Nottingham cinemas

Starting with 'La Scala' on Market Street. Did anyone used to go there? I used to get taken by my mum after school every week on a Thursday for the cartoons. Roadrunner, Speedy Gonzalez etc. There used to be a travelogue type feature as a break between the animated cartoons.

Every single there was a huge big fellah who used to sit on his own there surrounded by popcorn guffawing at Goofy and the rest!

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today accompanied by Mrs C we took a nostalgic trip to the old CapitolĀ  cinema on Churchfield Lane. Last visit was in '65 when I took a young lady to see Dr Who & the Daleks. The Capitol as many i

It was the 'Ritz' Margie,.............and i'm gutted you don't remember me.

#211 & 213, katyjay will not remember the very first time she went to the pictures. I took her to the Aspley - she would have been about five. The first thing on screen was the news. When that end

The Gaumont has just been mentioned else where (Went there to see 'You only live twice')

ABC on Angel Row

The Scala was a News Cinema, perhaps even called the News Cimema, in the days before TV took off. I can remember it as a very young child.

I think its been mentioned before here?

The News House cinema was beside the Co-op on Parliament Street I remember going there in the 40s as a kid, I think it was just newsreels and cartoons.

There was also a cinema opposite the victoria station further up the road from the Mechanics don't remember the name.

Moulin Rouge Yes, correct

Dirty Fillums!

When I was 17, I saw the film '17'' there

About a young man, cant for the life of me find it on IMDB.com?

You may even find a picture of Moulin Rouge it if you search here.

I can remember mum taking me there, I think to watch Goldfinger. I do sort of remember it but I'd be really interested to know exactly which business on Mansfield Road it is now (if it indeed still exists).

La Scala was similar in a way as I remember it had a kind of period (was it called 'The Classic' at that point) when it showed blue movies.

I can remember mum taking me there, I think to watch Goldfinger. I do sort of remember it but I'd be really interested to know exactly which business on Mansfield Road it is now (if it indeed still exists).

La Scala was similar in a way as I remember it had a kind of period (was it called 'The Classic' at that point) when it showed blue movies.

It was knocked down Stu, along with the church when they decided to build the multi storey Trinity Square car park.

I used to take Mrs Frank there when we were a courtin'. Went in many a time and paid me dues, bought the sweeties, then after she had eaten them she promptly fell asleep leaving me to watch the film on me own.

Turned out that she wore glasses and couldn't even see the screen, but was too embarresed to let me know in case I dumped her for wearing specs. Obviously, I didn't, and now that she has had corrective eye surgery, she doesn't need specs at all.

Cost me a fair packet though in cinema tickets. :Friends:

But worth it though! :-)

Thanks, Frank. I always wondered about that. I only have a vague notion of Trinity Square before the car park but wasn't the Mechanics Cinema there too? I have this notion of walking up some steps to it's front entrance (I know I was taken there) - opposite where Jessops is now? Wish I could find a pic of it.

The old Mechanics building has only just been pulled down and it was where they are building the modern carbuncal they call the new Trinity Square car park - just opened - yuk.

Same side as the Guidhall but on the corner with Milton Street. Natwest Bank used to be on street level on the corner. Around the other side, just down but opposite the Central Police Station, was the Dolphin Pub - long gone now.

Cheers

I know (knew) the Mechanics building alright, but wasn't there a Mechanics Cinema distinct from that building do you know?

I used to use The Dolphin in my days at Trent Poly. It became 'Byron's' after that.

Yer on the wrong forum here Frank (May be you should have the corrective eye surgery .............LOL)

I have - and look at the results - He He.

Please see corrections :-)

I only have a vague notion of Trinity Square before the car park but wasn't the Mechanics Cinema there too? I have this notion of walking up some steps to it's front entrance (I know I was taken there) - opposite where Jessops is now? Wish I could find a pic of it.

Again Mechanics Cinema has been mentioned here before. Double stone ballistraded steps at the front.

I saw Patrick McGoohan in Dr.Sin alias the Scarecrow, and the Aristacats there.

Again Mechanics Cinema has been mentioned here before. Double stone ballistraded steps at the front.

I saw Patrick McGoohan in Dr.Sin alias the Scarecrow, and the Aristacats there.

I'd be grateful if you could point out to me where, Mick? I've tried the search feature (for the Mechanics and the Moulin Rouge) and drawn a blank for both.

• 3 months later...

Newbie David here.

Just wondering what has happened to all the cinema's. I know that most of them have long disappeared but I thought I would ask which ones are still around.

The ones I used to visit were Elite, Savoy, Gaumont, Windsor. Now my memory is losing it! The one in Market street, the News Theatre just down the road from the Co-op, the one on Milton street opposite Victoria station (because they showed some gauche type French films!), I think there were two nearly next door to each other in the square. One in Aspley and Basford. Oh and the flea pit called the Ikeston Road on guess which road!

Always used to look at the cinema listings in the Nottingham Evenig Post to see what was on. There must have been about 25 cinemas in those days. Last paid a flying visit to the City in 1990 odd or thereabouts.

It is going to take me some time to look through all the forums.

Long, long time ago. Memories eh! The good old days.

I still support Forest too, not like these other people who support whoever is winning even though they live in a different town.

David

Where is home David?

Of your list I think the Savoy may be still up and running (Don't quote me on that)

The ones I used to visit were Elite, Savoy, Gaumont, Windsor. Now my memory is losing it! The one in Market street, the News Theatre just down the road from the Co-op, the one on Milton street opposite Victoria station (because they showed some gauche type French films!), I think there were two nearly next door to each other in the square. One in Aspley and Basford. Oh and the flea pit called the Ikeston Road on guess which road!

The Essoldo at Lenton Abbey was where I first started going "to the flix"

The Savoy was owned and run by the Silvers family, when I visited the flicks in the 60's.

AFAIK its still going, possibly still in the same family?

The Ritz in Carlton (Burton road, now leveled and a nursing home) Saturday kids klub sic The main film always seemed to be Jason and the Argonaughts .We did go to see 'You only live twice' in the 60s as I recall

There was a cinema down station road too but that was before my time

The Ritz in Carlton (Burton road, now leveled and a nursing home) Saturday kids klub sic The main film always seemed to be Jason and the Argonaughts .We did go to see 'You only live twice' in the 60s as I recall

There was a cinema down station road too but that was before my time

Took my late wife on our first date to the Ritz. At the time it was the best of the three cinemas in that area. The movie was called "This Sporting Life" I'll never forget it, I thought it would be a comedy. Most of it seemed to revolve around a bunch of footballers running around naked in the shower. I thought she would think I brought her to see that on purpose and I was some kind of weirdo. Anyway we found other ways to avoid watching it on the back row. :Friends: BTW she still married me eventually.

The other cinemas in the immediate area were the "Regal" on Station road Carlton. Always seemed to have lots of breakdowns to shouts of "Purrapenny in."

The other one was the "Cozy" just near the Midland station in Netherfield. If I remember rightly their screen was about the size of our front window.

Happy daze!!!

Dave

Is this it Loppy?

This Sporting Life (1963)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057578/

Richard Harris ... Frank Machin

Rachel Roberts ... Mrs. Margaret Hammond

Alan Badel ... Gerald Weaver

William Hartnell ... 'Dad' Johnson

Colin Blakely ... Maurice Braithwaite

Vanda Godsell ... Mrs. Anne Weaver

Anne Cunningham ... Judith