Nottingham pubs you dislike

The pubs I dislike I do still use on the odd occasion but I avoid if I can - Whats yours ?

Crown hotel, crown island this could be my local only because it’s the nearest my house been in 6 times in the last 12 years, it’s like a morgue , a doctors waiting room , a funeral parlour always someone in there from when I was at school , and I never really wanted to talk to you then ? why now ?

Controversial this one Lincolnshire Poacher hate it always people hanging around the bar

“ f***ing move I want to get served “ I have missed the odd leaving do from work only because the plan is to do Mansfield road and they meet in the poacher I cannot even get motivated , plus there's very few women go in there . I would have to blind fold Mrs Red to get her in there they have never yet had the drink she would like to order , plus she could end up the only women in there .

Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem dirty scruffy pub cobwebs with the chatty cursed ship that wants chucking , tourists on a visit to Nottingham , also have some work mates who we have the odd Sunday afternoon bash around town that meet here 1st I always ask where the 2nd pub will be , ill be in there .

Yates - nuff said.

The Bell Inn - never like it once again too many quaffing around the bar “move out the way “but it does get a monthly visit.

Langtry's - see above

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Took earlier today, pretty close?  

You can't go back even if you wanted to.  When I first returned to Nottingham for a holiday in 1974.  My old sec mod school hand been turned into an infants school. The big railway yard in N

I can imagine. I've seen your mum in that Nottingham At War book. She was a real looker.

Obviously not living there any more I can't comment on current pubs , but in the good old days

I didn't particularly like THE GEORGE HOTEL but I think that was because Mary (Beehive) used to scare the bejaysus out of me. THE PUNCH BOWL on Porchester road because it was full of people who would stick there noses up at you . And (a bit further out I know ) THE WHITE POST for the same reason.

Other than that I could take them or leave them all I think (Just watch someone will jog my memory)

I've got quite different views to Red as three of my regular quaffing holes are The Poacher, The Bell and Langtreys. Some fair points though.

I'll move out of town for my first choice on this thread, The Earl of Chesterfield Arms at Shelford.

I remember this pub from car trips out as a teenager and have dropped in there over the years. In recent times I've often called in there on a walk along the cliffs at Radcliffe on Trent with a friend from there. (It's the only place around there to get a drink.)

The pub seems to be in a state of stagnation. The last time I went there (and many times before it) it looked like a building site inside and out. Front left was a restaurant in the making that nothing ever seemed to happen to. There wasn't even a pub sign outside. The yard to the side is broken up and scruffy. On it sits some of the crappiest , dingiest old plastic furniture you could imagine.

The bars were invariably empty on my visits, obviously people had tired of this scruffy excuse of a pub and had voted with their feet. It's such a pity because the pub has a nice position in a very attractive Notts village. Shame.

More to come!

Thinking about it deeper i actually quite like The Bell Inn , i just wish the bar huggers would move away from the bar and let me get in there .

That and the sometimes pretty poor service in the back bar does grate at times.

I've always liked the place and it will always be synonymous with drinking in Nottingham for me. I do find these days that it's not as well run as when the Jacksons had it. I like the fact that parts of it are quite original but that doesn't mean it has to be scruffy which it often is in my humble opinion these days. The toilets are a disgrace too, (female companions tell me it's the same in the ladies).

Warts and all - I still like it though:

The Bell Inn, Nottingham

Right back to the p(o)int of the thread, pubs you dislike. There's quite a few for me as I progressively go in less and less different pubs every year.

I agree Red with what you say about the Poacher, the bar can get quite busy especially the small bar down the steps to the left as one walks in the place off Mansfield road entrance.

If one is lucky enough to get a back rest one can see the ebbs and flows of the place, maybe you and Mrs Red have been in thair while a flow was taking place, in my experience give it twenty minutes and it starts to ebb once again.

It’s very rarely I go to the bar, my mate comes in very handy for that.

If it’s Alco-pops you’re after for your good lady then you have no chance of them in the Poacher, the landlady refuses to stock them.

It’s a pub for concerning beer and cider drinkers if one wants fancy mouth washes then try the next pub down on the other side of the road they do a cracking pint of John Smiths cream flow crap..

Bip.

I agree Stu the Bells toilets are disgusting never ventured anywhere near the ladies crappers but what does one expect from a city center watering hole.

Surprised no one has fallen down those steep risers to the gents pans have mind you fallen up them on many occasion.

Not wanting to go into great detail but it amazes me how some lads manage to miss the trough, thair aught to be a warning sign at the top of those flight of steps, saying Beware of deep waters no open toed shoes to be worn.

PS, the beers not bad.

Bip.

Can’t say I have a list of pubs I dislike, don’t go in many, I basically stick to those I know I will get a good drink from, what’s the point of visiting others that I know don’t sell what I like, it’s a bit like throwing ones money away as you go through the door. Until every pub in Nottingham sells HP I will stick to the ones that I know do.

Bip.

Another pub I've never eally liked is the Nags Head on Mansfield Road across from the Poacher. It's not so much the pub itself and on the bright side, the garden out the back is really nice not to say a bit of a surprise, it's more due to some of the clientèle in there.

To say it's a hop-skip across the road from the Poacher, the two pubs atmosphere is very different. I used to go in a bit on a Friday night when doing the Mansfield Road crawl and I always felt the mood in there was just a little bit aggressive. Note the Bouncers. It's not even that the customers seem to be predominantly male as the same could be said for the Poacher.

How can two pubs so close together draw such a different crowd? I don't know if it's just me but there never seems to be any crossover in trade.

Just don't like the 'feel' of that pub.

