• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I posted this on another page a while ago and I was surprised at the reaction it got.   The railway bridge at Chandos Street; the scene has hardly changed although you won't see steam trains

I was born in Netherfield at No 124 curzon street in my grandparents ( Thomas & Mabel Barratt's) house. I was the first of eventually three children born to Nev & Jean Barratt. Shortly after m

Hi I remember trent fields, muck heaps, colwick loco,played in ouse dyke setting each other to jump across certain places and getting wet through. going under the bridge near the royal oak. Remember

Thankyou was really strange how I got here today as a car passed me that had the number plate Wilcox and I remember a Simon Wilcox that drowned in the gravel ponds (sad times think hd was only 12/13 ) so was looking on Internet your posts brought some amazing memories back thankyou :))

Everything you add gets logged by Google and brings even more site visitors.

The name of your friend for example. Where were the gravel ponds?

They were at bottom of nether field as I remember it you went past a row of houses that were kinda all by them selves ... My uncle worked at the labour exchange there and me dad was born on curzon street I think I went to ash well school and chandos then Carlton road school for a year before they shipped you out to the willows

The gravel ponds have been mentioned elsewhere on here before, I think it was in Bazzer from Cornwalls posts.

A boy drowning in the ponds and that name rings a bell , any idea what year it was ? And as Fardy says , they're still there, (They were owned by Gedling pit as a fishing club for a while IMMSC) I'm not sure if the access is as easy as it used to be (Straight down passed the old sidings ) as it appears to be blocked now by this gate

6266910567_87ac4cccef_b.jpg

Top left (little camera in the picture) and they have been renamed "Netherfield lagoons" !!

6266910673_4a9115db94_b.jpg

• 3 months later...

THEY WILL ALWAYS BE NETHERFIELD GRAVEL PITS TO ME AS WE SAID IN OTHER THREADS ABOUT THE PONDS SPENT MANY HAPPY HOURS DOWN THERE, SIMON WILCOX IS AMONG QUIET A FEW YOU MEN AND BOYS I CAN REMEMBER WHO HAVE DROWND OVER THE YEARS IN THE PONDS AND THE RIVER FROM VIDUCT BRIDGE TO THE WIER , MICK MEHEW WHOE PARENTS RAN JACKIE BELLS WAS ONE BUT I MIGHT HAVE THE WRONG BROTHER I I WAS VERY YOUNG AT THE TIME ALAN FROST THAT WAS IN ABOUT 1968 HE WAS SWIMMING WITH MY YOUNGER BROTHER AND HE COULD NOT GET HIM OUT MY BROTHER HAS NEVER SWAM SINCE THAT DAY NOT EVEN IN A SWIMMING POOLTHERE WERE ALSO A COUPLE OF LADS FROM GEDLING IN THE SEVENTIES ALL TRAGIC STORIES BUT WHEN YOU THINK OF ALL THE HUNDREDS OF KIDS WHO PLAYED AND LEARNED TO SWIM IN THE PONDS AND RIVER OVER THE YEARS ITS NOT THAT MANY. BUT IT WASENT JUST THE WATER THAT WAS THE ATRACTION DOWN THERE IT WAS THE WHOLE ENVIROMENT AND THE WILDLIFE. ONE OF THESE DAYS GOING TO FOND OUT IF THE NEW PATH IS SUTABLE FOR MOBILITY SCOOTER AND IF IT ISI AM GOING TO GO AND HAVE A LOOK WHAT ITS LIKE NOW.

• 11 months later...

nearly a year since i last posted on this topic boy how time has flown but have been talking and thinking about it a lot this last few weeks as my sister jean was 70 last week and my younger brother will be turning 60s next week so the memories have been flooding back to when we were all kids living on ethel grove and the things we used to get up to , and various people who lived around the area in the last couple of years i have gone down to the loco centre for events and its amazing who is still about ome are now my face book riends including pete wood who now lives in canada jimmy dewberry who lives in oz and our kath in south africa from a little terace of 18 houses we are certainly scattered about the world jossie shuttleworth in ammerica and others all over gb to my knowledge.

and here we are nearly all of us oap now and it only seems like yesterday . but if theres any out else out there who knows and remembers people from ethel grove debil st area would love to know what they up to now and were they are i know sea side lady is still in mabo spoke to her a few month back. i only hope that i live to be 100 and can look at the cencus from when i was born and say oh i remember them .

• Upvote 1

the green grocers with the potato shoot was armstrongs lindas toy shop or lindas babyland as it later became i used to play with linda when we were young she had been adopted just before june her mum opend the shop hence the name.she hadd every toy you could think off even had her own toy room did not know another child in netherfield who had a room just for theire toys and to play in most had a toy box if they were lucky kept in there bedroom or living room or if they were luck and had a front room. but they always had to be put away at the end od playing. linda just had selvs and draws for hers

• 1 month later...

went out for birthday lunch with old ashwell st school friend today she said they had a bring and buy on at netherfield so after we had eaten we went to have a look it was at st georges church centre and as we walk in on the reception were a couple of booklets one loco village that i have already got the other was the booklet about stafford printers history so if anybody is interested you can get a copy from there i understand they open for lunches every day of the week and there is usualy someone on reception desk

• 3 weeks later...

today we went to the fishing tackle shop in netherfield as were were in therea guy walks in i looks at him and say i know you you old netho ite he says yep but i dont think i know you i sez yes you do if you the person i think you are cliff cox he sez yeh your right i told him who i was and we both laughed not bad considering he now in his late 70s and i had not seen him for about 40 years.

after thatwe went up station rd past the fox past old school noticed kirkys old house still there and on up cavendish rd past old house and then throgh arnold to hucknall tackle shop but taking that journey sure brought back some good and bad memories

• 1 month later...

