Thought this place needed its own thread.

A strange little place I always thought? Though I lived a quarter of a mile away from it near Carlton Square.

You seemed to be in a different world once you crossed that railway crossing.

My first experience was working there as a young apprentice electrician, building the Coop supermarket around 1970.

It seemed like you were back in the 50's.

I mean there was that strange cafe at the back of the coop, with the funny spire roof. I expected a Teddy boy jumping out

of the front door with a bike chain wrapped round his fist, to attack me at any minute!

Later there was a brill shop on the main road. Cheap Stuff! Garfinkles of Netherfield, (80's?)

Or as Ian would Say, "Garfields of Netherfinkle!"

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I posted this on another page a while ago and I was surprised at the reaction it got.   The railway bridge at Chandos Street; the scene has hardly changed although you won't see steam trains

I was born in Netherfield at No 124 curzon street in my grandparents ( Thomas & Mabel Barratt's) house. I was the first of eventually three children born to Nev & Jean Barratt. Shortly after m

Hi I remember trent fields, muck heaps, colwick loco,played in ouse dyke setting each other to jump across certain places and getting wet through. going under the bridge near the royal oak. Remember

A long time ago I used to work down Carlton Road and later in another place quite close to Carlton Square. Some of the lads in those places used to call Netherfield 'Nether-pighole'.

Just thought i should add my two pennorth on the subject of netherfield seeing as i have lived there for the past 35 years! I admit it is not the same as it was when we first moved here, then again not many places are! We live on a very nice avenue,its a pity we couldnt just pick it up and move it somewhere else! Its not the neighbours we have problems with,its the yobs that hang around. Plus the fact that our avenue is a cut-through road to others. We have quite a few shops that have shut down recently including the 2 charity shops and a greetings card shop. On the plus side its handy for work, i work in carlton square and hubby is caretaker at the loco centre so we can both walk to work.

. On the plus side its handy for work, i work in carlton square and hubby is caretaker at the loco centre so we can both walk to work.

I thought the Loco sheds closed years ago, or is it a care in the community place (just a joke honest)

Ha Ha. The loco centre is a youth club which people hire out for karate and the like! It is where the old church was on the corner of dennis street just past jackie bells (the railway hotel)

I appologise (I thought it was a spelling mistake for local)

Is the Brasso still there ?

Yes the brasso is still there. We have been members for years, though it doesnt belong to the railway anymore,somebody else bought it and done it up a bit. And it is now called the L.M.R.C.A. club. They still have artistes on on a saturday and sunday night. And members can hire the concert room out for private parties. I hired it for hubbys 60th birthday.

I have not been in there for 30 years (That was for a wedding reception I wonder if they are still married?)

Yes I remember the kinky bu**er always talking about willies as I recall (Nice lady though!!)

Ha Ha. The loco centre is a youth club which people hire out for karate and the like! It is where the old church was on the corner of dennis street just past jackie bells (the railway hotel)

So the old Trinity Methodist church closed down eh?

Parents used to send me there 50 odd years ago. Probably just to get me out of their hair on a Sunday.

Netherfield was very different then. Across the road from the church was a newsagent named Otter. Next to him was a sort of run down radio repair shop. Then there was Bell's field. Each fall a fair would come in there for a few days. Probably a spin off from Goose fair.

They were safe times no YOBS unless we counted but we were all pretty harmless. A cop often used to stand next to the payphone that stood across from Bells field next to the labor exchange. We were scared of him even if we hadn't done anything. Very different days.

At the top of Godfrey street was another newsagent. Shaw's I think. Across the street from a beer-off where I was often sent with an empty bottle for a fill up for my Grandad. Right about there is a McDonalds now. In 97 my late wife and I sat in that Mcd's nursing a coffee and looking out at the new shopping center. The Colwick loop road now stands where I used to fly my kite so many years ago.

Interesting to look it up on Google earth now. I can even see the house I grew up in down in Hodgkinson street.

I guess this really got me going but that's nostalgia isn't it?

Dave (Loppy)

Hi dave. The beer off you talk about is still there! The job centre that used to be the labor exchange closed down last year. The old church on the corner of dennis street is now part of the loco centre and they use it for karate classes and trampolining. And by the way the big cross is still there on the wall inside! The beeroff is at the top of dunstan street, where we lived for the first 8 years when we moved into netherfield.

A mate of mine moved to Dunstan st late sixties (no 125). I remember Pearl who lived a few doors away and Elaine Blood who live the other end of Dunstan st. We used to go to the fair on Victoria road and fishing down at the old gravel pits/lakes. If the wind was in the wrong direction there was a nasty smell, was it from Stoke Bardolph or a maggot farm near the river?

Den

Hi den. I have heard of elaine blood. We moved into dunstan street in 1973, 3 weeks before i had my daughter. The bad smell you are talking about if the wind was in the wrong direction was from Chettles! It is down stoke lane and they sort out old animal bones! And if you happen to be travelling behind one of their lorries when they were taking another load down there to be sorted even if your car window was closed you had to hold a hankie to your nose!