I did have a look across the road as I left the meet up last Sat and thought about having a jar (Wish I had cos the bus I was going for didn't turn up) but it was the bouncer on the door that put me off. I never like to go in pubs that have bouncers it says something about the clientel, even round here, the two pubs that have bouncers don't have my custom

How can two pubs so close together draw such a different crowd? I don't know if it's just me but there never seems to be any crossover in trade.

Just don't like the 'feel' of that pub.

No it's not you Stu it's the ale they sell.

Pubs that sell the processed beers attract the battery fed drinkers mainly the younger person and there bitches and pubs like the Poacher who sell real ale attract the more concerning drinker and his good wife.

Bip.

The times I worked the door at the QE we had people waiting to come in as early as 8.30pm, never any problems (Only at 'The Whitching hour as we called it, when they were struggling to get a late drink before clubbing it, this was 10.00pm to 11.00pm but no where near the problems they have nowadays)

I will say I thoroughly enjoyed the "Poacher" - but I get Red's point. I always like the Bell, one of my favorite watering holes in England! The one that always throws me for a loop is the Salutation! Despite its reputation, they always seem to disappoint me - bad bartenders, lots of beers that they seem perpetually "out of right now" and just a poor atmosphere. I don't bother trying anymore!

The Trip is a bit of an idiosyncracy - I love taking visitors there, it truly is unique, but it is not a place I would typically choose to drink, or eat, at.

I had the misfortune of going to a Witherspoons on Sunday night (it was in the hotel parking lot). Actually, the bar sandwich I had (Chicken and Bacon) was very tasty - beer was crap (all keg), service from some cute french chick who couldn't speak enough English to do anything effectively - I'll pass next time!

I may as well mention my own locality becuase it's extremely poor for pubs these days - quality not quantity. I can easily count around FIFTEEN pubs within a short walk of where I live in Redhill - that's not to mention the numerous clubs in Arnold.

How many of these do I drink in? None!

The two Redhill pubs the Ram and the Wagon are at a bit of a low ebb these days - particularly the Ram which is huge and cavernous with nobody in it during an evening. The Wagon is a bit better but very quiet many nights. It used to be hopelessly smoky before the days of the ban. The Saddle Room is not bad.

Down the road the White Hart, we've discussed on here before. For me the place is absolutely rank. Mediocre, food, beer and a bunch of reprobates that look like they've been there drinking all day every day.

In Arnold it's even worse. The Robin Hood and The Nelson on Front street are absolutely dire. Rough pubs, the latter doesn't seem to have anybody older than fourteen in there nowadays. How many times have I passed by there on an evening to see a fight spilling out of the front door on the street.

Further along the Horse and Jockey's mock cafe bar furnishing is a complete joke. Usual bunch of no-marks in there at all hours of the day. Across the road the Cross Keys (The 'Famous Old Keys'!) is a den. Whenever I have the misfortune to pass on an evening there is usually a team of bouncers outside. They need them because of the regular visits from Bestwood youths.

The Friar Tuck I used to go in. Not any more. The last time I went in there was a pop quiz and accompanying music blearing out so loud that you couldn't have a conversation at all. In the other bar was the football also on at full blast. The service is very poor (if you can find anybody behind the bar to serve you at all.) This area is mostly like the Marie Celeste.

Finally the one half-decent pub I would go the odd time in Arnold is the Ernehale ironically a Wetherspoons. At least it feels civilised which can't be said about most of the pubs in Arnold. It's also reasonably safe but I did go in there one night to see women chucking chairs at each other...

Other pubs are The Flying Horse which has the worst, most cloying smell of stale frying fat of any pub I've been in. The Druids Tavern too which I've been in twice in 25 years it's that enjoyable. There are others but I'm losing the will to live.

Coming to Arnold for a pint? Don't do it kids.

No wonder I drink in town or the local villages like Woodborough and Lambley.

The Rodney at Wollerton, was ultimate for Posh Gits.

Or as Bryce used to call them.

"Keys and lighter (on the bar) Brigade"

Cheers Mick the Admiral Rodney would have been on my list , but having not been there this millenium , it would be unfair , could also add the Pitcher & Piano on High Pavement , yet everyone i've took in there not from Nottingham thinks it's the dogs and wish they had one in there town !!!

could also add the Pitcher & Piano on High Pavement , yet everyone i've took in there not from Nottingham thinks it's the dogs and wish they had one in there town !!!

Same here, Red, it's the only time I visit the place!

Cheers Mick the Admiral Rodney would have been on my list ,

Not been in the Admiral Rodney since I got my car keyed down one side, the church next door is where I got married 1970 [st Mary's]

Bip.

Not been in the Admiral Rodney since I got my car keyed down one side, the church next door is where I got married 1970 [st Mary's]

Bip.

IMMSC this is near the cricket club? we drank in there a few times after league games when I played for Pork Farms (Early to mid 80s) and as I recall it was keys and lighters even then

If it’s Alco-pops you’re after for your good lady then you have no chance of them in the Poacher, the landlady refuses to stock them.

Bip.

Next time your in Den inform Miss landlady that Malibu does not fall under the umbrella of alcopops , so can she please get some in ?

Why are there two seperate threads discussing exactly the same thing? Crap Pubs, and Nottingham Pubs You Dislike..........

I can categorically say that I had nothing to do with moving or setting up two separate topics discussing the same subject, that’s just covering my back Craig before someone points thair crooked little poisonous finger at me.

How this has come about is anyone’s guess, I could point a finger at the guilty party but I don’t think it’s up to me to pull the lever that opens the trap door, I shall leave that to the guilty parties scruples that’s if they have any….

I can see I shall get a b0ll0king for these thoughts……now where did I put that gun and those little pink tablets.?

Does anyone think I have an inferiority complex?

Bip.

Why are there two seperate threads discussing exactly the same thing? Crap Pubs, and Nottingham Pubs You Dislike..........

Cause they ain't the same - see my post in t'other thread!