Reading this thread has literally blown me away an the name "Simon Wilcox" now that was a blast from the past! I used to live at Number 9 Hodgkinson Street from '83 until '95 when I joined the RAF. We had just moved down into Netherfield when we heard about what had happened, I remember his Dad, was big into fishing and did fish the Gravel pits near to Rectory Junction. Now there's a place that everyone seemed to go when it was hot and sunny, if the wind was in the right direction you had fresh air! Netherfield was always subject to an aroma all dependant upon the wind direction. I always seem to remember the waft either from Stoke Lane (Sewage works/ Chettles) from the North East, the gut wrenching pong from the Maggot Farm by the Trent or the sickly stink from the British Sugar at Colwick. I did go home not so long back this year to see how things have changed, and yes my playground has now made way for concrete, steel and tarmac. Chettles is still boiling up offal and the Maggot Farm is still there but how the place has changed! I remember the Loop Road being built when we lived at Gedling before being moved to Netherfield other than that Netherfield Lane end of Victoria Road was just waste land from the former Loco and yards. Now it's just like a hornet nest with cars, lorries and buses jockeying for pole position at the lights. Even now I look at the pictures and think of all the stuff we used to get upto, building dens, making bonfires and just generally being lads when the sidings was your backyard.

There was a lot to be had living in Netherfield, yes it did seem at that time that Netherfield was the dumping ground for hard up families, but I have to say that I have never lived anywhere since where you knew you neighbours. People that I remember as a kid (all now long gone) had time to say "hello" and yes would "dob you in" if you were upto no good, genuine people that would look out for you. We were always out either playing around the streets, on Jackie Bells park or down the sidings, but it's all quiet now.

?

Can anyone remember the big fire that occurred on the Colwick Industrial estates back in the 70's? I think it may have been Armatages, all I remember was seeing smoke near to "ESSO" storage area when we lived at the top of the hill at Gedling (Appletree Lane/ 2 Lynn Avenue) anyone have any info?

• 4 weeks later...

sorry i dont remember the fire we had long gone from netherfield by then we left deabil st in 1963 but my sister lived at the last house on trafic terrace untill they pulled them down ready for the loop rd being built i used to babysit for her on a saturday night untill i had my first son in 76 and whould often visit after that my other sister lived on lnw terrace intill they were pulled down too and althoughit was only a short walk from one to the other i used to hate walking that last bit especially in the dark no lights after second terace untill you got down tolast terrace but not many after the railway building came down it was so bear down there it always seemed a much longer walk than when the buildings were there.

Hello Micheal173,sorry i have no information about the fire you mentioned as i was no longer at Notts in the 1970s, but i saw your address and realised we lived very close to each other my family lived at Berry Hill Grove,and i lived there until i left Notts in 1966.Could our family,s know each other.

Carni

I knew a guy who lived on Berry Hill Grove Early 80s.

I wonder if he was there then? As you went down he was on the left.

Phil Cross Mixed race guy, worked at the pit. CB aerials on his house.

'The Iron Cross' I wonder if he is still there?

Hello mick2me,Yes you are right Phil and Shiela still live there,they were our next door neighbours,I see mainly Shiela when i go home as i still have two sisters there and they always ask each other to get togethers,I don't know phil as well as Shiela but My mam got on well with them both.small world.

Yes indeed, Beefsteak also knows Phil from CB radio days.

Around early 90s he had his 50th which I went to.

I even drove past his house last year just to look.

Did not know he was still there.

I'm not sure when they moved in as i had already gone,but you soon get to know your neighbors round there and sometimes shiela would be at mams having a Park Drive and cuppa when i would go home visiting,Our home was right next door so we saw plenty of each other,I phoned my sister who lives two doors away to check and she confirmed they are still there.We were all into the CB at the time,only having a dabble nothing serious for us,my name was sweet martini, because it was my fave tipple at the time.

I remember 'a' fire down at Colwick when I was fishing there in around 1975, one of the tanks caught fire at the 'Texaco' terminal down on Private Road One. The Police wouldn't let us out from the back of the old "Trent Concrete" offices till the fire was out (2 hours at least !) I got told off for being late home for my dinner !!

I have a vague memory of the big fire that's mentioned, and yes I think it was Armitages or the "Spray and Burgess" furniture folks.

There were a few CB'ers round the pit estate, I can remember one up on the hill.

Face but not name or handle?

We went to somebodies house up that neck of the woods once, both him and his wife were CBers. He was a ??? breaker (Forgot the correct terminology) in that he monitored the emergency channel.
He went to your house too to help us put up that new ariel!

Not sure if you mean our house Beefsteak or mick2me's, Mam didn't have an interest in CB's but my sis and bro in law did,they lived two doors down from Phil and Sheila,they did have an Ariel and went into it in a big way,sorry if you meant someone else.

Nah , this was a white bloke. (I went to Phils house a couple of times) I just remember him (And somebody else too) just walking around on your roof like they were in a playground. I was scared sh@tless just watching them!!

I did think of a couple of others you should know.

Bernard 'Coach' and Nick 'Murdock' (Wife Nadine) on Dales Estate? her father Steve 'Cheeky Chappie'? lived off Carlton Road.