Nottingham pubs you dislike

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Took earlier today, pretty close?  

You can't go back even if you wanted to.  When I first returned to Nottingham for a holiday in 1974.  My old sec mod school hand been turned into an infants school. The big railway yard in N

I can imagine. I've seen your mum in that Nottingham At War book. She was a real looker.

About opposite Clinton Street(East) in the 1880s was a pub called The Bunkers Hill Tavern.

There was also a row of houses/shops down the middle of Parliament Street between Milton Street & Haughton Street (now Clinton Street East) renamed around the time Victoria station was built.

In my opinion The first prize goes to the Oxford on Highbury Vale. Worst drink ever, bad staff attitude and the natives were unfriendly.

Den.

worked there Den in the 60s,..........would'nt say the natives were unfriendly........but they did have a room called the 'Blood room'.............where after taking a good beating from one of them on the little field opposite (corner of Piccadilly) you were cleaned up,.......Quaint little tradition....lol.

It sure was Ian,.........only went in once and a real nasty fight broke out...............among two Ladies Darts teams,

The Chequers on Hucknall High Street, it's always been dog rough - only ever went in once, yuk !!!!

• 4 years later...

In the 60s and early 70s, we often called at The Admiral Rodney in Wollaton on the way back from visiting dad's parents. My sister and I sat in the car outside with our lemonade and mum and dad went in. I loved going there on summer evenings.

Loved going to the Admiral Rodney. I used to go horse riding twice a week and in the summer we used to ride for 2 hrs and towards the end of the ride we called in there for refreshments. Many happy memories. When the owners of the stables moved from Wollaton to cotgrave we rode the horses from Wollaton to Cotgrave. The first experience in traffic.

4 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Wasn't there an Admiral Rodney Hotel in Southwell too, and I think it was supposed to be haunted?

Can't remember if it used to be a tied house or whose beer it sold.

You’re not confusing it with the Admiral Rodney in Calverton, perchance?

That is allegedly haunted and was recently featured on a “ghost hunting” programme recently. Although when my mate’s dad ran it in the 70s, there was no evidence of supernatural happenings, and the only spirits were the ones in the optics behind the bar.

https://www.higgypop.com/news/help-my-house-is-haunted-calverton/