Nottingham cinemas

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today accompanied by Mrs C we took a nostalgic trip to the old CapitolĀ  cinema on Churchfield Lane. Last visit was in '65 when I took a young lady to see Dr Who & the Daleks. The Capitol as many i

It was the 'Ritz' Margie,.............and i'm gutted you don't remember me.

#211 & 213, katyjay will not remember the very first time she went to the pictures. I took her to the Aspley - she would have been about five. The first thing on screen was the news. When that end

I can confirm that the Savoy is still going (I went past on my way to the hospital on Monday and forgot to post )

That house, corner of Derby Road and Lenton Blvd, in the 70's was quite a plush residence.

It had a swimming pool and lots of girls. I think the guy ran some kind of entertainment agency?

Think you was closer with the entertainment agency , i know he lived with 2 girls !!!! One was a stripper stage name Pepper , can't remember the others name but it could have been salt ?

He did have a go @ stand up comedy using most of Barry St.Ives material who was also his mate , i believe he lasted 2 to 3 minutes @ his one & only gig @ The Variety Club .

He would have been better doing a double act with his 2 chicks

There was a girl who lived on Glapton road near Ferriby Terrace, the Meadows,

who had some involvement, but the name escapes me?

• 2 months later...

i remember the Globe,trent bridge the Grove in the Meadows, Imperial Wilford Road, Queens near the station, Odeon, Carlton Guamount, Scala, News Theater,Cavondish wells road,Vernon Sherwood Metropole, and the one on sherwood road Empress wells road, the Dale and the Rio there was a couple in Bulwell but cannot recall there names

The other one was the "Cozy" just near the Midland station in Netherfield. If I remember rightly their screen was about the size of our front window.

Happy daze!!!

Dave

I've never heard of the Cozy in Netherfield. Whereabouts was it exactly?

I've never heard of the Cozy in Netherfield. Whereabouts was it exactly?

It was down a road just to the left of the Midland Station. Across the road from it was a garage. It was sort of hole in the wall type of place hardly visible from Victoria road but only a stonesthrow from it.

If I remember rightly it became a warehouse of some type.

Dave

It's still there! Here is a pic of the outside.

cozy.jpg

That's it Bamber. The entrance was just behind the vehicle in your photo. The place sure looks run down now, looked a lot better in the late 50s when I went there. Can't remember how many it might have seated but certainly not many.

Dave

A couple more. I ain't no David Bailey.

cozy2.jpg

cozy3.jpg

Even more compact and bijou than the Smallest Show on Earth. A lady in Carlton Library told me that if you wanted to sit in the Cozy's balcony you paid for your ticket; went back outside and round the corner to another door.

I have to go into Nottingham City Library tomorrow. I'll see if I can find anything else of interest.

A couple more. I ain't no David Bailey.

Even more compact and bijou than the Smallest Show on Earth. A lady in Carlton Library told me that if you wanted to sit in the Cozy's balcony you paid for your ticket; went back outside and round the corner to another door.

I have to go into Nottingham City Library tomorrow. I'll see if I can find anything else of interest.

Wow! Didn't even know they had a balcony.

Often wondered what happened to all the old projectors out of those places. Could hardly have been sold for home use. I assume they were just sent out for scrap.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Blimey!

Thats going back a bit...

Hercules Unchained

Year Of Release: 1959

Directed By: Pietro Francisci

Filming Location: Italy

Starring: Steve Reeves, Sylva Koscina, Sylvia Lopez, Gabriele Antonini, Primo Carnera, Patrizia Della Rovere, Sergio Fantoni, Mimmo Palmara

Interesting Bits of Trivia:

Steve Reeves made a very nice career for himself starring in a rather large number of Italian peplum films. Steve was born on January 21, 1926, and he died on May 1, 2000 from complications from lymphoma. Some of Steve's many bodybuilding titles included Mr. America (1947), Mr. World, and Mr. Universe (1950).

herculesunchainedsm.jpg

http://www.bmoviecentral.com

Blimey!

Thats going back a bit...

Hercules Unchained

Year Of Release: 1959

Directed By: Pietro Francisci

Filming Location: Italy

Starring: Steve Reeves, Sylva Koscina, Sylvia Lopez, Gabriele Antonini, Primo Carnera, Patrizia Della Rovere, Sergio Fantoni, Mimmo Palmara

Interesting Bits of Trivia:

Steve Reeves made a very nice career for himself starring in a rather large number of Italian peplum films. Steve was born on January 21, 1926, and he died on May 1, 2000 from complications from lymphoma. Some of Steve's many bodybuilding titles included Mr. America (1947), Mr. World, and Mr. Universe (1950).

herculesunchainedsm.jpg

http://www.bmoviecentral.com

Steve Reeves was also a former "Superman" (one of the first) and wasn't Primo Carnera also a former world heavy weight boxing champ?? 'The Ambling Alp' springs to mind

Back to Nottingham Cinemas

The Ritz (Burton Road Carlton) opened in 1936. The Victoria (Later the Regal) opened on Station Road in 1913!!! and the Alexandra (Later to become "The Cozy") was opened in July 1911!!!!!!! Believe it or not

Back to Nottingham Cinemas

The Ritz (Burton Road Carlton) opened in 1936. The Victoria (Later the Regal) opened on Station Road in 1913!!! and the Alexandra (Later to become "The Cozy") was opened in July 1911!!!!!!! Believe it or not

Wow 1911. It must be the oldest cinema building in Nottingham [sic] that is still standing.

Unfortunately the local studies library was flooded recently and is closed until further notice, but this has tickled my interest.

Details were gleaned from page 47 of my new

oldcarltonmore.jpg

some facinating stuff in here (some wrong bits too) but well worth a looksie if poss