• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that in my opinion is rubbish...across the road is the Cornerstone pub which in my opinion has taken thair trade, they sell Micro brews as well as Larger and much better pub grub.

Bip.

Went into the Litten Tree, following Den's above recommendation...almost 2 years back..strewth!

An immediate reaction was - 'busy shopping area, milling with people outside, why is this place almost empty'?

As in the above right hand image...

Cheers

Robt P.

The Litten Tre was a Kiddies pub wasnt it?

Thats all I saw coming out of it?

You are right thair Mick.....that would explane the baby bouncers on the doors most FRi/Sat nights.

Bip.

Its in the Long Eaton Advertiser today that the Litten Tree Pub (the Old cinema) is closed and for sale. They are blaming the smoking ban for its demise.

Lets get back to basics with this topic it was named Crap Pubs….Yes?

In my opinion [iMO] you see I can be smart too but only until the drugs take effect, thair are only two types of Pubs, good and the ugly type.

Ugly type are those that have load music playing, allow children in on the pretence of serving meals, have no bottles of Manns Brown Ale and if they had they don’t know when the next delivery will be, chrome swan neck delivery systems, no hand pumps that say ‘Locally Brewed beer, guest beers that have travelled more air miles than me,

No pork scratching only those funny tasting crap parsnip crisps that cost a leg and an arm to buy, maybe that’s why you see five students huddled around one torn open packet? MDF furniture and fittings and last but not least ankle deep carpets everywhere even in the bogs, nearly forgot one, music playing discreetly in the background while one is evacuating ones bladder, and another, chilled bitter.

Now for the good.

At least twelve guest beer hand pulls four of them must be locally sourced, no lagers of any description, Old Rosey cider is a mandatory requisite, bare wood flooring preferably original or flag stones of any colour and shape. Bar stools by the dozen in veering heights, brass foot rail and coat hooks that are hidden away only to be used by those who know where they are, one copy of the evening post well fingered, copious amounts of eatables behind the bar but no Parsnip chips that will keep the fair trade worriers at bay. Over sized pint and half glasses, broken looking glass over the gents urinals with out of order sign on condom tickler machine.

No music to be played but if needs be very quietly, fifty six inch flatscreen LCD hung above open logged fire place that never goes out do to the stack of broken pallets pilfered from the back of Quick save.

Chill cabinets over flowing with J2O and Mann’s Brown Ale, no alco-pops.

Last but not least a bar person who knows, without looking, the price of the warm pint they have just served you with.

Lets hope I haven’t missed ought.

Ooooooops they must sell HP.

Bip.

Drink out very rarely now, so my nominations might be more of an historical document...

1) John Barleycorn, Cinderhill (closed down by the Legion of Mary, I believe...)

2) Royal Children, Nottingham

3) Chesterfield Arms, Bingham

4) Moot House, Bingham

5) Black Diamond, Cotgrave

6) Green Barrel, Oxclose Lane

7) Magna Carta, Lowdham

8) The Gardeners, Awsworth

9) The Golden Ball, Bulwell Common

10) Spread Eagle, Alfreton Road...bring your own sawdust!

Cheers

Robt P.

Just went by The Sherwin Arms in Bramcote, dunno if its re opened yet, but what i did spot was the F awful black and yellow "two for one"sign. So far every pub ive been in with this sadly all too familiar sign was crap.

Just went by The Sherwin Arms in Bramcote, dunno if its re opened yet, but what i did spot was the F awful black and yellow "two for one"sign. So far every pub ive been in with this sadly all too familiar sign was crap.

I see the word crap is being used by more and more members, have I started a trend?

I was in the Nurseryman yesterday A52 ,quite surprised to see how it has changed since the refurbishment it all looked very nice, it’s surprising what veneered MDF can do to a fire damaged building.

They too are offering two meals for £9-50 but off a specials menu within the standard menu. Quite a good selection was to be had, BUT and here comes the rub, the most expensive meal off the special menu was £5-65. as you can see by that price if both of us had the same meal it would have come to £11-30 a grand saving of £1-80.

90pence saving each isn’t in my book a good offer so I doubt it very much if I shall be going thair again for a nose bag time no matter how ungry my companion is.

Small codicil…..only two guests were to be had, Abbots and some other brew from a million miles away…..the rest of the selection came from chrome stand pipes.

Bip.

You forgot the Barmaid with lovely big eyes.

