• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there are some who have left the forum, for reasons best known to themselves, who still like to come back and have a peek. You know who you are! 

They’re like nosey neighbours, peeking from behind the curtains.  Sad really. 

I sometimes look at Nottstalgia without logging on too, and like you and many others TBI if there’s no topic I’m interested in I don’t bother logging in.  That’s not the same as logging in Anonimously

No ! One has taken flight already..... Bleddy laughable !

• Like 1

Nighty night everyone !

These so-called 'guests' are most frequently not humans but bots gathering information. This could be all sorts of stuff such as statistics for legitimate reasons or criminal (searching for information such as addresses and other private details) for nefarious purposes. The Nigerian diplomat/prince/banker/tycoon didn't pluck your address from thin air, you know.

I have lost count of the number of times that I have warned forum members, here and elsewhere, of the folly - danger, indeed - of posting their email address (or any other personal details) on a public forum.

The number of guests in any one day can often be directly correlated with the popularity of a forum.

9 hours ago, TBI said:

So we're not talking about 'guests' then? I see, for some reason a member logs in but can do so 'anonymously'? That means they can look at what others are reading if they wanted to (which a guest wouldn't)? Never knew this, can't see the point of it. What's the facility supposed to be there for?

TBI, this is what is being referred to. At the time I grabbed this screenshot there was no-one logged in as Anonymous, but sometimes that number can be as high as 4 or 5. It's different to being logged in as a Guest which is just someone who hasn't bothered to log in (could be a member, or just a passer-by who has never registered). Anonymous can only be a registered member, and is a conscious decision for whatever reason.

vBkX0Dv.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, jonab said:

nefarious 

Crikey ...... Googles nefarious!  

Does anybody view this site on their phone? Which I do sometimes at work. Android or iPhone, I would say it's not very phone friendly, hence my complaining about word & song games, when your paying for data, do really want reams & reams of that shite? Anyway gone off track, I'm not logged in, or never have on my phone, I just view as a guest, which there is some topics you can not see? Think that's correct.

Also I noticed when admin@Ayupmeducks posts anything his name is not at the top? So he must be posting & visiting while anonymous? But so what?        

• Like 1

"Guests" can be "Bots" too, a check on my mining site shows dozens of "Bots" visit every day, "Bots" are automated visitors, like Yahoo, Google etc, etc.

I generally log in Anon, always have done.

That was when I forgot to tick the Anon box when I logged in.

11 minutes ago, radfordred said:

Naarrh ........ I can't see any reason to log out unless your on shared device? Or your ridiculously paranoid :crazy:

Have to think about the latter.

RR, Looks as though you've got lots of 'likes' - don't you want to see who likes what you've posted?  And you've a couple of private messages as well...  people will think you're ignoring them!

• Like 1

The bell symbol tells you someone has liked your post, and to let you know you have a pm.

I log out after every session, my computer remembers my password, plus I have it written down, as I use random characters and numerals rather than a word, it's far safer and almost impossible to hack.

• 8 months later...

There's been an usually large number of Guests in the last few weeks. Most of them seem to be genuine, but today I noticed even more than usual, all apparently originating from roughly the same source.

Tracing the IP address they were bots from Huawei in Hong Kong.

Makes a change from Experian.

Experian mining for information I can understand but what data is a Chinese technology giant hoping to find? Make me wonder whether all the fuss about Huawei and security has some foundation.

We  know about Microsoft, Google and other overt sites spying on us (they force us to agree to it) but the number of covert ones that do not have permission is worrying - big brother draws ever closer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I wasn't sure about whether Huawei are innocent or guilty. But I don't think I have any personal secrets the Chinese govt would be interested in.

Now that their name has been mentioned, I'm sure they'll be back because the bots hunt and find references to themselves. Exactly like Experian did last year. Once you mention them, you end up high on their list of priorities for a few weeks until they get tired and move off to irritate someone else.

Intelligence gathering is far more than just harvesting your e-mail address. As individuals you're probably correct but the profiles they build of populations could help them with whatever scheme they may or may not have.

Do we or will we ever know what data our PC/Mac/Phone/Modem is relaying about us?

Going to stop now and get off my hobby horse before I go full conspiracy theorist.

• Like 1

'Conspiracy theorist' is just a perjorative title used of someone who is a bit suspicious of the truth of the official story.  That is often true of me and I don't care.  Used to be the media would ask some hard questions, but thos days are gone.  Maybe Huwai (or whatever their name is)  are checking to see who is opposed to 5g.  That is getting to be a hot topic in some circles.  If they are right we have summat to worry about.