Nottingham cinemas

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today accompanied by Mrs C we took a nostalgic trip to the old CapitolĀ  cinema on Churchfield Lane. Last visit was in '65 when I took a young lady to see Dr Who & the Daleks. The Capitol as many i

It was the 'Ritz' Margie,.............and i'm gutted you don't remember me.

#211 & 213, katyjay will not remember the very first time she went to the pictures. I took her to the Aspley - she would have been about five. The first thing on screen was the news. When that end

You would have been ok 'loppy,Rodney,Dave' Margie used to pay :biggrin:

Mind you i don't think she would have paid for all 3 of you'

• Upvote 3

I often had more than one boyfriend on the go at any given time, but they all lived in different towns so they never met! But I NEVER went to the cinema with more than one boyfriend at a time - that would have been wrong!! (makes perfect sense to me) And anyway, it was all very innocent compared to the way the young ones 'carry on' these days!

Never went to horror movies TBI. She'd have had to protect me! Lol.

Although I did see 'the House of Wax' at the Elite. 3D, no less. Stuff coming out of the screen at you. But those glasses are a pain for snogging.

The most scary film I saw when I was young was THE BLOB. Certainly move in for a cuddle and a snog with that one.

I saw The Blob at the Ritz. Probably sat in one of the 'Double Seats' No 3D glasses, thank goodness. slywink

#256 Loppylugs. So you saw House of Wax at the Elite. So did I with my pal Dave Ashton. We kept the 3D glasses (I still have them). Years later the Evening Post interviewed the manager, who said that they only lost four pairs of the glasses all week!

• Upvote 3
  • 1 month later...

In the late 90s there was a VHS tape released featuring old Nottingham cinemas. I don't think it's ever been available on DVD, so here's a few stills from it.

Ā 

Moulin Rouge on Milton Street.

b2S8Dzf.jpg

Ā 

Lenos on Radford Road.

iB9cyNm.jpg

Ā 

Ilkeston Road.

8lRInku.jpg

Ā 

Metropole on Mansfield Road.

O8qYNZz.jpg

Ā 

Futurist at Basford.

ZhGu9j3.jpg

Ā 

Capitol at Radford.

l6QV1Fa.jpg

Ā 

Regal at Netherfield/Carlton

TzP0dYA.jpg

• Upvote 3

I lived behind the Capitol 1958-63 .

My Saturday cinema was 2PM at the Apollo on Berridge Road, Forest Fields.
It was 6d . On more than one ocassion I got away with passing a off silver thruppenny bit.
I used to go with my old mate Robert Tate. We used to rifle through all the celluloid film that had been dumped in the bins.
I often wonder where he is now.

The cinema has met the same fate as the churches in the area. It is an Asian temple, of some sort, now.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

It wasn't the old News House Theatre on Upper Parliament Street, was it?

PTP have a good photo of it...http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM019075&pos=1&action=zoom&id=92841

The Globe was near Trent Bridge, Radford Boy.

Thanks for that. my memory is starting to fail. It's 51 years in December since I left Nottingham. I seem to recall another small cinema that used to show a lot of (naughty?) foreign films.

Never went there as as I was not old enough and I think it closed before I was.

• Upvote 1

The cinema on Market Street was the Scala for many years. It became a news and cartoon cinema in the mid-1960s and was then the Classic, and in later years was noted for the, shall we say, risquƩ films shown there - except in the school holidays when it would show family films.

The history of it's here:

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/37631

It has been discussed quite a bit on here in the past.

I went on a first date with this lad I had fancied for ages to The Classic, misunderstood the type of film showing, it was something like the Karma Sutra Rides Again which I took as Hiroshima and thought it was about the war. Knowing said object of my desire liked war films I suggested we see this one. Imagine my embarrassment when I realised I was the only female in there and the rest really were of the dirty mac brigade...........

• Upvote 4

My Mother took me to see the film The Robe,during the six weeks holiday; a Mac man at first ( during Pearl & Dean) was several rows away- by the time the film had started... he had shuffled his way beside my Mam.What I can only describe as pure Radford,made him bolt for the exit.." Bleddy Touchers!" she said to me.

• 1 year later...

I always remember the Gaumont being huge inside too, bigger than the other pictures in town. Saw some great war films there...Guns of Navarone, 633 Squadron, The Longest Day, Lawrence of Arabia.....Black Tent before my time though..