By the way we lived at number 80 on dunstan street.

As I mentioned elsewhere we could tell when it was going to rain up in Carlton when we could smell "The smell" 'Jacky Bells fair moved up to the top of Mar Hill Road in Carlton for a few years Mick will tell you better on those dates.

Good to hear from y'all.

There were at least three sources of pretty bad smells as I remember.

The sewage farm at Stoke. The maggot factory, although never noticed that one too bad. In the fall the sugar beet factory. Not exactly a bad smell just sort of sickly sweet I guess. Me mam always used to say it was going to rain when that smell came and it usually did. West wind I suppose.

Netherfield was once a pretty good industrial center. Bournes factory, Staffords the Printers, and the loco were some the major employers. Last time I was there Bournes had gone, replaced by houses and the loco was gone back in the seventies. I have some 8mm movies that I took a few years ago of the area. I'll have to get them transferred to digital then I can post them one of these days.

Served my apprenticeship at Clarks of Netherfield in the early sixties. He had a store on the corner of Meadow Road and Victoria road. Joe Clark and his store are now long gone. Last time I was there in the late 90s it was a travel agent I think.

Not sure why anyone would call it the swamp. It is low lying relative to the trent but we never got flooded in my years there.

Hard to think about that church, Chrissy. You know how it is when you are kid. It is like things have always been there and always will be there. Comes as a shock when you go back after many years away and they are long gone.

There were a lot of Methodist churches for such a small area when I was a kid. The Wesleyan Methodist on Victoria road was replaced by a petrol station while I still lived in the UK. Then there was one on Ashwell street.

As I understand it John Wesley (Founder of the Methodist church) went through that way in the 1700s and a lot of people got converted. I guess as they died off and industry changed so did the community but they were nice buildings in their day and could probably seat about 400 each.

So where is the labor exchange now? Probably Nottingham I would guess. Never actually went in the place always had a job.

When I was a kid my dad used to take me for a walk alongside the railyards which led into some fields. There was a railway bridge over the Trent where some used to swing on a rope from the bridge and drop into the river for a swim. Probably built up down to the river now I would think?

My folks often used to walk that way on Saturday night, past the Trent Lock and on to the Ferry Boat in at Stoke Bardolph. I used to get left outside with an orange juice while they went in for the beer. Actually ran into Benny Hill down there one night. I guess he was appearing at the Empire and had gone down there for a couple after the show.

Dave

It was usualy the sugar beet that we could smell regarding the onset of rain.

It was always an extra depressingly long walk to the dole office from up Cavendish Road to sign on, in the 80's I was 'layed off' a few times and had the ignominity of having to trek down there daily to see if there were any jobs. Never made to feel wanted which made it all the harder to drag yourself the 2 miles each way.

Hi all. Talking of the bournes factory dave and staffords the printers which later became Lonsdale and Bartholemews, I worked at bournes from 1971 until just before it shut down in 1973. My hubby worked at the printers from 1968 to 1990 when it closed. One of my brothers used to work at the sugar beet factory. Two of hubbys brothers were at colwick loco, one was a driver, the other was a fireman. The travel agents that used to be on the corner of meadow road has recently been opened as a italian restaurant! And the nearest job centre is either arnold or nottingham!

Hi all. Talking of the bournes factory dave and staffords the printers which later became Lonsdale and Bartholemews, I worked at bournes from 1971 until just before it shut down in 1973. My hubby worked at the printers from 1968 to 1990 when it closed. One of my brothers used to work at the sugar beet factory. Two of hubbys brothers were at colwick loco, one was a driver, the other was a fireman. The travel agents that used to be on the corner of meadow road has recently been opened as a italian restaurant! And the nearest job centre is either arnold or nottingham!

Wow! talk about change.

Hard to believe old JP Clark's store is now an Italian Restaurant. Not that there is anything wring with an Italian restaurant. I can just imagine old JP rolling in his grave over that one. Just SO different. When I started work there he had quite a big TV showroom as well as doing electrical contracting. My grandmother bought her first tv from them in 52.

There used to be a butcher's shop on the end of the building when he closed Joe bought the store, knocked a doorway through, and turned it into a gift shop. He seemed to do quite well with it too.

What major employers are left there now?

Dave

British Railways Service mens Association Organisation ...........(For Dyslexics)

Who is the butcher in Netherfiel, used to have a little shop, then moved to bigger premises opposite the coop?

Mick Something?

Hi all. Firstly the Brasso comes from the initials of B R S A and it is right on the junction of the colwick loop road traffic lights near to morrisons. The butcher that moved further down is Mick Robinson. Believe it or not his old shop is still where it was and i dont think anything has been done to it! Although the other building next door and above the shop have been turned into flats. There isnt any major employers as such in netherfield now the factories have gone,its mainly shop work, but there is still quite a few factories on the colwick industrial estate. Hilarys Blinds,Armitages, Ken Wilkins, to name but a few.