Nottingham cinemas

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today accompanied by Mrs C we took a nostalgic trip to the old CapitolĀ  cinema on Churchfield Lane. Last visit was in '65 when I took a young lady to see Dr Who & the Daleks. The Capitol as many i

It was the 'Ritz' Margie,.............and i'm gutted you don't remember me.

#211 & 213, katyjay will not remember the very first time she went to the pictures. I took her to the Aspley - she would have been about five. The first thing on screen was the news. When that end

Terence12 - Yes, I got it wrong, I remember now it was the Moulin Rouge..................

remember going to see disneys peter pan at the mechanics, spent me bus fare so went up to central police station corner of shakespear st. they took me home to bilborough in a police car, clip round the ear from dad for bringing coppers to the door.

• Upvote 1

Some good old 'Coppers' back then.......................probably charge you for 'wasting Police time' today lol.

same copper caught me breaking seweage pipes on the then site for harvey hadden stadium wigman road, clip round ear from him he took me home guess what another round the ear from dad, no wonder i got tinnitus

Can anyone help me please? I'm starting to research the cinemas in The Meadows and West Bridgford - The Imperial Picture House, the Globe, the Grove and the Bridgford Tudor.

What I hope you can tell me is about the cinemas - for example, the interior dƩcor, whether there was a balcony or not, whether any of these 4 cinemas were special in any way, perhaps the first and last films shown.

Many thanks in anticipation Paul

• 3 months later...

I used to go to Leno's, Hyson Green. Also the Grand - had huge columns which were a left over from it's time as a music hall. Also on Radford Road was the Boulevard cinema. That was 3 cinema's just on one road.

Paul, we lived across the road from a man who played the organ in the Globe cinema when they had the silent movies.

• Like 1

First one I went to was the ABC and lost my mam and dad on the way out screamed the foyer down in the crowd 'til they fund me. We saw The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Mind you got some funny looks I was 26 at the time :huh:

• Upvote 1

#210. I bet katyjay is thinking 'Hope Chulla doesn't tell them about when I cried at the pictures'. Well, I'm gonna tell ya! It was at the Capitol - 1953. The film was The Greatest Show On Earth. It was playing to packed houses so mam arranged it so that she would take sister to the cinema and queue outside. I would then go there straight from school and join the queue. Mam then went home.

Half way through the film there was a huge train crash - rolling-stock flying everywhere with the animals in them. That did it. She burst out crying and wouldn't stop. I had to take her home.

• Upvote 4

I was lucky, me Mam was an usherette at the Cavendish, so got in free for the Saturday matinees.(sp)

Very happy memories of Mam and Dad taking me to the Vernon opp. Basford crossings,me and Dad would meet Mam outside Pearsons factory Southwark st,then down to the 'Vernon'.

On the way home to Old Bestwood est,we always got fish and chips from 'Marlows' ,then it was a shoulder ride from Dad all the way home to eat us supper...............such wonderful memories.

• Upvote 4

My first visit to the cinema was to see "Reach for the Sky", all about Douglas Bader. A war film. I was about 5 years old at the time. I went with mum, dad and granddad. I think it was at the Odeon in Nottingham. I guess that films did not have an age certificate in the 1950s??? DVDs are OK but I still love the cinema.

• Upvote 1

I have many happy memories of various cinemas in Nottingham. One of the earliest is going to LENOS on Radford Road, to see Lady and the Tramp and riding on my dad's shoulders on the way home.

My parents made sure we went to see all the musicals when the came to Nottingham. When South Pacific came to the ODEON and a special screen was built for the 3D experience, I did not want to go, as the circus was on. Of course, I had to go... and boy, what a 3D experience it was ! Riding on the big dipper and flying on aeroplanes and crashing into a lorry, on a motor bike.. Then I absolutely enjoyed the film. I t remained my favourite for a long time.

Much better than the circus.

'South Pacific' was my mothers favourite film, tony1. I bought her the LP and she was always playing it. I can remember her sitting on the backdoor step in the summer, peeling the spuds with 'South Pacific' playing on the radiogramme.

When I was a young lad, living in Grainger Street, Meadow Lane, my friends sister worked at the Globe cinema which was near Trent Bridge. She used to let us in through a side door and I got more excitement 'sneaking in' than I did watching the film..lol

• Upvote 1

With living less than a minute from the moulin rouge cinema ,i befriended the owners son. I can't exactly remember- could you get rear access to the Dolphin pub via cinema or Trumans motor garage mansfield rd/ shakespeare st??

Welcome to nostalgia Sandra yer in good company, enjoy.

I used to go to the regal on Station road carlton. if it was an A film showing us kids being under age you'd have to ask somebody to take you in and then split up inside. OMG its a good job kids don't have to do that today. The cosy in Netherfield was another cinema we'd go to.

I have many happy memories of various cinemas in Nottingham. One of the earliest is going to LENOS on Radford Road, to see Lady and the Tramp and riding on my dad's shoulders on the way home.

My parents made sure we went to see all the musicals when the came to Nottingham. When South Pacific came to the ODEON and a special screen was built for the 3D experience, I did not want to go, as the circus was on. Of course, I had to go... and boy, what a 3D experience it was ! Riding on the big dipper and flying on aeroplanes and crashing into a lorry, on a motor bike.. Then I absolutely enjoyed the film. I t remained my favourite for a long time.

Much better than the circus.

Thank you Tony for reminding me of the 3D experience that came before South Pacific. It was called Tod AO. I had forgotten all about that until you mentioned it. This film was a brilliant experience. These days if I see 3D or Imax film at the cinema it makes me feel travel sick. Bit of a shame!

The old Regal was a bit run down in my day. Periodically the projector would go dim and fade out. All the wise guys were shouting, "purra penny in" etc. don't know about any double seats, I was too young to know why anybody would want one.

• Upvote 3