! What worries me is the trend which seems to be emerging in which some people refuse to accept the result of a democratic vote. They want another referendum because they don't like the outcome of the first one, or parade around with placards stating "he's not MY president!'

Why don't we save ourselves the exorbitant costs of such elections and toss a coin 3 times? It's quick, fair and we needn't suffer the interminable media drivel associated with it.

Democracy or kakistocracy, it's done and we're stuck with it. Let's get on with our lives.

• Upvote 5

That's fine by me Jill !

But there are those who kick & stamp their feet & argue until they get "their" way !

Anything less than "their" way is not acceptable !

We've had a fair & democratic vote, so let's leave it hat that !

• Upvote 4

Last thing last night, Mrs Loppy drew my attention to the marches, whining about the new president elect on tv.  The media were giving them lots of play.  (Whats new).   From what I could see at a distance they were mostly made up of twenty somethings.

Please don't misunderstand me.  There are many fine young folks in this age group.  Unfortunately there are also many who have grown up with a silver spoon in their mouth.  No one has ever dared to say NO to them and when they don't get their way they throw a fit until they get what they want.

Whoever had won this election this group needs to learn that they need to accept the result and move on.  Promote unity not division.  If we start trying to overturn the democratic will of the people by tantrums and force we will become a banana republic.

Once again I largely blame the media scoundrels for this latest assault on democracy.

• Upvote 4

How right you are, Loppy. Everyone needs to learn early in life that you can't always get your own way, you can't always have what you want and the world does not revolve around you. Unless you do, life is going to be hard going.

• Upvote 3

I wonder if some idiot will pop into the American supreme court and scream 'not fair, illegal' etc and more to the point how far will they get, not far is my bet.

One of the problems as I see it is the media and so called political elite don't think the ordinary working man is capable of making an informed decision. They forget they are nothing more than our paid servants and the last time I looked paid servants were there to do the paymasters bidding.

• Upvote 6

I cringed at the Beebs totally biased assassination job on him this morning. Completely unnecessary, and the poor guy didn't deserve that. They seemed purposely to seek out the great unwashed and every minority on the planet. Undeserved totally !

• Upvote 3

#98. I can't view it Fly but I can imagine.  :(. Just confirms my view of the media.  They pride themselves on "tolerance" but as DavidA says in the previous post.  Their idea of tolerance only extends to their own twisted view of reality.  Seems like the only defence we can have is to stop viewing them until they are just lying to themselves.  Doubt that will happen though.

• Upvote 2