Queen Victoria's statue

"...1,500 GBP was raised by public subscription for a statue dedicated to Samuel Morley. Made by sculptor Harvard Thomas of Chelsea, it was unveiled in Theatre Square in October 1888. This statue was broken in Dec. 1926 whilst being moved to a new site at the entrance to the Aboretum. It was replaced by the bust by Joseph Else in Dec.1928..."
....who eventually got a pub named after him.

I'd wondered where it came from, even if the neon wasn't working properly when Streetview went by. http://goo.gl/maps/Vs4Iy

• 7 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I was about to ask this question. I felt sure there was at one time a statue of queen Victoria near slab square. Now I know. I'd forgotten that it had been taken to the embankment.

I thought it was in front of the 'Theatre Royal''  at one time ?

Think she was looking for the love of her life......Prince Albert..........

• Like 1

She was unveiled In the Old Market Square in 1905 and removed to the Embankment in 1953. There is no record of the statue being in front of the Theatre Royal. The statue once in Theatre Square was of Samuel Morley, the MP and knitwear manufacturer. I think that was moved to the Arboretum. 

• Like 2

Thanks for that Phil.........i thought i'd seen her statue on a photo near the theatre ..obviously got it wrong........

OH!!!!! one can dream phil  just half a larger in one of our city pubs will do.

• 2 years later...

Does anyone remember the bus stop at the Market Square (Trolley bus I think), adjacent to Queen Victoria's statue,  being called "Queen Victoria"? I seem to rememebr, as a child, asking for a ticket to Victoria and being asked by the conductor "Station or Statue?", although the statue had gone by then.

Sadly I remember it on the way to see Grandma in Bulwell.

On the way, for some inexplicable reason, I decided the big green gasholders were mine, me mam confirmed it, they were definitely mine but too big to take home with us.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I found this picture of Queen Victoria's statue when the goose fair was held in the Market Square. I think that the picture was taken before the start of the first world war. Notice how white the statue is, the only other pictures I have seen of it were completely black! That was obviously down to air pollution. I remember when they sand blasted the guildhall, I was totally amazed as I had only ever known it as a black stone building!

https://postimg.cc/v475yKSs

• Like 1

Welcome   Marrowman to the local mad house! well allmost 

What a great picture I can't remember QV being in slab square but she was moved many times. QV was placed if I remember outside the TR then down on the Embankment Wilford end, I think she is now in The Gardens of Rest near Trent Bridge end.

Marrowman do keep post in lets see some more photos.

Just checked my history books sorry Cliff ton it was the Morley statue that stood in Theatre Square it was unveiled in 1888 it was later removed and earmarked for the Arboretum, but it fell from the lorry while on its way and smashed beyond repair.  Queen Victoria was indeed in our market square it was moved in January 1953 and taken to the Embankment Memorial Gardens, this was moved to make way for a new traffic scheme.   I seem to remember through a statue of a queen down Wilford end of the Embankment.   I would like to put this as a test for members, is there any member out there that knows about this statue or was I dreaming.

On 10/26/2023 at 9:19 PM, mary1947 said:

Welcome   Marrowman to the local mad house! well allmost 

What a great picture I can't remember QV being in slab square but she was moved many times. QV was placed if I remember outside the TR then down on the Embankment Wilford end, I think she is now in The Gardens of Rest near Trent Bridge end.

Marrowman do keep post in lets see some more photos.

Thanks Mary 

On 10/26/2023 at 9:57 PM, mary1947 said:

I seem to remember through a statue of a queen down Wilford end of the Embankment.   I would like to put this as a test for members, is there any member out there that knows about this statue or was I dreaming.

The statue at the Wilford end of the Embankment is Sir Robert Clifton. It's still there.

Cheers boys for clearing that up.