The Fox and Hounds, Blidworth Bottoms

Some of us have had a mump about some of the boozers we don't rate too highly, (me as much as most)! so a little credit for a good old Nottinghamshire country pub to redress the balance then.

I find that I visit less and less different pubs these days, tending to stick to what I know is reliable. I know I'm not on my own in that here. Once little place I do return to time and again though is The Fox and Hounds at Blidworth Bottoms. I've always liked this little place and find myself up there quite regularly with the missus. I'd really appreciate any other suggestions for nice country pubs in other parts of Nottinghamshire for a swill or a nosebag.

A fairly complimentary few words then. No, I'm not on commission! :-)

Bottoms up! The Fox and Hounds, Blidworth Bottoms, Notts

Pub-7by5.jpg

• Upvote 1
Some of us have had a mump about some of the boozers we don't rate too highly, (me as much as most)! so a little credit for a good old Nottinghamshire country pub to redress the balance then.

Bottoms up! The Fox and Hounds, Blidworth Bottoms, Notts

Hi Stu,

You should post a review here on the Beerintheevening website. A worthy site to guide us to better boozers - and away from those that are not so good.

Mines a Harveys! (Can't get Harvest Pale in my part of East Sussex!)

SR

Stu: There is a good pub in Lound, just north of Retford. I don't know the name, but there is only one pub in the village! No food, nothing special, just a good "local" pub. They sell an excellent pint of "Black Sheep" bitter!

Although it is off the beaten path, and a fair distance from Nottingham (but within striking distance for Den), I can highly recommend the John Thompson at Ingleby, near Melbourne. It meets Dens requirement for "local" beer - they brew their own! The pub is owned by the Thompson family, and although John himself is probably getting up in the years, it may still be possible to have a pint of "John Thompson" in the "John Thompson" served to you by John Thompson!

http://johnthompsoninn.com/

Cheers Eric.

I tend to take more store from word-of-mouth recommendation than anything else really. I'll keep those in mind. The pics of the John Thompson there are really attractive. I'll try and think of a couple more myself.

• 7 years later...

Stu #1 and Ian #6

Memories of being taken on long walks with mum and dad either 4WD my brother in his push chair down Beck Lane or via the White Lion, Black Bull and then down Field Lane to the Fox and Hounds. Once when wheeling my brother down the steepest bit of Field Lane I got distracted by looking for birds nests in the hedgerows and dad had to rescue my brother who had set off for the pub in his pushchair is I had not put the brake on properly.

The reward at the bottom of the hill and while playing in the children's play area at the side of the pub was a bottle of Sunecta Mixed Fruit pop and a packet of Smiths crisps, and if you were lucky two little blue bags of salt, if not none at all.

Great little story, Oztalgian - I can picture the runaway!

I've many pleasant memories of that area myself and I like the way that the Fox and Hounds sits slightly isolated at the bottom of the hill there.

One of the walks I'd take around that area employs a stroll along Ricket Lane from Blidworth to Ravenshead which I find very pleasant. Over the A60 at the top near the 'lollypop tree' and into Little Ricket Lane before heading into Newstead Abbey the 'back way'. A good way to earn a pint at The Hutt afterwards.

• Upvote 1

I haven't eaten in there for a few years, Ian. Used to be okay at one time - one of the better chains (Chef & Brewer) which included The Ferry Inn at Wilford, the Wheatsheaf at Burton Joyce and The Traveller's Rest at Mapperley.

The Hutt definitely was a Berni, I frequented it many times in the 70's.

Used to drop into the Fox & Hounds quite often of an evening after walking Bruce, my old Labrador, around Bildworth woods.

Stopped going to the woods when I noticed that mine was the only car in the car park which had a dog in, as opposed to being there for the dogging.

Been some big blocks of concrete placed in the woods car park entrance for some years, Rob ;)

I used to run there and suddenly noticed lots of cars driving in as I was leaving near dusk!

First time I went to the Fox & Hounds many years ago they were still using paraffin lamps due to a power cut.

Was in the Ferry Inn at Wilford just before Christmas, it is mainly an eatery but the pub type grub was very good and a couple of decent ales to go with it.

One good thing to come out of the Clifton Tram extension there is a stop near the Ferry Boat.

Stu #8

That walk is a fair old distance and to walk all that way warrants more than one pint.

Interesting to walk along Ricketts Lane and see the "Druid Stone" but I have never heard of the "lollypop tree". If you mean the tree where Ricketts Lane meets the A60 it was known locally as the "table top tree". If it was not this one can you give a little more info as it may be something I have missed.

If you are in that area again go to the Bird in Hand pub and have a pint sitting out the back, a fantastic view overlooking the fields and the Fox and Hounds which if I remember correctly used to be a Kimberly Ales pub.

I think we made a nine mile walk or it

That's the tree, mate. whatever we call it, very much a local landmark.

Also, along Rickett Lane is Fountain Dale House where Sir Walter Scott stayed and wrote part of 'Ivanhoe'. He called it 'Copmanhurst' in his novel.

I know the Bird in Hand well enough. Had many a pint out the back enjoying the superb view. Lovely area.

• Upvote 1