Nottingham cinemas

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today accompanied by Mrs C we took a nostalgic trip to the old Capitol  cinema on Churchfield Lane. Last visit was in '65 when I took a young lady to see Dr Who & the Daleks. The Capitol as many i

It was the 'Ritz' Margie,.............and i'm gutted you don't remember me.

#211 & 213, katyjay will not remember the very first time she went to the pictures. I took her to the Aspley - she would have been about five. The first thing on screen was the news. When that end

Just been looking at the smallest pubs thread..sure it must have been mentioned before. wasn't there a tiny cinema across Parliament St from the Palais? Broad or George St ?

Would that be the Co op theatre thats been mentioned a few times on here?, I think our Chulla used to visit the place quite a bit

Rog

There is a cinema on Broad Street. When I was a child,  the building was known as The Rainbow Rooms and was used for dancing competitions. I took part in many of them. I studied ballet with Patricia James whose school of dance was in the lower club room of what was then the Co-operative Arts Theatre.

Patricia James died last year, I believe.

A friend of mine is a regular visitor to the Broadway cinema.

Chulla's daughter studied dancing with Nora Morrison and would also have taken part in those competitions many years ago.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, HSR said:

Just been looking at the smallest pubs thread..sure it must have been mentioned before. wasn't there a tiny cinema across Parliament St from the Palais? Broad or George St ?

This place on Broad Street used to be a very small cinema. You can still see a ghost sign naming it as 'Screen 22' - which I believe may have been the seating capacity.

https://goo.gl/maps/NmrTs6fVA492

• Upvote 1

Think this must be the cinema I used to go go in the 70's.  They showed arty subtitled European films, often with strange titles - I remember going to see The Goalkeepers Fear of the Penalty - a German film, I think

• Like 1

People think there was only four cinemas in the meadows and most have forgotten the Queens so that leaves the Imp,Globe and the Grove,but there was another one though not really a cinema but that popular they had to have two sittings to watch the films every week and you had to have your card to get in and it was full every week.It was of course the Bridgeway Hall corner of Arkwright and Kirkewhite St a building used by local schools for  nav plays and speech nights, I can sometimes still smell the lunch time dinners served there during the war and well into the fifties for the local workers, a fine place indeed.

• Like 1

My grandmother used to stand outside there selling poppy's for rememberance day, I sometimes stood with her,I would be four or fives years old so 1956/57

Rog

• Like 1
4 hours ago, trevorthegasman said:

People think there was only four cinemas in the meadows and most have forgotten the Queens so that leaves the Imp,Globe and the Grove,but there was another one though not really a cinema but that popular they had to have two sittings to watch the films every week and you had to have your card to get in and it was full every week.It was of course the Bridgeway Hall corner of Arkwright and Kirkewhite St a building used by local schools for  nav plays and speech nights, I can sometimes still smell the lunch time dinners served there during the war and well into the fifties for the local workers, a fine place indeed.

wHu96aP.jpg

• Like 3

Love that picture on the bottom right end corner you can see the alley which went thru from Kirkewhite St to Arkwright used to play football sometimes in the yard out of shot,and on the left side bottom cnr is the Sir Richard Arkwright the pub I met my wife in and the pub   I had "dutch courage" drinks in before a 3.00pm event at St Saviours on the 30th Oct 1965.

So here we are Sunday noon my wife cooking Sunday dinner in a sunny Bunbury(not street} Western Australia,thanks for the memories.

• Like 2

As you look at the picture,I have spent many an hour stood to the left of that doorway to Bridgway hall, with My grandmother selling poppy's for remembrance day, slightly off topic now,My grandmother and some of the ladies from the Meadows would meet in the hall and knit gloves,socks,balaclava's and scarves for the soldiers who were fighting in ww1, they also made up food parcels to send to the soldiers, I have a post card that was sent to my grandmother from my grandfather who was at Ypres thanking her "for the ham that they sent,because the canteen facilities aren't very good there at the moment,the lads enjoyed it", bit of an understatement there I think, so,Bridgeway hall played it's part in religion, plays,film, among others and also played a big part in the war effort

Rog

• Like 1