I suppose woodwork teachers were like most other teachers some good some idiots.  We had two at the Chandos academy during my incarceration there.  One was a little Hitler, always screaming and shouting at the lads.  The other, who's class I was fortunate to be in was an extremely pleasant soft spoken man who was always good natured even on the rare occasions he got mad.  Needless to say he got a lot more respect.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our son is a teacher and we are very proud of him. He was a punk rocker and went off the rails sometimes. We always supported him and welcomed his mates at home and they showed us a lot of respect. He

Well my son is a teacher and he has had to go in as usual. He teaches 'difficult' children who have 'difficult' parents and homes. He has to physically restrain pupils at times.  A lot of teacher

Some interesting posts here! I recall an occasion when a boy was excluded as a result of a serious incident.  The next day his parents brought him into school saying that the school should look a

I was also Crap at Metalwork..(Padstow).......but the Teacher Mr Spears was a great bloke............I made a 'Rod-rest' and he asked about 4 of us to line up so he could examine our work......I had just taken it out of the ;Furnace' thing and tried to tell him but he told me to shut up and took hold of it..........His eyes bulged and he let out a long scream..........and for one of the very few times I heard a teacher swear.........he was not best pleased and yelled ''F,,,,,G HELL YOU LITTLE B,,,,,D..............still think he liked me.......bless................lol.

• Upvote 3

At Berridge the metal work shop was in the prefab annex on Nuthall Rd., next to the tannery (phew!). The teacher was a quiet man who got us absorbed into making things. Never any trouble. Can't remember his name though. We also walked to Nuthall Rd annex for tech drawing, gardening and football. I enjoyed the days at Nuthall Rd. I also enjoyed woodwork although Mr Kendrick was feared by all. I never saw him punish anyone. His technique was to put the fear of God into everyone with his yard long steel ruler. He would pace around the benches and whack it on the bench threateningly. The steel ruler had developed a curve at the end through years of whacking benches. He taught me well and I still have a cutlery box, book ends (with secret dovetails) and a bread board that I made in his class. I still enjoy wood work and metal work and feel that I was taught well. I wonder if woodwork, metalwork, tech drawing and gardening are still on the school curriculum? 

Could the metalwork teacher have been named Kurtin or kurtain (spelling?) PP.. He was a metalwork and math teacher at Chandos for my first year or so there.  Nice quiet even tempered guy.  Too pleasant for that place.  Not sure where he went but some school benefited.

At Ellis we were allowed to pick out subject after year one, wood or metal. I chose metal work and we had a great craft shop with all the gear and a very good teacher.

I don't think they would allow a craft shop like that today, lathes, pedestal drills, brazing hearths etc can be dangerous, to much so for this PC world.

Where craft teachers actually trained teachers of chaps transferred from industry? Just a thought.

• 3 years later...

These teachers getting my goat moaning about unsafe working conditions, you don’t hear supermarket workers bus & railway workers, postmen & delivery divers moaning & they’ve worked all the way through, while teachers spent months at home doing nothing :angry2:

• Like 2

Well my son is a teacher and he has had to go in as usual. He teaches 'difficult' children who have 'difficult' parents and homes. He has to physically restrain pupils at times. 

A lot of teachers have not had a jab yet and testing is ad hoc. Unlike supermarket workers their 'customers' don't wear face protection and are 30 to a room. 

Sorry RR but you have no bloody idea!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

PP you are so right to make this point.

I did similar work to your son when I was a wage slave and keep in contact with younger folk who are still working. Their situation is very difficult indeed.

It ought to be relatively straightforward to prioritise the distribution of the vaccine according to what society thinks most important. If you want to inoculate the vulnerable groups first, rather than workers, then accept that the virus will continue to be transmitted wherever folk get together or mingle. If you want to protect those workers that have to mix with other folk (and incidentally make it possible for the economy to function) health workers, police, social workers, transport staff and others including teachers then make them the priority. The problem with this administration is that it finds it difficult to face up to tough decisions of this kind and in keeping with the populist fervour that seems to inform most of their thinking they make commitments to all sorts of groups and are then are unable to keep to them. It is a sad state of affairs.

• Like 3

I have a relative who is in the teaching profession and I can assure that they were not “doing nothing” during the first lockdown. Who do you think was sorting out the “remote learning”, doing lessons by zoom etc? It certainly wasn’t the government who promised laptops etc for every pupil who needed them which never materialised. 
It makes me very angry when teachers are vilified by the press and the government. If they are “following the science” as the mantra goes then schools would be closed as Sage have advised. Having a decisive government who could make decisions that are needed would help, perhaps we wouldn’t be having 50,000+ cases a day with an alarming number of hospitalisations and unnecessary deaths.

• Like 4