Nottingham cinemas

13 hours ago, DaveN said:

In a book about Nottm. cinemas that I have, there was Palace Theatre (aka Sneinton Picture Palace) which opened in 1913 and closed in December 1945

Thanks DaveN..prior to 1913 could have been a music hall?

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today accompanied by Mrs C we took a nostalgic trip to the old Capitol  cinema on Churchfield Lane. Last visit was in '65 when I took a young lady to see Dr Who & the Daleks. The Capitol as many i

It was the 'Ritz' Margie,.............and i'm gutted you don't remember me.

#211 & 213, katyjay will not remember the very first time she went to the pictures. I took her to the Aspley - she would have been about five. The first thing on screen was the news. When that end

12 hours ago, HSR said:

..this map is brilliant..names buildings etc..shows early redevelopment of Manvers St but no Sun Inn on Sun St..maybe lost to redevelopment..Could you please look a little further north Sun Inn Yard..silly question but was there an Inn there? I think it's in the Coalpit Lane area. GGG grandfather or GG Uncle had an altercation with the owner in the 1880's!

Edit..I think the Sun Inn I'm talking about was on Sun Street off Manvers St..i recall seeing a reference in a Kelly's directory.

It gets complicated. This is Sun Street (the road going diagonally on the right is Manvers Street) and at this time - 1880s - there aren't any Inns shown, but there are two Malthouses nearby. There doesn't seem to be a Sun Inn in the area, which leads to the fact that I can't find a Sun Inn Yard.

4XLzqKt.jpg

Another possible explanation may be that nearby, off Colwick Street (effectively behind Victoria Baths) was a road named Sun Hill. But it only seems to have housing, with no pubs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, TBI said:

Presumably it's not the same Sun Inn Yard as on Forman St, behind the Sun Inn on Parliament St?

Not the Sun Inn I'm looking for but found looking through records ..Looks a seventies pic Sun Inn Yard...with fore???  Bar  could be foreman's bar on one corner..I thought this was Coalpit Lane area..why i have no idea!

Think you could be right TBI!

3 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

It gets complicated. This is Sun Street (the road going diagonally on the right is Manvers Street) and at this time - 1880s - there aren't any Inns shown, but there are two Malthouses nearby. There doesn't seem to be a Sun Inn in the area, which leads to the fact that I can't find a Sun Inn Yard.

4XLzqKt.jpg

Another possible explanation may be that nearby, off Colwick Street (effectively behind Victoria Baths) was a road named Sun Hill. But it only seems to have housing, with no pubs.

Thanks Cliffton..It's definitely here ..probably just house/pub but I'm sure iv'e seen it listed in a directory. When I looked at the pictures from the era ..all two of them..there appeared to be no entrances.. eg King Billy pub to White st..your map seems to confirm this?

7 minutes ago, AfferGorritt said:

Saw those 2 pics on a Post website but couldn’t make out where the top sketch was supposed to be. It doesn’t seem to fit the topography of Cliff Ton’s map at all, and E A Wilcox butchers was at the bottom of Carlton Road!

Perhaps it's just artistic license?  All the elements that the artist wanted to include are there - just not in their actual places....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It's like the pictures by the artist, Alan Ingham, that I was discussing with Phil M the other day. I read that Alan had stated in one of his books, that every painting was an amalgamation of various scenes and locations, and that no one picture depicted an actual place or location. All brilliant pictures though.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

It's like the pictures by the artist, Alan Ingham, that I was discussing with Phil M the other day. I read that Alan had stated in one of his books, that every painting was an amalgamation of various scenes and locations, and that no one picture depicted an actual place or location. All brilliant pictures though.

We have an Ingram called ‘This England’ which is an extra wide panoramic pastoral view of nowhere in particular with a village, church, sheep and hills. I’ll have to go and check on the others to see if they are specific to a place.

Just checked. 'Secret Dale', 'Autumn Glory', and 'Journey's End'. The pictures could be the Yorkshire Dales, the Cotswolds or a combination of both. He settled near Cheltenham where he did most of his paintings so I suspect a Cotswold influence although he was born in Yorkshire. He died in 2002.

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Not the best photo you'll ever see, but it puts the cinema in a wider context. The road on the right is the Carlton Road end of Manvers Street.

793dCRL.jpg

Brilliant again Cliff Ton..always wondered what percentage of buildings were kept on Southwell Road after demolition on Manvers St. The Flittermans?   on the corner had a very strange layout little offshoot rooms..uneven floors etc. I have many more observations & questions..think I need to buy a laptop! Hope I'm not a pain in the arse?

On 3/27/2019 at 12:10 AM, IAN123. said:

The Old Palace Theatre, Sneintonpalace.png.

Maybe not could this be Eyre St ? Leading up to the cinema..pretty sure it didn't change in layout to this day though. I don't think the Lamp pub was there when the cinema was built so maybe some redevelopment on left of the pic? Means nothing but last building on the aerial photography is a lighter colour..possibly a later addition or a sunny day!

Just sitting in tea bar having a cup of tea looking above this any else seeing the same 3 photos in less that 7 posts? 

On 27 March 2019 at 12:10 AM, IAN123. said:

4 hours ago, HSR said:

Maybe not could this be Eyre St ? Leading up to the cinema..pretty sure it didn't change in layout to this day though. I don't think the Lamp pub was there when the cinema was built so maybe some redevelopment on left of the pic? Means nothing but last building on the aerial photography is a lighter colour..possibly a later addition or a sunny day!

palace.png

4 hours ago, HSR said:

5 hours ago, HSR said:

The Old Palace Theatre, Sneintonpalace.png.Definitely artistic licence.. can't figure at all.

18 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Not the best photo you'll ever see, but it puts the cinema in a wider context. The road on the right is the Carlton Road end of Manvers Street.

793dCRL.jpg

4 hours ago, HSR said:

Brilliant again Cliff Ton..always wondered what percentage of buildings were kept on Southwell Road after demolition on Manvers St. The Flittermans?   on the corner had a very strange layout little offshoot rooms..uneven floors etc. I have many more observations & questions..think I need to buy a laptop! Hope I'm not a pain in the arse?

793dCRL.jpg

I'm sure I'm also seeing photo twice or is it one of those " Spot the Difference" games? 

Just upped my mobile data to 5GB but it don't kick until tomorrow! Should be able to pick up the FREE WiFi in the Sherwin Arms car park on my piss break. 

I counted 9 birds & 7 birds in the second picture? But me batteries bit dead, back to the grind.

palace.pngpalace.png

Love your sense of humour... or is it passive aggression?  Made me laugh anyway!

• Like 1