I stand by my comments on Trump. He is changing his mind at every turn. OK, he is going to be the next president, but don't forget that Clinton polled more votes than him. It's the Electoral College system that puts him in. How dangerous is it going to be when the Republicans control the Senate, and House Of Representatives? Answer? It means they can do as they like. How does that represent ALL Americans? Of course change is needed, and challenging the establishment is a worthy cause. So if you voted Republican, and Republicans are in power, how does that figure?  Anyroadup, we, as a country, have our own problems to overcome, caused by? The Brexit vote, we shall see.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Enjoyed y'all's replies:  I think we have been able to discuss this without getting nasty political.   I don't think it is political to say I do not think Mr. Trump had a fair shake from the

No real desire to visit America...........except perhaps couple of days in New York and some of the old west........but thinking about it most of us grew up watching American TV series and films......

If Nottingham folks have questions, or relatives, or observations about Nottingham / US connections I don't think the thread has reached its end.  The election is over.  Mr Trump won.  The media of bo

You can stand by your comments Oldie, that is your right.  I have no dog in this race as I do not even have a vote in this country.  So could vote for neither candidate.  The outcome of all this remains to be seen.  We have had eight years of democrat rule here for many that has been enough.  Trump has been the first individual who has addressed issues that really affect the grass roots and goes against the status quo.

The media has been guilty of extremely biased coverage as I have already noted.  So to avoid getting the thread locked for getting too political that will be my last word on this topic other than general discussion of life here in these United States.  After all if I don't love it I can leave it.  :rolleyes:

• Upvote 3

I'm afraid Oldie, that Trump polled most votes overall. Well that's what the Beeb said on Wednesday morning. 

• Upvote 1

If Nottingham folks have questions, or relatives, or observations about Nottingham / US connections I don't think the thread has reached its end.  The election is over.  Mr Trump won.  The media of both our countries has done its folks a great disservice by constantly vilifying one candidate but that is now over.  It is funny to watch them scrambling to now distance themselves from their rotten behaviour.   Now lets try to return to the original pupose of this thread.

Do you want to move here?  Yes/no. Whats it like here? Etc. etc.

• Upvote 6

It doesn't matter who I favoured for the US presidency.  What worries me is that only about 57% of eligible people voted. It follows since voter numbers were pretty close, that the president was chosen by around 29% of the electorate.  That is not much of an endorsement for 'Leader of the Free World'.

We have similar levels of apathy here.

I would like to see more (unbiased) education about the political system and the rights and responsibilities of voters in schools.  I would not rule out compulsory voting.

Democracy is in danger.

Col

Your point is well taken Col.

Percentages varied all over the place.  I read somewhere (Probably the local paper) that the turnout was very high here in GA.   Something like 80+% of eligible voters.

That said, I would respectfully point you to post #105.

I suspect we may be skating on thin ice here.

4 hours ago, TBI said:

Would there be a referendum on that? LOL

Only if I could win :laugh:

18 hours ago, loppylugs said:

Your point is well taken Col.

Percentages varied all over the place.  I read somewhere (Probably the local paper) that the turnout was very high here in GA.   Something like 80+% of eligible voters.

That said, I would respectfully point you to post #105.

I suspect we may be skating on thin ice here.

Noted Loppy.  Thanks.

12 hours ago, denshaw said:

This is getting too political.

I don't disagree with your sentiment Denshaw, but with respect but I believe that decision is for the moderators to make.

Political comments are made repeatedly on here by certain people, who then try to suppress responses by claiming they are not political.

If it is a comment about national or local government, or a comment about the distribution of resources, or the state of any public service or the operation of any Govt policy, it is political. (Whether or not specifically about Nottingham or for/against any particular party)  It should thus either be deleted, or discussion allowed, at the moderators discretion.

This is the only site I visit ( And I visit a few) , where political discussion (even when polite) causes panic.

But the mods must have control, because self policing clearly doesn't work.

Col

Edit.  My apologies Denshaw, I forgot that you too are a moderator.

Is nothing sacred anymore ? A lot of members on NS have enjoyed the facilities at the Central Library for years, not just a library either.

PLEASE NOTE THIS POST IS NOT POLITICAL, JUST SHOWING FURTHER DECLINE OF A VALUABLE NOTTINGHAM RESCOURCE.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/nottingham-central-library-to-be-sold-and-converted-into-office-space/story-29893550-detail/story.html

• Upvote 1