In the mid 70's we used to go to see bands play on a sunday lunchtime at the "Manchester Unity Club" in Station Road, Beeston. I think that was the name. I remember seeing Gaffa there but can't remember any other names. Is it still there? Does anyone else remember going there?

SR

It was recently knocked down to make way for a new supermarket. It had several name changes, yew tree?

Bip might know being from that side of town. In the seventies it was owned by the Stubbins family, well known family

in the Meadows.

Den

• 9 months later...
In the mid 70's we used to go to see bands play on a sunday lunchtime at the "Manchester Unity Club" in Station Road, Beeston. I think that was the name. I remember seeing Gaffa there but can't remember any other names. Is it still there? Does anyone else remember going there?

SR

Tjhe Manchester Unity Club was on Middle Street a bit further on from Ginevers on the other side of the road

I used to babysit at Ginevers...."upstairs"

Man Unity became the Beech Tree ( named after the big 'beech tree' in the car park ) ( still there )..and then the 'cow at beeston'......knocked down for a tecos but thats not gonna happen now so yet another foul up in beeston.

In the mid 70's we used to go to see bands play

Yes I thought about 1976, went to see Matarka play, think they were supporting Gaffa? one christmas "sunday" however I do know I saw them at The Test Match WB the night of the big storm Oct 1987 (remember Town Arms roof blew off and we couldn't get back over Trent Bridge) and it seems odd they were still playing local 10 or so years later?

Ginevers, for those who dont know, is the Funeral Parlour.

As an apprentice electrician in the 70's, I worked on its rebuild.

Up on a ladder in the garage, an open coffin was wheeled below me.

The man then proceeded to lather up the occupant and shave him.

Whiskers continue to grow on a corpse... Not many people know that

I used to babysit at Ginevers...."upstairs"

Man Unity became the Beech Tree ( named after the big 'beech tree' in the car park ) ( still there )..and then the 'cow at beeston'......knocked down for a tecos but thats not gonna happen now so yet another foul up in beeston.

Looks like the Tesco is gonna happen. They had to resubmit plans for the car park