What claim to fame...

Is it that he is the CEO of California's largest fixed wireless internet? Born in Nottm and educated at Bilborough Grammar, or have I got the wrong Graham Barnes?

It's this fellah...

267263890_small.jpg

Graham Barnes aka Alvin Lee of Ten Years After. Born in Mansfield, rocked the world at Woodstock and at one time were the best-selling band in the USA after The Rolling Stones.

Fine guitarist, fine band.

Correct Stu, anyone remember him when he fronted the Jaybirds who often played in the Cocked Hat on Thursday nights befor forming Ten Years After?

Alvin Lee - The only Notts man to front a band at the original Woodstock Fesival in 69...

I only know of his history in The Jaybirds.

I was a big fan of TYA. Seem to remember they played a gig at The Palais after Woodstock? Long queues along Parliament Street to get in!

I don't think I've ever heard a guitarist play as quickly as Alvin - Hendrix included. Liked his jazz influenced playing too. Just a great musician. Easily the best thing in popular music that came out of Notts.

Mansfield? are you getting confused with Ric Lee who also played in the band?

Graham grew up on Sutton Passeys Cresent and attended Margaret Glen Bott in Wollaton, he lived a few doors from my first girlfriend. he also worked for Weller engineering on Wigman Road for a short while after leaving school.

Well it is alledged that some funny substances change hands in there, maybe they brought some back to start a trend !!!!!

From the Cocked Hat to the original Woodstock Festival...if I had a mind, it would boggle...

Cheers

Robt P.

Thought you might be interested in an old photo of the Jaybirds, with Alvin Lee at the time when they appeared at the Cocked Hat. Incidentally they were the last group to play there as my dad Bill, turned off all the power to their amps as they would not stop playing when "time" was called. The brewery were then unhappy at the loss in sales, so started the Cocked Hat disco era.

Val

photo775.jpg

• 10 months later...
Mansfield? are you getting confused with Ric Lee who also played in the band?

Graham grew up on Sutton Passeys Cresent and attended Margaret Glen Bott in Wollaton, he lived a few doors from my first girlfriend. he also worked for Weller engineering on Wigman Road for a short while after leaving school.

I used to go to Margaret Glen-Bott in the 60's and it was rumoured that Gavin Lee had formed a rock band. I wonder if this is untrue and the connection was made only because the name was similar to Alvin Lee.

Looking on the web and on this forum it is apparent that Alvin Lee was Graham Barnes who went to Glen-Bott.

Have you ever heard of Gavin Lee? I believe he lived near Sutton Passes Crescent.

Im after the album ' Love Unlimited' by 'Alvin Lee' ( as the band 'Love' ).....if any one has a copy....i got the vinyl....want a non scatchy one ( cd ) ta....( if yer dont ask yer dont get )