Can anyone remember Heasons furniture shop on Kirkwhite Street my Dad my grandma and my auntie all worked there and i was also given the owners name as my middle name .My dad lived on Willersley Street and my mam was born and lived on Ryehill Cottages my dads name was John Cooksey my mam was Janice Ellingsworth sadly she died in 1972 when i was 5 any comments stories or just friends of those 2 please let me know .Cheers everybody .

• 4 years later...

I don't recall Heasons, I lived on Kirke-White Street for a while, I remember Len Ellingsworth, used to walk to work with him when I was an apprentice on nights at Clifton Colliery.

I lived for a time in Ryehill Cottages when I first got married until relocation when the Meadows were being redeveloped.

fill in or correct from heasons next street derwent st think cricketers onthe corner.continuing you passed some shops one being a barbers can anyone remember other shops the next st was blackstone st with a shop on the corner ithink just under railway bridge the next st was annersley st think pub on corner then queens drive. crossing over and heading back to arkwright st on the corner was cop shop behind which stood some sort of church hall where they had discos then came large entrnce into railway yard not sure if you could get through to Nixon Knowles timber yard . there then followed a row of houses down to railway bridge underwhich you would find Jack hardys bookies tiniest shop ever this was ithink on the corner of mayfield grove not sure if cinema was on opposite corner. then came an alleyway that went through toryland cresent the lawtons lived first house thencame more shops including another barbers then came bruce grove duncans food shop on one corner between bruce grove and the next rd which was wilford grove there was back entries. on the corner of wilford grove was rosses greengrocers on the other corner was the CO OP grocers with the CO OP butchers next door run by mick agreat bloke then followed some houses hogg the butchers stoodopposite jacks beer off cant remember this rd could have been agnes st between there and arkwright st you would have found tarries newsagent afishing tackle shop cant remember others when reaching arkwright st on the opposite corner stood bridgeway hall followed by duke of newcastle pub then bells china and hardwhare shop with acouplle of alleyways between

• Upvote 1
  • 7 months later...

I had a Saturday morning job at Heasons Sir.

Sorting the waste out, not in the shop.

Do you recall Sandersons Tripe and cowheel shop on Arkwright Street?

The Pawnbrokers shop always fascinated me, I don't know why, we never used it.

And the large Toy shop further towards Trent Bridge on the right - where I bought my model air-plane kits (Air-Fix?) and 2d lucky bags.

Thanks for the memory prompting Sir.