• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I posted this on another page a while ago and I was surprised at the reaction it got.   The railway bridge at Chandos Street; the scene has hardly changed although you won't see steam trains

I was born in Netherfield at No 124 curzon street in my grandparents ( Thomas & Mabel Barratt's) house. I was the first of eventually three children born to Nev & Jean Barratt. Shortly after m

Hi I remember trent fields, muck heaps, colwick loco,played in ouse dyke setting each other to jump across certain places and getting wet through. going under the bridge near the royal oak. Remember

the last time I drove past it was in a sorry state,,,,, and I asked my dad about it & he said it had been closed for donkeys and nobody knew why it wasn't being re-developed.

It did go through my mind to look into it,,,, but when you've looked into one lido etc ,,,,,,

was far too busy at the time & I can't recall when that visit was.

Had some terrific days out there,,,,,,, all I remember was it seemed a hell of a lot colder than the other lido's we used.

Baz

Here are a couple of arial shots of said area , IMMSC there were two tunnels under the railway although I never went in them .

colwicktunnel2.jpg

You can make out the entrance to said tunnel in this pic

colwicktunnel.jpg

Bought hubby a cracking book for crimbo all about colwick loco! Its got some great pics in it of the old terraced houses that were down the bottom of netho! My sister lived on LNW terrace for quite a few years from about 1966. Also 2 of hubbys brothers worked at colwick loco. x

• Like 1

TRENT PONDS & THOSE TUNNELS

I have edited Beefys pic to id where I believe the famous tunnel is that Bazzer and myself played in all those years ago - blue arrow points to it. On the other side of the tracks I have tried to mark the water -course. Believe it or not this stream comes in from Netherfield BUT I think it actually comes from Carlton and issues from a sewage/ manhole thing in some woods at the bottom of Douglas Avenue! In pink I have marked where there used to be another much bigger wider tunnel that was half filled with earth in the 1960's . Its much nearer the Trent and looked to have been used for storage at some time. That should still be there but may have been blocked up. Here goes with the pic

colwicktunnel2paths.jpg

Thats the area that I enlarged in the second pic. The stream runs down the side of the Inn for a Penny and the cricket field . There is also an underground stream (Piped) that runs down the Foxhill road area of Carlton. That issues forth in that area too but i don't know where.

Thats the area that I enlarged in the second pic. The stream runs down the side of the Inn for a Penny and the cricket field . There is also an underground stream (Piped) that runs down the Foxhill road area of Carlton. That issues forth in that area too but i don't know where.

The first we saw of the Foxhill road stream was on 'Rusher'. It came out of a concrete pipe of about 3ft diameter opposite First Avenue (or Bighams shop). We spent many happy hours going up the pipe with a candle or torch,,,,, there were a couple of manholes higher up. The stream ran the length of Rusher, behind the houses on Foxhill Road then went back into concrete pipe at the rear of the playground on the corner of Carnarven Grove.

We played on rusher all the time in those days,,,,, sometimes up to ya thighs in swamp,,, pulling the plants out of the mud & using them as spears. The stream (or dyke - if we can still use the term) was a constant play area,,,,, {never did know where it came from, but it was always used durex floating along,,, or caught up on the banks,,,, }. We made little boats out of anything that floated (almost ?!?!),,, dammed it,,,, altered course etc etc.

There was me, Jeff, the Twins, Roy etc etc.

For some reason I couldn't edit my previous thread. It allowed me to reload it & alter it,,,, then I got an Error message saying that I don't have permission to Edit my own post !

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I recall a stream on a bit of waste ground opposite the Royal Oak,,,, but didn't know where it went - obviously down past the Cricket Field (tho' I can't see it on Google today)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cricket Field:

There used to be a load of concrete blocks just under the railway bridge (tank deterrents I heard). These were 'cast' in situ',,,,, & great for playing around.

A far more dangerous game, was sliding down the retaining wire to a telegraph pole on top of the embankment,,,, & over the lower train-lines,,,, as a train was passing under us !!! Usually we'd use our ever present balaclava on our hands,,, but anything would suit,,,, if you didn't mind it getting burnt with friction after a few goes,,,,,,,,,, one time, the daftest of the bunch (?!?!) was rushing to slide down as a train was coming,,, & tried it without a hand protection,,,, the only thing that stopped me (I mean 'him') dropping off, was the fact that his feet were already hitting the train carriages,,,, & he was scared shitless of what his dad would say if he fell off,,,, onto (or even under) the train !!!!!!!!

Stupid - most certainly.

If you look closely on Google earth the dyke can be seen

When they were building the OAP flats on Foxhill near to Carlton Square , they replaced some of the pipes in the area of the old waste ground (back of St Pauls) and in Carlton Square itself (Where they built the car park next to the police station) It was our 'Dare' to walk the length of the open pipes (Probably about 300 yards but it felt like 300 miles) scared s41t le55 that some one was going to fill the holes in whilst we were down there (Even on a Sunday afternoon!!!!!!)

We played for hours on that stretch of the train line too , climbing on the outside of the footbridge and the old colliery train line bridge too. That was about as adventurous as we got !! Although I do recall seeing how far someone could run across the cricket pitch with a lit banger in their hand , how I, sorry he, didn't kill my , sorry him, self I don't know!!

