• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I posted this on another page a while ago and I was surprised at the reaction it got.   The railway bridge at Chandos Street; the scene has hardly changed although you won't see steam trains

I was born in Netherfield at No 124 curzon street in my grandparents ( Thomas & Mabel Barratt's) house. I was the first of eventually three children born to Nev & Jean Barratt. Shortly after m

Hi I remember trent fields, muck heaps, colwick loco,played in ouse dyke setting each other to jump across certain places and getting wet through. going under the bridge near the royal oak. Remember

Nah , that was Pete, Timber Wolf up near the entrance to Carlton Central School. i went round to help him put his new twig up after he had a lightning strike on the other one. (fortunately he'd unplugged it beforehand)

• 10 months later...

I noticed your bit about going to Trinity Methodist. I used to attend reluctantly around 70 years ago, when the Daft brothers used to run the Sunday School. I usually went with Brian Scott from Park Avenue. I remember Mr Cupid the Caretaker(?), Mr Truman teacher, and old Mr Wright local preacher. Iram J Wall was the Minister, a very kindly man, and never forget the Anniversary's when scholars had to go on to the platform and sing "Who is on the Lord's side" etc.

I would be pleased to hear more

Alan Broadhurst

Welcome aboard!

You mention some names there that I had almost forgotten. I was always sent to Sunday School. My parents were not churchgoers. I suppose I really didn't want to go but I did make some friends there. Interesting to be reminded of some of those names. I guess you would call them pillars of the church. Wonder what happened to them all?

Hope you'll keep posting. Would love to hear more of your memories.

• 2 months later...

Thankyou was really strange how I got here today as a car passed me that had the number plate Wilcox and I remember a Simon Wilcox that drowned in the gravel ponds (sad times think hd was only 12/13 ) so was looking on Internet your posts brought some amazing memories back thankyou smile.png)

I went through school with Simon right up to the tragedy, i still remember the shock of hearing the news.

I was born in Netherfield at No 124 curzon street in my grandparents ( Thomas & Mabel Barratt's) house. I was the first of eventually three children born to Nev & Jean Barratt. Shortly after my birth we moved to number 5 Norman Villas at the bottom of Dunstan Street.

It is at norman villas where i spent my formative years and i have so many fond memories of the place. Like many have said on here, we didn't have much but we didn't let that stop us. The dyke that has been mentioned several times used to run at the foot of our gardens and i was never out of it as a kid, oh the wallopings i have had for coming in soaked through lol.

My dad and the folks of norman villas built a footbridge over the dyke to allow access to the llotments and the path down to chandos street bridge. My dad then got the allotment directly behind our house, yet another adventure playground. He also hinged one of the high boards that formed the perimeter of the loco yard so we could nip through and bag the coal that fell off the coal trucks coming from gedling pit. During a minors strike in the 70's we got chased by the railway police whilst collecting coal for my gran.

When i was about 11 we moved to 7 Asper street (right next to the garage). I lived there until i joined the army in 82. My mum used to run the tuck shop at the new youth club on ley street during this period.

I'll stop for now and once some more memories return i'll post again. And for all the memories you have stirred also, THANK YOU.

• Upvote 4

Nathan, so I think you must have lived one side of the 'entry' and I lived the other side, albeit several years earlier. A morbid story concerning your house, if that was the one, was that there was a spinster living there during my time next door who committed suicide by gassing herself in the house! I do remember her, my parents invited her in for a drink on a Christmas morning and ......... funny the things you remember ....... I was lying on the floor reading my Rupert Annual that Santa had just brought me!! I remember my Mum saying after the poor lady had been found dead that she was thinking about us next door and had left a window open so the gas didn't seep through to our house. I'm pretty sure that the lady had some sort of shop in the property.

• Upvote 1

mr cupit lived on traffic terace always warned by parents and other parents in the area not to go in his house he might have been a piller of the church but not well thought of in the local community loppylugs.

nathan i bet your dad got a few wallapings too for falling in the dykewhen he was young,think most netherfield kids fell in the dyke at some point in there lifes that dyke was so long and the kids in netherfield played around it somewere along its route

Lizzie, yes we lived one side. If you orientate yourself so you are looking at the Villas from Dunstan street ours was left of the entry. (5)

I have never heard that story of the lady gassing herself, i will have to ask dad.

Its strange what memories remain with you, such as the meter man coming to empty the gas meter and giving the rebate there and then in shilling coins.

The willow tree that dad planted in the garden. (he put his fork through my plimsoll by accident and it missed my toes by going between)

One of my earliest memories is a chimney fire, that dad says i shouldn't remember as i was only about 2 or 3 but i distinctly remember the firemen coming into my bedroom and ripping off the box work that dad had put around the upstairs grate so they could better fight the chimney fire.

Once i get home from work (i work abroad) i will search the photographs and get some uploaded to Photobucket and post links for you all (we have hundreds)

• Upvote 1

nathan dont supose in your family photoes you still have a photo of the dethridge twins seth and his twin being held by the midwife on the dorstep sortly after there birth the midwife was my grama hunter who dilivered them it was the only photo we had of her we had a copy but it diapered along with a only photo of grandad .

babs

• Upvote 1

Seth and Ron are my great uncles (mama's brothers) so i will have a root round or indded ask my aunty Joan who also has hundreds of photographs, you never know we may just come up trumps.

I will have a look at the thread Cliff and see whats what.

Incidentally do you remember the shop on the corner of curzon street and what is now ley street (where the community centre is) that was my aunts shop at one stage :)

thanks for that nathan when you speak to your auntie joan say barbara clements said to say hello. remember the shop well often went in there for sweets when i was playing that way remember going to joans house a lot when she was making our bridesmaids dress it was about 2 or 3 houses up from your gramas house

• Upvote 1

think most of us remember meter man comming to empty the meters for mum it ment she had a few bob to spear and we would get a treat maybe a shop brought cake from smiths bakers next to reads cycles ir a few extra sweets or even a toy or a book from lydas toy shop some would go back in the meter to last a few days till payday

• Upvote 1
  • 6 months later...

anyone remember pupils and teachers at Chandos school 1951 - 1955 Mr Coates headmaster, and then Mr Marsh (music teacher) who took over as head teacher. Mr bulmer (science) Mr Marlow. Mr Curtiss (metal work) Mr Still (joinery) Mr Winter. Pop Stanley. Mr Scott' Mr Rutt.

Hetherington (head boy) M Shelton, B whitehead A Turgoose d Bethell H Clements R Collingwood J Shepherd N Brownlow D cronk etc

• Upvote 1

I was at Chandos 56-59. Remember a few of the folks mentioned. Marsh was the headmaster. I was in pop's class for second year. In Still's class for woodwork and tech drawing. He was a pleasant soft spoken guy. (Unlike a few of the others) In Winter's class for the last term before I left at Christmas 59. Glad to be away from there. School days were not the happiest days of my life. I could say a lot more but that's enough.

• Upvote 1

#174 Hi Loppylugs, Chandos old boy, one thing is very clear in my mind is that every morning we was all assembled, and had to listen to a piece of classical music of his choice, you could hear a pin drop for those three minutes, he would stand there and give a nod to some boy to begin to put on the record which would obviously be a 78,. occasionly when a piece of music of that nature comes on the wireless, it brings back memories of my scooldays, which as you say not the happiest days of my life too.

• Upvote 2