Nottingham Council House on Saint Patrick's Day

I'd heard that the Council House was going to be opened up to the public on Monday so thought I'd pop down with my camera. I'm sure it's been open to many other public events before but I've personally never been inside and was quite curious to have a look around.

I just had a look in and a couple of pints of Guinness before they closed the bar at 4pm but had a really interesting time wandering around. Particularly impressive were the large dining hall and the Council chamber. Nobody seemed to mind visitors popping in to many of the various areas.

The below has a few images of inside the Council House. I have others if anyone is interested.

Saint Patrick's Day in Nottingham

DSCN0834.jpg

Stu,

Your Council House excursion report was most enjoyable.

Had I been aware of this rare access to the building, I'd certainly have 'made the effort' - often wondered, when passing, what lay inside! Rather naively, I was also unaware of their Patrick Day association. Clearly I've missed the chance to hear some of my favourite music...

Cheers

Robt P.

Comment also posted on your website

Great pics Stu

Thank you.

I know that guy with the pint from somewhere?

And Why Ghandi?

Simple ,Mick.

It`s because of his connection to the fair.

Goosey Goosey Ghandi

Where shall I Whandi ! !inthebin!

On a more serious note,Mick,I whandi,(oops) wonder if it was anything to do with his visit to University College?(Nottingham)

On 17 October 1931 Mahatma Ghandi addressed a packed student audience in the Great Hall. The visit was arranged because Ghandi's nephew, J V Joshi, was then a student at the College.

Nice pictures Stu.

How lucky we are in Nottingham to have a proper bit of municipal architecture. It proclaims pride and confidence in the City and contrasts pointedly with the utter anonymity of its county council equivalent.

Imagine if the city fathers had waited till after the War to build a new Council House. It would be a glass and concrete block "civic centre" now ripe for demolition. Even worse we could have ended up with a design n' build cheapo effort like Gedling's civic bungalow.

More on the Council House

http://www.nottinghamcivicsociety.org.uk/stockholm.htm

Nice photos Stu. Am I missing something but what has St Patricks day celebrations got to do with Nottingham? Do they celebrate St Georges day in the same way. I doubt it

Nice photos Stu. Am I missing something but what has St Patricks day celebrations got to do with Nottingham? Do they celebrate St Georges day in the same way. I doubt it

Sorry mate. I'm not getting into the politics of it. Glad you enjoyed the pics.

LOL - Heck here they even drink green beer!

Do you know of ANY self-respecting Irishman who would stoop so low as to drink green beer?

I do agree St. Georges Day should have equal, or higher billing - sign up here:

http://www.stgeorgesholiday.com/

Apologies to Stu!

Plenty of chat about Nottingham's architecture here:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=985

Tried it, but you have made it that popular it's crashed

• 4 years later...
  • 3 years later...

My Aunty Grace (Roberts) was the first lady Sherriff of Nottingham in 1976/77.........

• 11 months later...

I went to the Lord Mayors ball one year. I was amazed there isn't a proper bar in there and drinks were served from trestle tables.

Nothing to do with the Council House, nor St Patrick's Day for that matter, but watching the parade in town today reminded me of a couple of nights I spent in the Victoria Hotel with an Irish Wolfhound!  It was the summer of 1975.

He was a budding film star and I was working with my sister-in-law on a film set at Haddon Hall.  This fabulous hound had to sit at a long banqueting table that was set with silver candlesticks, china and crystal glasses, front paws on the table.  Alongside were famous actors of the day, including Oliver Reed and Susan George.  They were all staying at Victoria Hotel, but Mr Reed did his usual mis-behaving and got chucked out of the hotel for wrecking the bar.  

Sister-in-law and I took the dog around the middle of Nottingham for him to do his necessaries late at night, he terrified the drunks hanging about, just the size of him. He was the size of a small pony!

One night we got into the lift to go up to our room and Susan George was in there being devoured by Patrick Wayne, son of John.  Quite embarrassing how they were going at it too!  

Anyway, the film company ran out of money and it was never finished unfortunately, but we had a great time for a few days.  I can't even remember what the un-finished film was going to be called, but it's 42 years ago!

• Upvote 6

Not associated with Nottingham PP but I helped out with chickens and whippets at Luton Hoo during the filming of Vanity Fair when we lived in Hertfordshire.  Watched endless takes of Reece Witherspoon  climbing onto a horse-drawn carriage, with men standing on step ladders with watering cans .... it was supposed to be raining :wacko:.  All the extras were totally drenched, don't think that was intentional.  

Sis-in-law and her animals have lots of interesting and well-known credits to their name, lots of stage shows, films and pet food adverts.  An interesting life but she has to put a lot of effort into training the animals, she's still so enthusiastic after 40 odd years but it's a full-time job in a business which was started by my mother-in-law in the mid 60s when she saw an advert for a Bull Terrier and an Owl to be used on a film, which turned out to be 'Oliver'. They had the dog and she went out and bought an owl.  

• Upvote 2