Cant believe how much Clifton has changed in the 7 months that I have left, firstly the Spinney has been demolished spent many hours in there working hard and then JBs and not only that the building work going on at the top of Farnborough Road how much bigger are they going to make the Estate which is seriously without any decent shops and has been for years. could have used the site as a Tesco or Asda.

Miss the people of Clifton lived there many years probably too many, however, enjoying the peace and tranquility of Wales now and we won the Grand Slam, (sorry always supported Welsh Rugby)

My Aunt still lives at Clifton, she's lived there since the mid 50's, used to be a chore to get there back those days, irregular bus service, no Clifton Bridge, poor shopping, in fact if my memory serves me, she had to do her shopping in Nottingham back then.

In the mid 50s at Clifton Orford Ave,Varney Rd and Southchurch Drive shops were open the Estate was also served by loads of mobile shops,the co-op,butchers greengrocers etc.The buses were 61 went up Southchuch Drive and 61A went as far as the Fairham Pub.

The mobile shops were how she probably got most of her groceries back then, I know she travelled into to town once a week to do her main shopping for a long time.

Be'Ave Den!

Talking of Mobile Shops, in 68 when I was a young apprentice at the Coop.

Mobile Greengrocery stores, large wagons would leave the Coop Greengrocery warehouse at Meadow lane,

Probably to serve Clifton and other estates?

IMMSC We used to get one in Carlton in the early/mid 60's before they redeveloped 'The Square' and built a 'Fine Fare'. It used to go round Garden City (Off Cavendish Road) one or two days a week

Bingham's mobile store has been operated for more than 40 years by Ron Henry, who began the round as a teenager.

The town has tripled in size over that time, but he still manages to cover it all during in a very full weeks work.

Cheers

Robt P.

When I first moved to Chilwell thair use to be a mobile greengrocers that came along Field lane and stopped to trade just down from the bus stop opposite Burton drive, whether it still comes I haven’t the foggiest….sorry I don’t have any more information than that.

Also a mobile library comes once every two weeks that I know still does.

Bip.

• 3 weeks later...
Cant believe how much Clifton has changed in the 7 months that I have left, firstly the Spinney has been demolished spent many hours in there working hard and then JBs and not only that the building work going on at the top of Farnborough Road how much bigger are they going to make the Estate which is seriously without any decent shops and has been for years. could have used the site as a Tesco or Asda.

Miss the people of Clifton lived there many years probably too many, however, enjoying the peace and tranquility of Wales now and we won the Grand Slam, (sorry always supported Welsh Rugby)

Tesco is coming to clifton on april the 18th the esso garage or "the 24 hour" as it is commonly known as is closing its doors for the last time and being demolished and will reopen as a tesco select complete with new petrol station i did hear that they also wanted the man of trent's "manor" land but the brewery wouldn't sell but don't quote me on that :unsure:

DAZ :cool: