Glaisdale & Hadden Park Pictures

I took these pics during the summer of 2002, the old Glaisdale school closed and re-opened in September 2001 as the Hadden Park High School, the revamp is still ongoing today.

For all the changes made its had little effect on the education, Hadden Park is currently bottom of Nottingham city school league tables and equal fifth bottom in England.

THE OLD STAFF CAR PARK AND FORMER BOYS PLAYGROUND, IN THE BACKGROUND IS THE BOWLS CENTRE ON BEECHDALE ROAD.

builders1.jpg

THE NEW STAFF CAR PARK AND HARVEY HADDEN STADIUM.

builders6.jpg

DECONTAMINATION TO THE UNDERGROUND TUNNEL RUNS.

builders8.jpg

THE ART CORRIDOR.

builders16.jpg

builders12.jpg

builders13.jpg

THE MAIN RECEPTION AREA.

reception2.jpg

reception4.jpg

TO THE DINING HALL.

reception3.jpg

THE OFFICES FACING THE HALL.

offices.jpg

• 6 months later...

Today I received the following...

Hi

Listed under 'Glaisdale' in your forums section, somebody has posted some pictures of Hadden Park High School (formerly Glaisdale school).

Could you please remove these pictures from your site

Thanks

I have replied...

Could you kindly inform us of reason for this request?

Mick

Nottstalgia Admin

A response has been received

"Basically the pictures are not a fair representation of what the school looks like now, and indeed the school will be totally transformed within the next 18 months due to ongoing building work.

Also the comments posted on the forum are an unfair reflection on the current students and staff.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could remove the pictures from your site.

Thanks"

And my response is

I have reviewed the post/pictures and contacted the Original Poster.

They were according to the post taken in 2002 during refurbishment.

They do not purport to represent the school as it is today.

The pictures are Copyright of the original poster.

I see that the post has been viewed 2,957 times since the original posting on March 11th of this year.

Such is the interest in the school.

Nottstalgia is a site dedicated to documenting change in all aspects of Nottingham, and recording Nottingham peoples memories and recollections.

Many of these generate further discussion.

As you are now a member of Nottstalgia, You are aware that under our conditions of membership, each member is responsible for their own postings.

Also as a member you are able to post a response in this area if you so wish, (or even contact the original poster via our PM system).

Regarding comments on performance figures of the school, I can't personally comment as I am not aware, but if these are incorrect, those comment would be removed, as we like our site to be as accurate as possible,

If you have any recent photographs of the school to display on Nottstalgia, these would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Mick

Nottstalgia Admin.

• 10 months later...

BUMPED FOR GEORGYGIRL

Hi there,

About three months ago I found some wonderful pictures on this site of Glaisdale school both inside and outside whilst it was being renovated, but now I cannot seem to find them.

Could you possibly help me out with this and maybe send me a link to where those pictures are, or point me in the right direction.

Thankyou in advance for your time, it is very much appreciated.

Georgygirl.

Note

The complainant in this thread has never provided up to date images or information about the new school?

• 1 year later...

Well, that saw off the 'Truth' Police!

I remember that school when it was known as Glaisdale Secondary Modern. During one summer break I played tennis on the courts with the caretaker's son. Most of the schools around Bilborough were virtually new in those days. What changed so much that they had to be destroyed or radically refitted? According to what I seen on Google Earth images, Bilborough Grammar School has been demolished and close by is now a college accommodated in what might one day be a warehouse or computer retail outlet. Those late '50's building were not the best examples of architecture but the taxpayers whose money was used probably thought that they would last longer than they have.

I remember cycling home from work each night, (maybe the mid 80s) and stopping off at Harvey Haddon stadium to watch the 7 day race for 1/2 an hour, it was a re enactment of some long lost Victorian athletics race, running for the 7 days (including nights) with only short breaks for sleep, food etc, does anyone else remember it? has there been any more races like it since?

Rog

• Like 1
  • 8 years later...

I remember seeing the original Glaisdale being built while I was a pupil at Glenbrook Juniors which was part of the same campus so it was still quite new when I first went there in September 1954. It was a beautiful building, very light, airy and modern, with every modern facility a school could want. It had a good reputation as well and I feel very lucky to have been there in the 1950s.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I sorted at Glaisdale in 1959 , later went to Bilborough Grammar to do the sixth form.

Bilborough had no soul compared to a Glaisdale which had music and drama festivals as well as inter house sports.

Glaisdale was a good school with caring teachers.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I remember the music and drama festivals at Glaisdale which were competitive between the four houses. If I remember rightly, they were held at the end of the summer term every year that I was there and were great fun. Glaisdale was a good school for music and drama in the 1950s.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I was at Glaidale from 1953 to 1958. Derek Marshall my music teacher was an inspiration to me and many others. I remember, Miss Wing, Miss Stock and Mr Viles at whose wedding I sung. Great memories of the singles tennis court at the far end of the science block.

I recall Alan Tipton from his involvement with the Cooperative Arts Theatre in the 60s. He also turned up as an adjudicator at drama festivals from time to time, along with John Shooter and Max Bromley.

If I remember correctly, my sister attended Glaisdale School one day per week from Peveril, for commercial studies. This would be around 1965/6. She was awarded a prize for shorthand. It was a Pitman Shorthand dictionary. Apparently, she was talking when she should have been paying attention and the teacher hit her on the head with it! It was a hardback. She's never been the same since!

5 hours ago, David O said:

I was at Glaidale from 1953 to 1958. Derek Marshall my music teacher was an inspiration to me and many others. I remember, Miss Wing, Miss Stock and Mr Viles at whose wedding I sung. Great memories of the singles tennis court at the far end of the science block.

Miss Wing who married the metalwork teacher Mr Wrathall was my first year form teacher at Glaisdale. 25 years later my daughter started at Greenwood Comprehensive on the other side of Nottingham .... and her first year form teacher was a Mrs Wrathall whose husband taught metalwork at the same school. I felt it just had to be the same couple and sure enough it was! At the first parents' evening we went to Mrs Wrathall and I spent more time reminiscing about Glaisdale than we did talking about my daughter (who wasn't pleased!).