• 1 month later...

So true, Baz.

I left Chandos boys school in 1959. Soon as I turned 15. Couldn't get out of there fast enough!

Worked at Ericssons in Beeston for a while before getiing an apprenticeship at Clarkes.

Had some guys from Cavendish there. Tony Hawley, Clive Davis. Maybe they ring some bells with you.

Don't know where they are now or even if they are still alive. hope they are.

Dave

I left Cavo school in august '57. My first job was production office assistant at Stafford's the printers. Jeez, where has time gone.? Baz

Hi baz. My hubby used to work at staffords (as was) It had changed its name to lonsdales in 1968 when he started there as a printers assistant. He stayed there for about 23 years till it closed.

I left Cavo school in august '57. My first job was production office assistant at Stafford's the printers. Jeez, where has time gone.? Baz

Great to hear the old school mentioned, I left in 1958 . there was history teacher, Mr Norfolk , and Mr Disney for geography. I will have to look at my autograph book to see more as well as pupils from that year.

Great to hear the old school mentioned, I left in 1958 . there was history teacher, Mr Norfolk.

I remember Mr Norfolk,,,,, he used to get quite annoyed when almost all the class wrote Mr Norfuck on their books ?!

I also remember a gorgeous young lady teacher called Foster.

Am trying to think of the gardening teacher (Lambly/Lamkin),,,,, someone left a letter on his desk calling him all the nasty names under the sun. That was the first time I've seen steam coming out of someones ears ! Mind you - he was a nasty 'orrible piece of sh*te anyway.

Was Mr Broad one of the woodwork teachers ?

Who was the games teacher,,,,, Blenkinsop or Freshwater ? They were both games teachers, but I can't remember from which school.

Can't remember other teachers,,,,, until you remind me.

Baz

Believe it or not , Mr Norfolk (Or "Pop off" as he was nicknamed) , was still there when I left in 77

bloody 'ell,,,,, he was an old man back in 59/61 !

Anyone remember other teachers names from that period (apart from Joe Smith) ?

or indeed, any pupils that stood out in those heady days ?

I left Cavo' in '61 & went to Gedling school till '63.

Likewise - anyone remind me of the teachers there (& pupils) at the time ?

My form mistress had a french name which I can just about remember (she's in my school photo),,,, but have no eyed deer how to spell it.

Baz

Teachers that may have been there when you were. Markeilie, and Cappendale.?? Jackson and Teale the science teachers

• 1 year later...

The name of the stream is the Ouse dyke runs all the way from Mapperley through Carlton and Netherfield into the trent near Netherfield Lagoons a lot of it was piped underground dont no were it starts though. Spent many a happy hour or two fishing for tiddlers and grayfish in this dyke first when i lived in Netherfield and the on rusher fields when we moved to cavendish rd. could go on and on about the cricket fields and trent fields as we called them then spent much of my time in these places as i was growing up also on the Neatherfield muck hills behind were morrisons now is on old pram wheels in the summer sledging in the winter. colecting the hazel nut from the trees there.

I think the Ouse Dyke must have run under or through the railway yards at that time as it came out of a pipe right opposite the entrance to the engine sheds. Had a few happy hours and grazes sledding down those cinder banks out there. Some kids dug tunnels in the sandy soil alongside the dyke too. Miracle nobody got buried alive. There was another dyke that ran down from Colwick station and joined the Ouse in that same area. We used to try to shoot water rats with a catapult in that little stream. Lots of mud in there too. To fall in was called "getting a booty."

No obesity in those days we were out there from after school to bedtime every day doing all kinds of crazy stuff. Don't seem to remember any homework in those days. thumbsup

Yes thats right first into the big oily pond and then on down by brasso playing fields down past muck hills and then in between muck hills and horse fields my friend Leslie Denoon kept her horses in there we had to cross a little brige near bottom of LNW TERRACE,to get to them.Then it went parralel with the railway line going under one of the tunnells out into the fields and into the trent near the viduct.Some of the railway signal men at the box before the viduct would let us go across to the Radcliffe side of the river were we would sometimes spend the day if we had got the money we would come back to Netherfield on the train if not we had to go and wait at the top of the bridge watching out for trains and wait untill the signal man signaled to let us know it was safe to cross. I only tried once to go up under the bridge did not like the hights and struggled with my little legs to reach so would not go again.

Never had much money but dont think it did us any harm many happy hours spent many happy hours in and around Netherfield so many great places to play and explore within easy walking distance , often we would take a piknic and be gone all day when the weather was good nothing fancy bread and jam mainly and a couple of bottles of water mum usually made us some sort of pie as well on a enamel plate , might be made from the stew pot or when in season rubarb or apples my favorites were strawberry and rasberry grown on my dads alotment and at the end of school hoidays apple and blackberry mum was a great pastry maker, If we were lucky we got potted meat or fish paste on our bread and a bit of diluted juice in the water when mum was feeling flush.

Did you ever go scrummping at the white house past brasso field loppylugs sposed to have been the goast of the grey lady there.

Did you ever go scrummping at the white house past brasso field loppylugs sposed to have been the goast of the grey lady there.

No, never did the scrumping thing. Would have stayed well clear anyway if I'd thought there was a ghost down there. :unsure: