Hi Karlton. Remember it well. That bit of classical music each morning was one of the few redeeming factors of that school, to me anyway. I got exposed to music I never would have at home and love it to this day. Old Ben Gunn the music teacher helped there too. He seemed like ninety years old to me at the time but was probably only in his fifties or so.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I posted this on another page a while ago and I was surprised at the reaction it got.   The railway bridge at Chandos Street; the scene has hardly changed although you won't see steam trains

I was born in Netherfield at No 124 curzon street in my grandparents ( Thomas & Mabel Barratt's) house. I was the first of eventually three children born to Nev & Jean Barratt. Shortly after m

Hi I remember trent fields, muck heaps, colwick loco,played in ouse dyke setting each other to jump across certain places and getting wet through. going under the bridge near the royal oak. Remember

Hi Loppylogs, hope i'm not bothering you too much, That's a nice picture you've got there, he looks a grand chap. We lost our dog about a month ago, border collie, she was a beauty, we miss her loads.

Although school was a bit of a chore, when you think back it was good schooling. for instance I was only late once, never again. Mr. Marsh was very strict. He was a good headmaster, I did hear from a colleague years ago that he commited suicide, so very sad. I can honestly say the teaching I had there made me the decent person I am to-day, and I have to thank them for it.

No, you are not bothering me, glad to chat. My icon is my Beagle, Jake, now four years old. He is a character. Likes to run off with stuff so you will chase him. He's my fourth dog in the last 35 years or so. It really hurts when you finally lose one. Sorry to hear of your loss. Hopefully you can get another best pal. Although the first year or two can be rough, its worth it. Chandos did instill decent moral character when they could. I just was not too fond of their methods. I felt they always operated more by fear than positive re-inforcement. You might want to search on the forum. I seem to remember a thread on the topic. Almost certainly in "schools"

Dave.

Just a thought. We should probably use the PM system. Don't want to Hijack the thread for more personal reminiscences.

• Upvote 1

My sister was married in September 1966 and went to live on Hodgkinson Street Netherfield.............

No ignorance involved, we all have to learn.

When you are logged in you will see a little envelope symbol to the left of your login name. Click on this and a window will come up where you can write your message and put in the name of the member you want to send to. You then post much like posting to the forum. When the member replies you will get a little red notification next to the envelope when you log on. Like when you get a "like" notification. Click on the envelope and Bobs yer uncle.

• 2 weeks later...

karlton ray clements was my brotherand i remember most of those names

barrie whitehead , mick shelton andy turgoose

Can any one remember a marching band called the Lilac Dominoes in the 1950,s used to march down Victoria Road down Deabill Street and round the block . Their theme tune was Moonlight & roses. This may be of intrest to Piggy & Babs , lived in Ethel Grove from 1946 to 1957 at no.9 . my name is Mick Reddish.

Can any one remember a marching band called the Lilac Dominoes in the 1950,s used to march down Victoria Road down Deabill Street and round the block . Their theme tune was Moonlight & roses. This may be of intrest to Piggy & Babs , lived in Ethel Grove from 1946 to 1957 at no.9 . my name is Mick Reddish.

Yes I remember them parading on the cricket field at the time they used to have the coal queen, I have mentioned this previousley somewhere.

I seem to remember a football team that played on cricket field I think they was called 'Carlton All Stars' anyone remember them?

Was there a cricket team that played on there called Colwick Loco?

hi mtck yes i remember you sorry for not answering you before but not been on for a few months you were a little bit younger than our kath and a few years older than me,as you have proberly see on here i have many happy memories off nevo and its people.

did the marchimg band practice in the coop rooms mick. you lived at no 9 before the homes family

Thanks for your post Babs,Always thought the Holmes family lived around no4 or no5 . I used to watch childrens telly there.The people that lived at no.9 after us came Im told from that house that was in Armitages grounds. Think I remember your sister Kath,met her and her mate Lesley on Burton Road in 1965, I was riding a Norton Dominator.my mate Dave Shuttlleworth was on a 350 BSA . He became my bother in law last year,but that's another story. Lots more to tell you.

• 2 weeks later...

mick that would have been me and my mate leslie denoon not our kathkath had already got her son stephen by then,and it was me that was always into bikes kath never liked them much just before i left schoo lbrian evansuncle of malc evans b lived at no 3 with with his wife and son i think his name was brian. he was a couple of years younger than me same age as my brother johncarnt remember who lived no 4.shuttleworth geoff and sue lived at no 2 remmember going to there house to whatch tv they were the first on the terrace to have telly . sorry its taken me so long toreply but have been so busy what with moving at the beging of dec and christmas.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi

I remember trent fields, muck heaps, colwick loco,played in ouse dyke setting each other to jump across certain places and getting wet through. going under the bridge near the royal oak.

Remember the air raid shelters on curzon street and playing on the reck. the second bridge on the path to trent fields had written on the wall in green paint, Hands off Korea, Korea for the Koreans. this was part of our cross country run from Chandos street school. used to go camping down trent fields. spent many happy hours on cricket field and humpty dumpty field.My mates and I started a youth club in the old labour hall on Dunstan street where lots of us met our wives and husbands. They were the days we played out nearly all day in the street and on the reck. I had fantastic parents who worked hard for me and my sisters and believe me times were hard in the years after the war. Please dont call Netherfield, only the people that lived there know how good or bad it was. fantastic friends and neighbors.

• Upvote 3

Hello Neville B, Welcome to Nottstalgia, and we will enjoy reading about your memories of Nottingham and in particular Netherfield. I'm an Ode Gedling Gel. I spent some of my young Teenage years hanging around Netherfield and went to a Youth Club down there in the very early 1960s, can't remember where though, it was on the same side of the main road as Curzon St. Plenty of people on here with memories of Netherfield to share, I hope you have fun on the forum. :)

Welcome Neville B I to was a Gedling Gel and played in many of

the places you mention especially the cricket field. As a young teenager we went to a

coffee bar in Netherfield with a Juke box, quite a new thing for us kids out in the sticks.

Also I have six older brothers five of them went to Chandos street school. Yes happy memories

around Netherfield Carlton and Gedling.

• Upvote 1

Hi Neville B, and welcome!

I'm another Nottstalgian with memories of Netherfield having spent the first 8 years of my life living at the bottom of Dunstan Street, with the Ouse Dyke running across the bottom of our garden. I used to jump over it and go up to the rec. and play, passing a house that other kids had said a witch lived in! I went to Ashwell Street Infants School but then we moved to a new house in Arnold.

I don't have any bad memories of Netherfield but my Mum didn't like living there at all, she always said it was too low lying and damp. So we moved to the top of a hill in Arnold!

Nowadays I do find Netherfield very depressing though ....... Sorry!

Nev B #194 hi Nev I worked with you on Issom's we lived at 109 Harry was the driver We went down dunstan st the other day but now have to go into curzan st and cut across to get to the bottom of dunstan st. hope yer doing ok.