Nottingham cinemas

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today accompanied by Mrs C we took a nostalgic trip to the old CapitolĀ  cinema on Churchfield Lane. Last visit was in '65 when I took a young lady to see Dr Who & the Daleks. The Capitol as many i

It was the 'Ritz' Margie,.............and i'm gutted you don't remember me.

#211 & 213, katyjay will not remember the very first time she went to the pictures. I took her to the Aspley - she would have been about five. The first thing on screen was the news. When that end

Anthony Steele film was 1956,could be a taxi y' know.

Is that a Fords truck..just make out D/S.

Great movie house.. Sneaked in to see Carry on Camping..Flight of The Doves or Doomwatch was the last films i recall seeing..could be wrong...has been known tha' knows!

The old Ford Zephyr brings back memories of being nnnn Nineteen,working in Coalville sometimes borrowed one from a mate down there to come home for the weekend............window down,music on full,column change,Expresso Bongo shirt,collar turned up,.........went down a bundle with the girls on Bestwood estate,i can tell you.........and even further afield Basford and Carlton.........lol.

• Upvote 1

You got a bloody good memory young Ian...............Brenda Andrews,,, Shackerstone............oh yes...........lol.

We certainly could mate.............popular name Brenda in my day............there were two on Southglade to start with........in my experience Brenda's have always been big girls........can't imagine a small one........?

Rewired a house for a lady named Brenda a few years ago.Ā  She seemed to be of normal average size.Ā Ā 

Ā 

I remember in one town we lived in there was an electrical contractor named 'Brenda Electric'Ā Ā  Their tag line was.Ā  "Let Brenda check your shorts!"Ā  I always wondered if it brought 'em much business? LOL.

• Upvote 1
  • 7 months later...

Today accompanied by Mrs C we took a nostalgic trip to the old CapitolĀ  cinema on Churchfield Lane. Last visit was in '65 when I took a young lady to see Dr Who & the Daleks. The Capitol as many ill know changed in to a bingo hall & is the Mount Zion Millennium Church.

It was smashing to walk back inside & have a look around.

Every Tuesday & Thursday from 10am - noon for a free coffee morning open to all irrespective of race, religion, colour or creed where everyone will be most welcome to visit.

Ā 

It was amazing to see a lot of the original art deco features retained in which the building in now a grade 2 listed building. Even the original ticket machine is safely stored somewhwere,

Many of the balcony seats are original & in good condition after all the years. The times I heard the lady with the torch tell someone to be quiet in the 1/9s ! Long gone days but still fresh in the memory.

Here's a few pictures & hope it refreshers peoples memories.

Ā 

P1060513.jpg

Ā 

P1060516.jpg

Ā 

P1060526.jpg

Ā 

P1060530.jpg

Ā 

P1060532.jpg

Ā 

P1060534.jpg

Ā 

P1060528.jpg

Ā 

P1060542.jpg

Ā 

P1060546.jpg

Ā 

A very warm welcome awaits anyone who would like to have a wander back in time, tell em Catfan sent you.!

• Like 5
  • Upvote 4

I lived just behind there on Truro Crescent. 59-63Ā if I remember rightly. My parents house would be to the left of the semi in picture 8.Ā 

Ā 

The old Ritz cinema in Carlton where I took my first wife on our first date was demolished a long time ago, after being a bingo hall for a while. Ā Used to be the best cinema in the area. Ā I think houses were built on the site near Willow road.

Wonderful pictures, Catfan! I lived only a stone's throw from there throughout my childhood and saw several films at The Capitol. My mother remembered when it was built and the fields of daisies which preceded it and the houses where FLY lived...where she and her little friends played and made daisy chains in the summer.

Ā 

Dad was a regular visitor to The Capitol, usually war films or science fiction.

Ā 

Nice to see it still stands.

• Upvote 1

I'm sure my mum said the first film ever shown at The Capitol Cinema was a Charlie Chaplin movie...possibly Modern Times. I do recall pestering my father to take me to the cinema when I was around 7 or 8. He eventually gave in and took me with him to the Capitol to see a 'cowbags and Indians' film. Think it was John Wayne! I was bored stiff but fascinated by the building. Always loved the sensation of coming out of the cinema into daylight. It's like emerging from hibernation and makes me feel rather disoriented.

Ā 

I remember the scary looking posters outside The Capitol for Whatever Happened To Baby Jane. I was too young to see that. Ā My schoolchum, Margaret Beardsall, had a grandmother who sold ice cream at The Capitol and brought home free samples! Happy days!

• Upvote 1
On 14/07/2008 at 3:48 PM, poohbear said:

The last film I saw at the Roxy Ribblesdale Rd. was the original 'The Fly' shortly before it closed.

Hi poohbear remember the Roxy well I worked there in the 70s after it was turned into Lucky 7 bingo hall.

On 04/03/2013 at 4:35 PM, DAVIDW said:

Slightly later and a different genre but from my diary I kept for 1963 , when I was a spotty 14 year old . Though I always remember vaguely going to the following concerts I didn't realise how many acts were on one bill and what value they were compared to the present.These I am sure were mainly at the Odean Cinema premises and probably paid for out of money saved from my paper round.

Thurs 23rd May 1963: Ā  The Beatles, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Roy Orbison, David Macbeth?, Louise Cordet, Ian Crawford?

This tour was significant in that the Beatles were supposed to support Roy Orbison but had just gone to No1 with "From me to you" and so were made the main closing act.This made Roy O a bit peeved and they solved it by breaking the show into 2 halves with Roy O closing the first half. Roy Orbison was great and I still love his songs.

Thurs 19th Sept 1963: Ā Roy Orbison, Freddy and the Dreamers, Bryan Poole and the Tremeloes, Searchers, Sons of Piltdown Men?

24th October1963: Ā Everly Brothers, Little Richard, Bo Diddley, Rolling Stones, Mickie Most, Rattles?

Out of interest I noted on Saturday 9th Feb 1963 which was just prior to the Beatles having their first No 1 with Please Please Me that we had to fight our way in through hundreds of other teenagers to see Cliff Richard in the film "Summer Holiday" at the ABC, it was a complete bun fight.

you have missed out "Bill Hayley and the Comets" also came to the Odean

• 2 weeks later...

I came across a list I have had for decades, compiled by Nottingham cinema historian Rick Wilde in (I think) 1981, of all the cinemas in Nottingham and the surrounding districts. I cannot say that it is complete, but it is pretty near. I have re-typed it and put the cinema names in alphabetical order.

Ā Ā  Of course, some of those listed were still open at that time, but now onlyĀ the Savoy is still operating as it was intended. The Broadway and the modernĀ constructions are not listed, nor are the travelling film shows, eg, Goose Fair and Cinerama.

Ā 

Nottm_cinemas_1.jpg

Ā 

Nottm_cinemas_2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3