Nottingham pubs you dislike

Do they still sell 'Stones' bitter over there, cos I know someone that aint too keen on it don't I Mick?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Took earlier today, pretty close?  

You can't go back even if you wanted to.  When I first returned to Nottingham for a holiday in 1974.  My old sec mod school hand been turned into an infants school. The big railway yard in N

I can imagine. I've seen your mum in that Nottingham At War book. She was a real looker.

Do they still sell 'Stones' bitter over there, cos I know someone that aint too keen on it don't I Mick?

Drifting from the thread a tab, I couldn’t help not commenting on Stones bitter and it’s fond memories it has for me.

If you don’t have the memory of a stonefish then stop reading now cause I tend to go on a bit about basically nothing.

Stones bitter is one of those drinks that one has to build up an immune tolerance for; it seriously damages your taste faculties.

I first come across it while down in Ingoldmels, I think it was in the Blue Anchor where I first saw in on the bar and being a bitter man I thought umm that’s new I’ll try some of that, I would only be in my early twenties.

For the next twenty years I would happy travel backwards and forwards most weekends to the coast to spend a long weekend in me dads caravan.

It would be very rarely that I had a drink during the day so at night we would take both children out in thair buggies to the amusements which at that time consisted of a few hook a duck stalls and one or two roundabouts nothing like it is now what with Fantasy island.

After we had made the kids dizzy enough by letting them have as many goes on the roundabouts as they wanted and basically thair spending money for the day had gone, it was then time for the wife and myself to have a drink. I would have three to four pints of the stuff and the wife would have two halfs of Strongbow cider. After the third pint it would be time to take the kids back to the caravan, on the way back if they both haden’t fallen asleep in thair buggies the chip shop would get a visit.

Stones Bitter is a good mover if you know what I mean, you will never suffer holiday constipation while ever you are drinking it, a little like what Shipstones Bitter was like.

Thanks for listening all.

Bip.

Another pub I've never really liked is the Nags Head on Mansfield Road across from the Poacher.

I've heard it said that the landlord used to be a Special Constable. He was "asked" to leave the force because of an overly aggressive attitude.

He wasn't exactly the most welcoming of hosts when he spent more time at his other place in town.

The Rodney at Wollerton, was ultimate for Posh Gits.

Or as Bryce used to call them.

"Keys and lighter (on the bar) Brigade"

excuse me for going totally off the subject but you said Bryce used to call them? Is that Bryce Clare my old next door neighbour

They sell a tinned bitter called Shipstones in Aldi

A pasteurised and canned bitter contract brewed for Aldi using the name of a former Nottingham brewery that was taken over by Carlsberg-Tetley.

57123.jpg

Remember the old saying?......"If you feel like the bottom is dropping out of your world, have a few pints of Shippo's, and the world will fall out of your bottom! !jumping!

Another was "Whats the similarity between making love in the bottom of a rowing boat and 'Home Ales' "

They are both f******* close to water

Mods ,Feel free to edit if you think it's a bit near the knuckle

Here's another, (and it's a pub I used to go to occasionally a few years back), The Turf Tavern. Every time I walk past there, which is fairly frequent because i have a pint in Langtreys here and there there appears to be some kind of floorshow going off on the door. I'm told it's the owners but it looks like a scene from a travelling circus. If you've similarly been past on a Friday/Saturday night you'll know what I mean.

Expensive, packed and nothing really going for the place as far as I can determine. It's even closed on a Sunday evening.

Coming back from a trip to Derby University the other day I stopped off in Wollaton for a quick pint at The Admiral Rodney.

I'd actually declare that I DO like the pub itself but I have to agree with people here that there are some folk in there that can be a bit annoying. The pub itself though I find really nice inside, very cosy with nice little corners to sit yourself down. It helped that there was a roaring fire to sit beside and read my paper on a very cold, blustery day outside.

Anyway the reason I wanted to make this post was that I spotted Harvest Pale on tap there. I know there are quite a few folk on here that enjoy the stuff. Not that it might make you want to visit The Rodney though.

What what what!!!! Harvest pale spotted in the Admiral Rodney, well that is a waste on those toffee nosed gits.

Bip.

What what what!!!! Harvest pale spotted in the Admiral Rodney, well that is a waste on those toffee nosed gits.

Bip.

Wot the 'eck 're you doin ome at this time on a Satdee?

My mate has two free tickets for the Panthers and I wasn't invited....it's just before eight here and I don't go out until eight forty five when I have to go local.

Bip.

I can't go out fer a drink tonite.

I am driving later, picking up our girl.

She's a cheer leader for the Panthers!

Sounds as if your chained to the sink Mick.......Panthers lost last nite, glad I didn't go after all.

Bip.

I live next door to Bryce.

Tis indeed. I worked with Bryce for many years.

He is a member here.

I also lived on the same road as you 1970-75. Down towards the embankment on the left.

Next Door to Cyril Henstock (The cobbler from the shop on Arkwright Street)

• 10 months later...
yates wine lodge. simply because i remember how it used to be

Seems like someone in Blackpool disliked the one there so much they set fire to it!

I thought it was fine the way it was too, although the gobbing from upstairs did put a dampner on things every now and then!