Nottingham cinemas

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today accompanied by Mrs C we took a nostalgic trip to the old CapitolĀ  cinema on Churchfield Lane. Last visit was in '65 when I took a young lady to see Dr Who & the Daleks. The Capitol as many i

It was the 'Ritz' Margie,.............and i'm gutted you don't remember me.

#211 & 213, katyjay will not remember the very first time she went to the pictures. I took her to the Aspley - she would have been about five. The first thing on screen was the news. When that end

My first cinema experience was the Majestic at the top of Wells road , Woodborough road, Saturday morning flicks for kids, Buster Crab and many others, then we would hightail it back home pretending to be our favorite goody or baddy !

Can't remember much else apart from acting out our fantasies on the walk or run back along to Mapperley tops.

As we got older the Metropole in Sherwood became the one unless something big was on and we went into town to the Odeon or Gaumont.(spelling) on the bus.

And yes mum dragged me and dad along to see South Pacific, but strangely enough I think we all enjoyed it ! and yes mum then had the LP and played it constantly, and still did till not long before she passed.

Her favorite song was Some Enchanted Evening, we got that one over and over including her warbling in the background.

• Upvote 3

Looking at the title of this topic, I see it's in pre fifties Nottingham.... The double seats I THINK I can remember were in about 1958/59. I only went there once and can't remember the film I saw there, probably for the same reason as Carni! Was there another cinema in that area?

• Upvote 1

#211 & 213, katyjay will not remember the very first time she went to the pictures. I took her to the Aspley - she would have been about five. The first thing on screen was the news. When that ended, for fun I got up and said 'come on, that's it'. Obediently she got up, ready to walk out. Of course we sat down again.

• Upvote 4

The Regal and the Ritz in Carlton were our local cinemas in the 50's.I think the Regal was a bit of a flea pit

the Ritz's being a bit posher. Mam use to send us with our older Brothers who would dump us at the entrance

and try and get in the side door for nothing. Mam would take me and my sister to every new Elvis film that came out

we thought it was our treat, not realising she was a massive Elvis fan and it wouldn't be proper to go on her own.

The last time I went to the Ritz was with my boyfriend to see Bonnie and Clyde.

• Upvote 2

The Portland in Sutton in Ashfield had those double seats, the back two rows in the stalls and was the only cinema I knew that had them, and were there at least up to the late 60`s. They were of course to assist with the sort of behaviour obviously well known to Carni!

• Upvote 4

#229, I don't remember that, Chulla, typical big brother!

#232, I stayed in a Ritz Carlton last year, it dint look owt like that one.

• Upvote 2

Living on Blue Bell Hill Road around 1960 our local cinemas were the Cavendish and the New Empress on St. Anns Well Road. I remember going to the latter with my friend (we can't have been more than eleven) to see 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and it was so good we sat through it twice - I got in trouble then for being late home!

I remember at the Cavendish there would be two separate programmes of films on during the week and a third programme just on Sundays.

Our main 'city centre' cinema was the Mechanics, which I think was cheaper - we couldn't afford to go to the Odeon very often.

In mid-1961 we moved to Sherwood, and the Metropole became our new local cinema. I remember when Carry on Cowboy was playing in 1966 there was a personal appearance by Charles Hawtrey.

• Upvote 1

Perhaps it was the Ritz Carlton that I remember with the double seats, and not the Regal? Not that it matters one way or the other now!

I'm worried now! Which cinema was it I wonder....... can't even remember which boyfriend I went with!

• Upvote 2

Well, unless you're using a false name, it def wasn't you, Benjamin! Never went out with a Ben..... I think it was a Kenny at that particular time.

• Upvote 1

You are a couple of years younger than me and I was sometimes a 'cradle snatcher'...... Actually in this day and age I suppose that isn't a good phrase to use but it was what we used to say

• Upvote 2