Didn’t mean to leave her out Den but I would prefer to have those big eyes a little further down to her chest area, a 36c cup would be quite sufficient to hold my attention for most of the night regardless of what I was slurping.

Does that mean I’m a shallow person or just easily pleased?

Bip.

Hi BIP, I dont believe The Nurseryman belongs to the group that do the 2 for 1's that The Sherwin now appears to be in.

Their "corporate" logo is a square(ish) sign, with the words Two For One stacked to read top to bottom, and is black and yellow, might be white too, havent studied it that closely as ive tried a couple here and in the West Mids, and know its not as good a deal as they try and persuade us it is.

From what I can detect, they actually raise the price of a standard bit of fayre to make it seem great value. Except when it arrives there is no way anyone would pay what they claim is its normal price without getting one "free?"

Speaking of this practice, theres a certain Italian restaurant in Nottingham that does a supposed 2 for 1 deal, but if you go to their Derby premises, the same food was a lot less, ok, not half of the Nottingham ones price, but still low enoygh to rubbish the "2 for 1" scam

As they say, "Theres no such thing as a free lunch!"

Didn’t mean to leave her out Den but I would prefer to have those big eyes a little further down to her chest area, a 36c cup would be quite sufficient to hold my attention for most of the night regardless of what I was slurping.

Does that mean I’m a shallow person or just easily pleased?

Bip.

Easilly pleased id say.

It would take a 32 double z to hold my interest!! !jumping!

Your belief is spot on Craig the Nurseryman isn’t in the two for one deal chain.

Believe it or not I’m a small eater, my mate is a big eater he will order chips with whatever he is ordering and that includes a Chinese or even an Indian, I have been with him when he’s ordered chips with a kebab, the kebab came with rice, greedy or what?

So when I am faced with only half a dozen chips accompanying my two for one Sizzler meal I have no complains, what doesn’t help though is the presentation of such meal at ones table, over sized platters in my opinion ought to be banned.

I sat at a two person table, when the meal was placed in front of us thair was very little space left for our drinks, we played musical chairs with the condiments and at one stag considered placing our drinks on the neighbouring table. moral of the story, get bigger tables or do away with over sized plates.

A postscript here…..The Wollaton Arms [Nee The Balloon] was before it’s demise and pull down to make way for some housing development had been a Sizzler two for one deal pub, lets hope that tread continues.

Bip.

Was the Sherwin arms a John Barras pub ? whoever he is .

I don’t recall what chain the Sherwin Arms belonged to Red but if I had to guess I would say yes you are right in supposing that.

Maybe a newbie would like to join in with this topic and put us both out of our misery.

Bip.

Crap pubs - the "Half Crown" on Nottingham Road in Long Eaton. When it first opened it was a very nice "Home Ales" pub that was packed, especially on Sunday lunchtime. Now it is a mouldy, decrepid "boozer" with bad beer to match - avoid at all costs!

I don’t recall what chain the Sherwin Arms belonged to Red but if I had to guess I would say yes you are right in supposing that.

Maybe a newbie would like to join in with this topic and put us both out of our misery.

Bip.

The last time I was in the Sherwin bip, it was owned by an organisation called Shipstones!

The last time I was in the Sherwin bip, it was owned by an organisation called Shipstones!

Didn't Willy Young, the old Arsenal and Forest centre half keep that pub for a while?

I keep saying it - but I know of only a couple of 'GOOD' pubs, namely, Vat & Fiddle, and the Victoria (Beeston)

What do you say BIP?

Has any one tried the new pub on Queens Drive yet? (the old Harry Ramsden Fish bar) looks like a plastic pub to me!

I keep saying it - but I know of only a couple of 'GOOD' pubs, namely, Vat & Fiddle, and the Victoria (Beeston)

What do you say BIP?

I whole heartily agree Pem and I shall go as far as add two more, they are the new place up on planes road Mapperley ‘The Bread and Butter a Castle Rock pub and last be not least one nearer to home The Hope Pole in Beeston which has Elsie Mo and Harvest pale as thair default beers.

Oooooops this topic is about naming Crap Pubs....Yes?

well all pubs that don't sell a brew that's local.

Can't comment about the state of the Half Crown Long Eaton cause it's been years since I stepped over thair thresh hold, but I do like the cheap gazebo outside in the car park for the Cancer stick connoisseur.

Bip.