Nottingham detective, Charlie Resnick

'Regional' detectives have been a source of interest in the literary world and through TV series for a long time now. Personally I've come to be a big fan of the Ian Rankin stories about Inspector Rebus. Has anybody here read John Harvey's stories about Nottingham detective Charlie Resnick though? I'd be interested to know what you thought of them if so.

John Harvey/Resnick

Kath and I had a long discussion on Harvey/Resnick last autumn time...

Tried to find the thread, to no avail. I'll have another search later...

Cheers

Robt P.

• Upvote 1
  • 5 years later...

BUMP

I have read all the Resnick novels over the years and found them really good, not only from the point of view of the writing and plotlines, but they also fascinated me as an exile from Nottingham, and found that I could still follow Resnick around the City, and were so well written that I could see how it had changed since I was there!

I enjoyed the TV series which was on some years back now, and it was this that introduced me to Resnick (and his cats) and John Harvey, and in my imaginings I now see Resnick as Tom Wilkinson all through the novels. I have continued reading Harvey even though we have not seen Resnick now for quite a few years.

I also relish the Ian Rankin novels for the same reasons as above; great characterisations and plotlines and knowing Edinburgh fairly well, like to wander around there, even the less salubrious areas where they keep all the poor folk at the back of Arthurs Seat !!

• 9 months later...

For fans of John Harvey's Charlie Resnick, the 12th novel in the series "Darkness, Darkness" is scheduled for release on 22 May 2014 . A bit of a surprise, since Harvey had previously stated that he had completed the Resnick stories and wouldn't be returning . Provisional cover art does state "Resnick's last case."

Read all of 'em so far! So I suspect I will read this one too - when it is released in e-book form, that is!

Wouldn't mind a read of these books, anyone have the ebook files they could maybe email me ? I'll do a search in the meantime anyway.