Nottingham cinemas

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today accompanied by Mrs C we took a nostalgic trip to the old Capitol  cinema on Churchfield Lane. Last visit was in '65 when I took a young lady to see Dr Who & the Daleks. The Capitol as many i

It was the 'Ritz' Margie,.............and i'm gutted you don't remember me.

#211 & 213, katyjay will not remember the very first time she went to the pictures. I took her to the Aspley - she would have been about five. The first thing on screen was the news. When that end

26 minutes ago, TBI said:

Little John Cinema didn't last five minutes did it, anyone know where it was situated?

Apparently on Radford Road, Hyson Green.

That info is from earlier in this thread. As posts are no longer numbered it's difficult to refer, but go back to the first - very long - post on Page 3 and then scroll down. 

No one seems to remember the 'Regal' in Carlton.  I think it's been mentioned on other threads.  Probably closed in the 60s.  Also the 'Cozy'.  Tiny little place next to the midland station in Netherfield.  May have closed in the fifties.

Thanks Dave.  I was 11 in 1955.  I went to it a time or two with my dad.  I remember seeing 'Shane'  That must have been very close to when it closed.  Place didn't seem much bigger than our front room.

I suppose television finished a lot of these places off.

On 26/08/2017 at 1:43 PM, loppylugs said:

No one seems to remember the 'Regal' in Carlton.  I think it's been mentioned on other threads.  Probably closed in the 60s.  Also the 'Cozy'.  Tiny little place next to the midland station in Netherfield.  May have closed in the fifties.

Both buildings still exist. One is now a church; the other isn't.

The Regal.

pG38TuW.jpg?1

The Cosy.

sCwRnBl.jpg?1

• Like 1

The Cozy was referred to by the locals of its day as a flea pit.  Looks even worse now.  The Regal wasn't much better.  It was a Pentecostal church when I was last there in 1997.  So it looks like it is hanging on as a church.  The Cozy just looks derelict.  The boarded up door there was the main entrance.  Similar dimensions inside.

There used to be a barbers shop next door to the Regal.  Fishers,  Bert Fisher was well liked and there was always plenty of guys waiting for a haircut, especially on Saturday mornings.  It was right next door on the opposite side from the current hair stylist shop.  Set back a little bit so it can't quite be seen in your photo.

• Like 3
  • 5 months later...

If anyone wants to look backwards, I've repaired quite a few of the Photobucket gaps in this thread. And also added few additions and alternatives.

The Capitol at Radford.

Xm6UA3V.jpg?1

The Dale at Sneinton.

CQMPRog.jpg?2

The Ritz at Burton Road, Carlton.

q9vb2lM.jpg?2

The Orion on Alfreton Road, nr Canning Circus.

WdZ3ctx.jpg?2

The Roxy at Sherwood.

aHK2GaE.jpg?1

• Like 3
On 12/03/2015 at 2:21 PM, sandra-clifford said:

I used to go to Leno's, Hyson Green. Also the Grand - had huge columns which were a left over from it's time as a music hall. Also on Radford Road was the Boulevard cinema. That was 3 cinema's just on one road.

Paul, we lived across the road from a man who played the organ in the Globe cinema when they had the silent movies.

Hi Sandra do you know the name

of the man who played

the organ at the

globe? I’m trying to find info on a young woman who played the organ/piano during the silent movies.

I think the woman who played the organ during the silent movies was called Millie Bate, does anyone remember her?

• Upvote 1

Looked down the list and can add one more. The Grove on Waterway St. I remember as a nipper being taken there by me mam and dad to see Jane Russell in 'Underwater' but we were refused entry because I was too young.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

On the point of giving up..I think I had the quote system sussed but fully referencing text or repeating previous photo's is looked down on. I post from a very old internet phone 3 max 4 inch screen. Catweezle..really good site but couldn't get page 2 to open. Is there somewhere called Picture Palace on your list closed in about 1940 at the bottom of Sneinton Rd..roughly facing the Lamp Pub.

11 hours ago, HSR said:

Is there somewhere called Picture Palace on your list closed in about 1940 at the bottom of Sneinton Rd..roughly facing the Lamp Pub.

I think this is the one.  St Alban's church is still there.

sxAbooK.jpg

• Like 1

The only pictures I used to visit in the Meadows was The Grove on Kirk White St. I remember one film about Bonfire Night, someone in a Guy Fawkes suit and mask getting stuck on the bonfire and going up in smoke. Don't know what they were doing showing that to little kids, gave me the bleddy heeby-jeebies for ages

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

I think this is the one.  St Alban's church is still there.

sxAbooK.jpg

Thanks Clifton..this map is brilliant..names buildings etc..shows early redevelopment of Manvers St but no Sun Inn on Sun St..maybe lost to redevelopment..Could you please look a little further north Sun Inn Yard..silly question but was there an Inn there? I think it's in the Coalpit Lane area. GGG grandfather or GG Uncle had an altercation with the owner in the 1880's!

Edit..I think the Sun Inn I'm talking about was on Sun Street off Manvers St..i recall seeing a reference in a Kelly's directory.