Nottingham cinemas

Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember the Mechanics cinema retaining the side galleries until the end.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today accompanied by Mrs C we took a nostalgic trip to the old Capitol  cinema on Churchfield Lane. Last visit was in '65 when I took a young lady to see Dr Who & the Daleks. The Capitol as many i

It was the 'Ritz' Margie,.............and i'm gutted you don't remember me.

#211 & 213, katyjay will not remember the very first time she went to the pictures. I took her to the Aspley - she would have been about five. The first thing on screen was the news. When that end

• 3 weeks later...

Yes I remember them being there. Can't remember if people sat there or not though.

to me that photo looks more like the albert hall, i worked for a firm that painted the main room, we were there when there was the big solar eclipse down in cornwall.

Would the right-hand building disappearing off-shot be The Peacock Hotel? Doesn't quite look like it but I imagined Peachey Street to be just to the left of it. How about the building in the centre?

mech-1.jpg

The building in the centre looks like a methodist chapel, I'm sure that one of our old map afficionados will be able to check on this.

I believe that Peachey Street was on the other side of Shakespeare Street with the Peacock on the corner, and Regent Hall on the other corner.

Ah, thanks, Commo. Was confused thinking the road running up to the left was Shakespeare Street when in fact it's Burton Street. Here's a pic below of Peachey Street (on the right) with the old Regent Hall which we've spoken of on here before.

NTGM003580.jpg

Saw Chris Barbers Jazzband at the Mechanics in the 50 "s, and George Melly at the Regent Hall. BobW.

Slightly later and a different genre but from my diary I kept for

1963 , when I was a spotty 14 year old .

Though I always remember vaguely going

to the following concerts I didn't realise how many acts

were on one bill and what value they were compared to

the present.These I am sure were mainly at the Odean Cinema premises

and probably paid for out of money saved from my paper

round.

Thurs 23rd May 1963:

The Beatles

Gerry and the Pacemakers

Roy Orbison

David Macbeth?

Louise Cordet

Ian Crawford?

This tour was significant in that the Beatles were

supposed to support Roy Orbison but had just gone to No1

with "From me to you" and so were made the main closing

act.This made Roy O a bit peeved and they solved it

by breaking the show into 2 halves with Roy O closing

the first half.

Roy Orbison was great and I still love his

songs.

Thurs 19th Sept 1963:

Roy Orbison

Freddy and the Dreamers

Bryan Poole and the Tremeloes

Searchers

Sons of Piltdown Men?

24th October1963:

Everly Brothers

Little Richard

Bo Diddley

Rolling Stones

Mickie Most

Rattles?

I noted that the Everlys and Little Richard were

"fabulous" but I was particularly impressed by

Bo Diddley and bought lots of his records.

In my diary I noted that the Rolling Stones

were "rather poor" and that they sang "Come on","Some

other Guy" and "Wanna be your Man"

Out of interest I noted on Saturday 9th Feb 1963 which

was just prior to the Beatles having their first No 1

with Please Please Me that we had to fight our way in

through hundreds of other teenagers to see Cliff Richard

in the film "Summer Holiday" at the ABC, it was a complete bun fight.

You probably would have the same

crush now .....trying to get out!

• Upvote 1

last time i was in albert hall was for city council play workers confrence with employed and voluntary play workers from all over the county before that was for methodist festival of queens the queens sat up on the seats right at the front attendants sat in the middle seats at the front and everyone else was behind that just remember how packed it always was think i went every year from about 6 years old till i was twelve never was a queen but twice i was atttendant we had to have white dress and white white socks and shoes . me and white never did mix very well.

• 4 months later...

dab, the Cavendish closed as a cinema in 1968 according to the script on the PTP site....

NTGM003937.jpg

This photograph was reportedly taken in the late 80s - early 90s.

Google is currently showing it as a Cash and Carry Warehouse....still the same as in the above picture.

Cant remember the name of it now but it good for cheap stuff, particularly tools.

Its a shop and not a wharehouse as such.

The Cavendish cinema was the `up market' place on St. Anns Well Rd.,the Empress opposite the old cholera graveyard on Bath St.,was the other. The Empress had kids cinema on Saturday morning. The one thing I remember about the Cavendish was a magnificent display of 303`s, Brens and Stens and various other weapons in about 1946 (in the foyer upstairs) where the vertical white pillars are. My father however was less than impressed having been impressed for the 6 years before and experienced all the awful effects that these weapons produced.

mick2me....It's called IC Discounts...Tel No 924 3500. Tell them that I sent you and you should get a discount!

• 1 year later...

My local cinema was the Curzon on Mansfield Road in Carrington. I think it might have been described as Art Deco in style. I cannot believe that I was allowed to ask an adult to take me in! I was taken in responsibly by my older sisters occasionally except for the first X film that was shown. Rosalind Russell featured as did her cleavage!

• 2 months later...

I can remember the Mechanics at the bottom of Mansfield Road.........It showed all the risque films, 1950/60's, was known as the flea pit..........I went with a fella from my school (he did my Technical Drawing homework which I couldn't do, so I had to date him)......We saw a fllm called "Never on a Sunday" which was X Rated back then......We were 15 (1960) and thought we were the daring young things..........He even bought me poppets............